Start by marking “. . . And His Lovely Wife: A Campaign Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man” as Want to Read:
. . . And His Lovely Wife: A Campaign Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man

. . . And His Lovely Wife: A Campaign Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Writing with warmth and humor, Connie Schultz reveals the rigors, joys, and absolute madness of a new marriage at midlife and campaigning with her husband, Sherrod Brown, now the junior senator from Ohio. She describes the chain of events leading up to Sherrod’s decision to run for the Senate (he would not enter the fray without his wife’s unequivocal support), and her own ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published June 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about . . . And His Lovely Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about . . . And His Lovely Wife

Melissa
I downloaded this book onto my iPhone using the Kindle app just to see how the app worked. But then I started reading it! I've always liked Sherrod Brown, and as a former journalist, I wondered what it must be like for his wife to go from impartial reporter to political wife. Although I'm sure Schultz would bristle under the term "political wife" and all that it implies. This book was about her struggle to maintain her own identity when she is thrust into the world of a political campaign. I fou ...more
Carmen
I was reminded about Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown this spring while watching an episode of Glee. Glee villain Sue Sylvester announced she was running for a US House seat for Ohio, and my first thought was, “whew, I’m glad she’s not running for Senate. I love Sherrod Brown.”

My love for Sherrod stemmed from a 2007 memoir by his wife, and Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, Connie Schultz. She tells tales from the campaign trail including young staffers dictating her schedule and being introduced at
Ally
To be honest, this book took me about 2 weeks to get into- but once I got to the third chapter or so I was hooked! Connie Schultz is an extremely talented write (she did win a Pulitzer, after all), and her wryness and humor is refreshing. It's a bit glossy (it has to be- I mean I love Sherrod Brown, but he's written as far too good to be true) but it still provides a fascinating perspective on a Senate Campaign from the Spouse's point of view. It's especially interesting because she's a new spou ...more
Kathleen
Loved it. This is one I have been wanting to read for quite a while ... it was fast, easy and engrossing read. More than the campaign story, however, I loved reading about her parents and the home she grew up in.
Patty
I was just reminded last week that I liked reading Connie Schultz when her column about poetry was pointed out to me. So that reminder made me hunt up whatever the library had by Schultz.

This was good. Connie Schultz is an excellent writer and she has tried to be honest with her take on political campaigning. She definitely has a bias, but is very upfront about it. How can you not have a bias when you are writing about your husband.

I feel like I now know a bit more about Schultz; a tiny bit mor
Kirsten
A behind-the-scenes look at campaign life, as a political wife. It got a little repetitive after a while, but I liked it.
Beth
Schultz provides an interesting inside view of a campaign and a great perspective on feminist wives in politics.
Emily
Aug 29, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially women and disillusioned politics-junkies
Shultz was able to promote optimism, feminism and progressive politics all with an array of jokes and without sounding cheesy. She reminds the reader of all the work that goes into a campaign and the huge risk many people are willing to take to try and make a difference in our political system.

I have read Shultz's column in the Cleveland Plain Dealer since I was a child, but even those who are not familiar with Ohio politics (or even those who hate Ohio for the 2004 presidential election) will e
Meri
Okay, I was looking for more of an inside peek at the process one must go through to run for senator. This book was interesting at times, but Schultz spends far too much time talking about her struggle to keep her identity while her husband runs for senate (I get it, it's hard not to be sidelined as a politician's spouse). Despite her promise at a "no holds barred" look at the strain campaigning can have on a relationship, her marriage and husband appear perfect. I was a little disappointed, but ...more
Linda Mcritchie
Love Connie and Sherrod so much. Great book!!!
Michal
I recommended this book to four people within a day of starting it (I also finished it within a day of starting it). Easy to read, entertaining, educational - regardless of your political views (though I should probably verify that blanket statement). I really appreciated the "whole woman" perspective that seems to often be lost as women still struggle to figure out what "having it all" means.
marilyn
Enjoyed this tremendously. Not enough women my age are smart, funny, successful AND proud to be a feminist. Good to see an example of someone from the previous generation who is.

Plus it's got tons of that heartstrings-pull that political campaigns work on me. It made me think that if Obama gets the nomination, I want to spend next summer working for his campaign.
Carrie
This was a really interesting behind the scenes look at what the family of a candidate goes through during the campaign. It was particularly of interest to me, as a Clevelander, because I'm a long-time reader and avid fan of Connie's columns in our local newspaper and her husband, Sherrod Brown, a long-time Ohio politician, is our Senator.
Anne
This book was written by Connie Schultz, a columnist for the Plain Dealer, who is married to Sherrod Brown, a senator from Ohio. It's about his campaign and how that impacted her life and career. I would recommend this book to Democrats interested in the political process. I especially enjoyed it because of my Ohio background.
Ellie Revert
LOved this woman and her book! Heard about her during the coverage of Elizabeth Edwards, and just finished the book. Sweet and funny and touching--next up, her book Life Happens. She's a Pulitzer prize winning columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Married later in life to Sharrod Brown, Dem Senator from Ohio.
Karen
The book is basically a narrative history of the campaign with some commentary about how the campaign impacted their personal lives. If I had been involved in the campaign I might have found this book interesting but since I was not familiar with most of the names, places and events, the book never engaged me.
John
The book's primary focus is her husband's (successful) 2006 U. S. Senate race; however, there are essays on the death of her father, dealing with co-workers, etc. I'd suggest reading her previous book "Life Happens" first, which will give this one more context, rather than being just "about politics."
Emilie
As a non-Ohioan, I picked this up after Schultz did an article for the Chicago Trib literary magazine that was kind of great. The book runs a little long, but she has a warmth and honesty that shine through consistently, and some genuinely enlightening insights on the American political process.
Pat
Dec 23, 2007 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Boy, I wouldn't wish politics and the political life on anyone. A good insider's view that makes you wonder why we bother and what we want of our politicians. It'a hard to imagine why anyone would put themselves through this - have to have an awfully strong constitution.
Erica
I really enjoyed this behind the scenes look at a Senate campaign. Connie Schultz admits her reluctance about her husband running for Senator and is honest about her worries for their marriage and her career as a journalist. She is funny and comes off as honest. Great book!
Amy
This is a wryly funny and personal look at one spouse's experience in a background role during a hotly contested senate campaign. By the time the reader has finished the book, she will feel as if she personally knows Connie Schultz and Sherrod Brown....and like them!
Denise Prewett
This book was difficult for me to read and actually I didn't finish it. I enjoyed the stories of marriage life on the campaign trail as well as the family and even political tales. But it only keeped my attention for so long and then I picked up something else.
Angie
Connie is a terrific writer. This memoir gives the reader an inside view of the campaign trail - both good and bad and of all the sacrifices involved. Connie's style is so open...she's just regular! Any Connie fan will enjoy it, if she/he hasn't already.

Rachel
Fun book. Pulitzer-award winning reporter marries congressman who decides to run for senate. Interesting for the political junkie and curious alike, a description of what a campaign is truly like from the inside-out. Well-written, interesting.
Terry
Memoir from pulitzer price winner Connie Schultz whose husband runs for US Senate from Ohio. Easy read, humerous. Good info about how politcal campaigns are run for those who know nothing. P.S. Her husband sounds too good to be true.
Lauren
Nothing surprising in this book, really, which I was disappointed by. I think everyone knows that being part of a political campaign means a lot of intrusion into your private life. And I don't think this really went anywhere else.
Tamara
Jun 02, 2011 Tamara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tamara by: Mandy K.
Don't know a thing about this woman or her husband, but based on the synopsis, it would be interesting to read how a smart and independent woman balances her own life and priorities with her husband's political life and its demands.
Kristine
This gave good insight on what it's really like to be on the campaign trail of a major candidate. The author was columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, so I learned what it was like for her when her husband ran for Senate.
Slone
I love Schultz's voice, here describing husband Sherrod Brown's run for one of Ohio's U.S. Senate seats in 2006. She is funny, insightful and touching, humanizing the grind of the campaign trail. She gets my vote.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Eating Viet Nam: Dispatches from a Blue Plastic Table
  • The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty
  • Yarn: Remembering the Way Home
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • A Woman's Crusade: Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballot
  • My First White Friend: Confessions on Race, Love and Forgiveness
  • The Virgin of Bennington
  • Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns
  • All the Way Home: Building a Family in a Falling-Down House
  • Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
  • The Lost Carving: A Journey to the Heart of Making
  • Poor Man's Feast: A Love Story of Comfort, Desire, and the Art of Simple Cooking
  • Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World
  • Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters
  • We Are On Our Own
  • Soldier of Change: From the Closet to the Forefront of the Gay Rights Movement
  • Hey! Listen to This: Stories to Read Aloud
  • Be the Miracle: 50 Lessons for Making the Impossible Possible
Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths Life Happens . . . And His Lovely Wife: A Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man And His Lovely Wife And His Lovely Wife: A Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man