Start by marking “. . . And His Lovely Wife: A Campaign Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man” as Want to Read:
. . . And His Lovely Wife: A Campaign Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man

. . . And His Lovely Wife: A Campaign Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man

Writing with warmth and humor, Connie Schultz reveals the rigors, joys, and absolute madness of a new marriage at midlife and campaigning with her husband, Sherrod Brown, now the junior senator from Ohio. She describes the chain of events leading up to Sherrod’s decision to run for the Senate (he would not enter the fray without his wife’s unequivocal support), and her own ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about . . . And His Lovely Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about . . . And His Lovely Wife

Lesa
Connie Schultz' memoir, a book that came out in 2007, wrapped up 2015 perfectly for me. ...and His Lovely Wife is the story of the journalist's year on the campaign trail, the year she gave up her career to support and campaign for her new husband, Sherrod Brown, while he ran for Senator from Ohio.

Schultz is an outspoken supporter of the working class, so her late-in-life marriage to the congressman from Ohio, Sherrod Brown, united two campaigners. But, only a short time into their marriage, the
Melissa
May 04, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this book onto my iPhone using the Kindle app just to see how the app worked. But then I started reading it! I've always liked Sherrod Brown, and as a former journalist, I wondered what it must be like for his wife to go from impartial reporter to political wife. Although I'm sure Schultz would bristle under the term "political wife" and all that it implies. This book was about her struggle to maintain her own identity when she is thrust into the world of a political campaign. I fou ...more
Carmen
Nov 19, 2010 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memior, politics
I was reminded about Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown this spring while watching an episode of Glee. Glee villain Sue Sylvester announced she was running for a US House seat for Ohio, and my first thought was, “whew, I’m glad she’s not running for Senate. I love Sherrod Brown.”

My love for Sherrod stemmed from a 2007 memoir by his wife, and Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, Connie Schultz. She tells tales from the campaign trail including young staffers dictating her schedule and being introduced at
Michelle
Feb 04, 2017 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Connie Schultz's work and of how she engages with her readers/fans on social media, particularly on her Facebook page. I am also a former constituent of her husband, Sherrod Brown, and really appreciated his work as a progressive senator in Ohio. This book is fantastic. Schultz recounts his 2006 campaign for senator, but she is witty and charming throughout. She doesn't sugar coat the issues they encountered and that includes her own problems: leaving the Plain Dealer, learning ...more
Amy R
Jan 06, 2017 Amy R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Connie on Facebook, and I was expecting to love this book. But it felt more like the story of a campaign than the story of people who happened to be living a campaign -- heavy on small details and light on real, human stories. She shines in the chapter when she writes about her parents, but the rest of the book fell a little flat for me. Could have used a better narrative structure to make it come together as a story.
Becky Loader
Jan 08, 2017 Becky Loader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I remember why I never wanted to run for office, to get involved in politics, and to be married to anyone who held public office.

Schultz is a Pulitzer-Prize-winning journalist who married an ambitious politician in middle age. Her story of being "his lovely wife" is highly descriptive of the far-reaching effects of politics and campaigning. How is it that no matter how far women have come, we can still be relegated to the accessory category? What an eye opener!
Linda
Jan 02, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Easy read
Claudia Taller
I like Connie and Sherrod. But I lost interest in . . . and His Lovely Wife. However, it was interesting to read what it’s like to find the press going through your garbage and being introduced almost as an afterthought, as Sherrod’s wife. That had to have been difficult for Connie, a Pulitzer prize-winning journalist who asks important questions and had a following. I give her credit for taking a sabbatical to campaign for Sherrod—she probably got him 40% of the votes (and I like Sherrod, a lot ...more
Ally
Sep 04, 2009 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, this book took me about 2 weeks to get into- but once I got to the third chapter or so I was hooked! Connie Schultz is an extremely talented write (she did win a Pulitzer, after all), and her wryness and humor is refreshing. It's a bit glossy (it has to be- I mean I love Sherrod Brown, but he's written as far too good to be true) but it still provides a fascinating perspective on a Senate Campaign from the Spouse's point of view. It's especially interesting because she's a new spou ...more
Patty
I was just reminded last week that I liked reading Connie Schultz when her column about poetry was pointed out to me. So that reminder made me hunt up whatever the library had by Schultz.

This was good. Connie Schultz is an excellent writer and she has tried to be honest with her take on political campaigning. She definitely has a bias, but is very upfront about it. How can you not have a bias when you are writing about your husband.

I feel like I now know a bit more about Schultz; a tiny bit mor
Meri
Sep 14, 2009 Meri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Okay, I was looking for more of an inside peek at the process one must go through to run for senator. This book was interesting at times, but Schultz spends far too much time talking about her struggle to keep her identity while her husband runs for senate (I get it, it's hard not to be sidelined as a politician's spouse). Despite her promise at a "no holds barred" look at the strain campaigning can have on a relationship, her marriage and husband appear perfect. I was a little disappointed, but ...more
Emily
Aug 27, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially women and disillusioned politics-junkies
Shultz was able to promote optimism, feminism and progressive politics all with an array of jokes and without sounding cheesy. She reminds the reader of all the work that goes into a campaign and the huge risk many people are willing to take to try and make a difference in our political system.

I have read Shultz's column in the Cleveland Plain Dealer since I was a child, but even those who are not familiar with Ohio politics (or even those who hate Ohio for the 2004 presidential election) will e
Steve Solnick
Mar 16, 2014 Steve Solnick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant political memoir from the vantage point of the adoring wife standing behind and to the left. Except this adoring wife is also a prize-winning and opinionated journalist. In addition to being a great read, Schulz also captures the moment when 'Hope" became a winning theme for the democrats, and [spoiler alert] Sherrod Brown's success in success in Ohio foreshadowed the strategy Obama would use just two years later.
Jordan Pelavin
May 31, 2016 Jordan Pelavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry multiple times on an airplane.

It's so easy to get so cynical about politics and politicians. Connie clearly writes and works with love and with dedication-- both for her family ("the man" in question is Senator Sherrod Brown) and for the people of Ohio and the whole country. It was really nice, in the middle of this horrible election to read about politics (and people!) done right.
Karen
Aug 02, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is basically a narrative history of the campaign with some commentary about how the campaign impacted their personal lives. If I had been involved in the campaign I might have found this book interesting but since I was not familiar with most of the names, places and events, the book never engaged me.
marilyn
Sep 25, 2007 marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this tremendously. Not enough women my age are smart, funny, successful AND proud to be a feminist. Good to see an example of someone from the previous generation who is.

Plus it's got tons of that heartstrings-pull that political campaigns work on me. It made me think that if Obama gets the nomination, I want to spend next summer working for his campaign.
Ellie Revert
LOved this woman and her book! Heard about her during the coverage of Elizabeth Edwards, and just finished the book. Sweet and funny and touching--next up, her book Life Happens. She's a Pulitzer prize winning columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Married later in life to Sharrod Brown, Dem Senator from Ohio.
Anne
Sep 21, 2007 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Connie Schultz, a columnist for the Plain Dealer, who is married to Sherrod Brown, a senator from Ohio. It's about his campaign and how that impacted her life and career. I would recommend this book to Democrats interested in the political process. I especially enjoyed it because of my Ohio background.
Michal
Aug 29, 2013 Michal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommended this book to four people within a day of starting it (I also finished it within a day of starting it). Easy to read, entertaining, educational - regardless of your political views (though I should probably verify that blanket statement). I really appreciated the "whole woman" perspective that seems to often be lost as women still struggle to figure out what "having it all" means.
Beth
Jul 24, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What it is like to campaign

If you ever wondered what it is like for a family to campaign for public office, wonder no more. Schultz gives the reader a full perspective on life running for public office and the level of dedication needed for families to even consider pursuing it. Throughout her love and admiration for her husband ring through crystal clear.
John
Aug 19, 2007 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book's primary focus is her husband's (successful) 2006 U. S. Senate race; however, there are essays on the death of her father, dealing with co-workers, etc. I'd suggest reading her previous book "Life Happens" first, which will give this one more context, rather than being just "about politics."
Carrie
May 11, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting behind the scenes look at what the family of a candidate goes through during the campaign. It was particularly of interest to me, as a Clevelander, because I'm a long-time reader and avid fan of Connie's columns in our local newspaper and her husband, Sherrod Brown, a long-time Ohio politician, is our Senator.
Angie
Jan 12, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Connie is a terrific writer. This memoir gives the reader an inside view of the campaign trail - both good and bad and of all the sacrifices involved. Connie's style is so open...she's just regular! Any Connie fan will enjoy it, if she/he hasn't already.

Kathleen
May 25, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. This is one I have been wanting to read for quite a while ... it was fast, easy and engrossing read. More than the campaign story, however, I loved reading about her parents and the home she grew up in.
Mary Beth
Aug 28, 2012 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I "met" Connie Schultz when her first column was published in Parade Magazine. I admire her writing so much, and though it have come to admire her husband, who happens to be a US Senator. Highly recommend this read.
Pat
Dec 23, 2007 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Boy, I wouldn't wish politics and the political life on anyone. A good insider's view that makes you wonder why we bother and what we want of our politicians. It'a hard to imagine why anyone would put themselves through this - have to have an awfully strong constitution.
Tara Jefferson
Nov 03, 2013 Tara Jefferson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever, witty, insightful look at life on the campaign trail. I have been reading Connie's columns for years, yet it felt like getting a new glimpse of her life. Very well-written and personal. Loved it!
Rachel
Jan 05, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Fun book. Pulitzer-award winning reporter marries congressman who decides to run for senate. Interesting for the political junkie and curious alike, a description of what a campaign is truly like from the inside-out. Well-written, interesting.
Kristine
Aug 05, 2007 Kristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gave good insight on what it's really like to be on the campaign trail of a major candidate. The author was columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, so I learned what it was like for her when her husband ran for Senate.
Joni
Dec 06, 2015 Joni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connie Schultz has always amused me with her columns, but this was a very one sided political book. It highlighted the divisive state of politics today. Other than that, it was a very loving tribute to her husband, with a few hilarious stories, politics aside.
  • The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty
  • Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns
  • Eating Viet Nam: Dispatches from a Blue Plastic Table
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • My Name is Love
  • All the Way Home: Building a Family in a Falling-Down House
  • Hey! Listen to This: Stories to Read Aloud
  • My First White Friend: Confessions on Race, Love and Forgiveness
  • A Woman's Crusade: Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballot
  • Soldier of Change: From the Closet to the Forefront of the Gay Rights Movement
  • Super
  • Righteous: Dispatches from the Evangelical Youth Movement
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters
  • Let the People in: The Life and Times of Ann Richards