Start by marking “One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo” as Want to Read:
One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo

One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,394 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Lately second-grader Freddy Dissel has that left-out kind of feeling.Life can be lonely when you're the middle kid in the family and you feel like "the peanut butter part of a sandwich," squeezed between an older brother and a little sister.But now for the first time it's Freddy's chance to show everyone how special he is and, most of a all, prove it to himself! ...more
Published June 1st 1992 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo

Dolly
Jan 22, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I have always enjoyed Judy Blume's books. I loved them when I was a child and I'm excited to share them with our girls. I usually associate her work with middle-grade and YA fiction, but she also has a few fun picture books, too.

This is a fun story about the frustration of being the middle child as well as one boy's efforts to find a place in the spotlight. The narrative is short and engaging and the illustrations are colorful and complement the story nicely. I don't remember this story from my
Julie Decker
Freddy is a middle child. He has a lot of trouble getting attention because his brother and sister are always getting it all, and he decides to prove his individuality by getting a part in a play.

I think middle children will especially appreciate this, of course, but most children can relate to having to fight for attention and search for what makes them special. And as usual, Judy Blume works her magic on the kid logic, making this a book children will relate to.
george
Freddy Dissel is having a hard time. His older brother, Mike, gets all new clothes and Freddy only gets Mike's old ones. Mike won't let him play with him. Freddy's younger sister, Ellen, is just a baby. She got Freddy's old room, and Freddy was forced to move into Mike's. Plus, Ellen is just a baby, and can't play the games that Freddy wants to play. Freddy feels like no one notices him. But then he sees that a play is going to be performed at school. If he was in the play, then someone might no ...more
Stephanie
This was a sweet little story about a middle sibling finding something he liked and enjoyed as a means of standing out among his siblings. Through his interest in a school play, he begins to explore who he is outside the context of his family/home life, and it is all explained in a very simple, easily digestible story for young readers.
Amber the Human
Cute. Blume does a good job, as she always does, of capturing a child's angst. It's nice to see this kid get some recognition and get put in a school play (and not just any school play, it's a school play cast with older kids).
Swankivy
Very cute book where a middle child finds his specialness and identity, driving home the point that everyone is unique and needs to find their own path. I didn't relate to it much personally because I was an eldest child, not a middle child, but I thought about my sister sometimes while reading it and wondered whether being a middle child was ever like this for her. (Though I knew she didn't really have the hand-me-downs problem because we were about the same size for our entire lives.) I think ...more
Marcia
A perfect beginning chapter book, especially for the much maligned middle child. Stands up to the test of time and feels classic with "vintage" illustrations.
Jana
This was the book Ella chose this week from the school library. I was so excited because I also read this as a child. Just love Judy Blumenthal.
Katie Curry
Freddy Dissel, a second grader, always felt like he was left out. He wasn't big enough to play with his big brother and was too big to play with his little sister. Freddy hears about a school play and wants to join. When he finds out the play is only for fifth and sixth graders, his disappointment grows; however, Freddy is allowed to audition for the most important part of all. This cute book is great for students who are beginning to transition into reading chapter books, but still into books w ...more
Amy
Realistic Fiction, published in 1992 for grades prek-5. Themes include family issues, sibling issues and humor. Freddy is the middle child and tends to be overlooked quite a bit since his older brother and younger sister require more attention. This all changes when Freddy is offered the role of the green kangaroo in the school play. His family is very proud of him!! Guidance counselors could use this book with middle kids and teachers could use this as an introduction to emotions and play actin ...more
Teresa Gartland
This is a realistic fiction book that could be geared towards elementary students. This story is about Freddy and how he feels excluded in his family. Freddy is the middle child and feels like he does not get enough attention from his family because of this and feels he has to do something courageous to get his families attention. Students can connect with this book, especially if they are a middle child. We can use this book to find ways that each student can shine in his or her family. Student ...more
The middle child in this family seems like the precursor of Blume's more famous character, The Pain. This youngster is tired of getting the short end of the stick every time: sharing a room, wearing hand-me-downs, and always being second (or third) to experience new things. What can he do that will be special and get him 100% of everyone's attention? A part in the school play is just the answer.

Blume is a master of family dynamics and those scenes involving sibling bickering and the craziness of
Cornelius
The book is about a young boy who is stuck in the middle of his older brother and younger baby sister. He can never get new clothes because he always receives his brother old clothes. He can never get a room of his own because he has to share it with his brother becuase of his younger sister. The young boy just wants to impress his parents. For first grade children, I would use this book in the classroom to let children know although you have a older and younger sibbling, your parents still love ...more
Deanna Colburn
Freddy Dissel is feeling left out of his family, being the middle child is hard for him. He wants to stand out and not be hidden in between his brothers any longer. But now for the first time Freddy gets the chance to show everyone how special he is, he proves to himself that he is special too. This book would help teach the lesson of having confidence and self-esteem to the students. It is a very engaging read and really connects the reader to Freddy by feeling his emotions with him. Overall it ...more
Maura
Sadly I rarely relate to Judy Blume's books - I'm not a middle child, I wasn't anxious to get my period and I didn't know anyone with Scoliosis (Deenie). Nevertheless, these were books that were standard from my childhood. I remember reading them and knowing exactly where Judy Blume's books were located in my elementary library. This story was no exception - I read it several times in 2nd grade if I'm not mistaken. Right up there with Freckle Juice. Not my favorite of them all, but still a good ...more
Joolissa
A second grade, middle child boy who feels neglected and overlooks finds his way into a school play and gets to play a special part. This is a quick tale about how everyone needs to feel special. It's simple, but I think it would resonate with young children who feel overshadowed. It may also open the door to the conversation about how they feel and what can be done to help. Perhaps it will motivate them to find a special activity to do as well.
Olivia
Freddy Dissel is tired of being nothing more than the middle child. Then the school play gives him the chance to be recognized for himself.

Reading Practice, Vocabulary Practice

Book Level: 2.5

Interest Level: Lower Grades (LG K-3)

Fiction/Nonfiction: Fiction

Topic - Subtopic: Arts-Theater/Plays; Family Life-Growing Up; Family Life-Sibling Rivalry
Andd Becker
Delightful is the plot highlighting a second grade boy's development of self-esteem.
But how bizarre that artist Amy Aitken drew fifth and sixth graders short and slight.
In a classroom setting, I would ask students to illustrate this book, showing a realistic growth differential between seven-year-olds and ten/eleven-year-olds.
Izzy
I had to read this book for summer reading back in 2nd grade. It was not really that great. If I were u I wouldn't wast my time on this book. I would advise you to pick up:

The Harry potter books
The view from the cherry tree
The Emily windsnap books
The children of the lamp series
Molly moon books
The lightning theif books
Kirei
This book is about a middle child who gets self-confidence from being a kangaroo in a school play. For a chapter book, it is VERY short. I read it to my seven-year-old in probably under ten minutes. To be honest, I think it feels like one chapter of a longer book.
But anyway, the basic story was still pretty good.
Misty
This book is about finding your place. Freddy is a middle child and feels like he is always left out. Soon he gets a part in a play and this is what helped him feel good about himself. He didn't care that he was in the middle, he was just happy to be Freddy. This is a message I would want to portray to any student.
Josiah
This book encapsulates well in its few pages what it means to be a middle child, or to feel overlooked and ignored in any context, something that all of us has surely felt at times. "The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo" is a good book, and bears a remarkable amount of heart for its size.
Kris
3 STARS

"Second grader Freddy Dissel has that left-out feeling until he gets the chance to show everyone--including himself--how special he is." (From Amazon)

Recommended to every kid before they attend school.
Very cute book about a boy who struggles because he is the middle child. Very easy read. My third graders read it in two guided reading sessions and loved it. I thought it was a great introduction to books written by Judy Blume.
Marisela
Oh childhood! I read this in the 3rd grade an immediately felt like it was my life story. I know! Ha! Even though I'm second eldest, I've often joked I have middle-child syndrome.

But it's a great fun book for children.
Cara Farmer
Cute introduction to the awesome world of Judy Blume. It has just four short chapters so it's great for kids who are just learning to read chapter books. It's also fun and relatable for someone who is a middle child.
Amanda
I don't remember what this book was about. Is about? Stupid grammar. Anyway, I think we had this book lying around when I was a kid. It always reminded me of my brother. I think because he was the middle child...
Brittany
this is such a great book. i just love judy blume and was so exicited when i readd it lol. I learned that is your the middle child don't always have a bad felling inside and go for what you belive in
Tammy  King Carlton
Rebekah and I started this as a bedtime read, and ended up reading it until we were done (bedtime was a little late that night) but it's a great little chapter book, very fun and Rebekah giggled a lot.
Kristin Traina
A great book about family, being the middle child and finding your individuality. This is a great self esteem lesson and shows that you always something special even if you don't feel like it.
  • The Candy Corn Contest
  • Dodsworth in Paris
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Socks
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Zero
  • Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
  • Roommates (The Girls of Canby Hall, #1)
  • Top Secret
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • I Love You Because You're You
  • The Best Way to Play: A Little Bill Book for Beginning Readers, Level 3
  • Penny and Her Doll
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1) Summer Sisters Superfudge (Fudge, #3) Forever