Start by marking “The Book of the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Dragon

The Book of the Dragon

The mystique of dragons--soaring above castle spires, setting the world aflame--bursts into glowing life in breathtaking images by a major artist. An unforgettably original volume, The Book of the Dragon offers a glimpse of a culture we can only imagine.

They lurk in the most hidden corners of the world: the powerful and beautiful creatures known as dragons. We know them a
Published 1992 by Paper Tiger (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Dragon

Algernon
Dec 25, 2014 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2014
It's not a comic book, it's more of a coffee-table art album showcasing the talent of graphic artist Ciruelo Cabral.

It's got dragons in it, many of the images are wall poster quality (or desktop backgound candidates). As a bonus, there's a good selection of text: legends, histories, classifications of dragons, habits, favorite foods, etc. It almost feels life a detailed wikipedia entry on the subject of flying lizards.

What I liked best about the book is how well the translation to ebook was man
Nanu
Dec 25, 2014 Nanu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ilustrados, argentina
El libro está dividido en dos partes: la primera es una especie de enciclopedia de dragones y la segunda tiene varias leyendas sobre los individuos en cuestión. La edición es hermosa y, obviamente, está llena de ilustraciones de Ciruelo.
¡Amo este libro! <3
Popo
Dec 15, 2014 Popo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The artwork in this book is gorgeous. I love that the book is so large, because you can really enjoy the illustrations and it feels magical reading it! My favorite sections of the book were "Part Three: Cultures and Customs" and "Part Four: Legends." The first half of the book explains "General Information" and "Types of Dragons," which seemed a little redundant after a while.

I had just finished "The Book of Dragons" by Michael Hague prior to reading this, so it was fun comparing the legends. Th
Nichole Davis
Oct 23, 2010 Nichole Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children who love dragons or parents who want to introduce their children to dragons.
Beautiful artwork and an excellent work of fiction, done to appear to be a factual study of dragons as if they were a factual animal still in existence.

The introduction explains that the book was written after a careful study of ancient manuscripts but then goes on to say "WE do not, however, claim that this book is an encyclopedia of dragons or an exhaustive study on dragon science, for such work would fill volumes. We are simply allowing the reader to enter into the secret world of dragons, m
Jess Geoghegan
It was a good book to read and learn about Dragons. I love the author's art work. I have his calendars through out the years.
How ever some of the stores where so depression and rushed. Others where pretty good. My favorite one was, Jilocasin. Near the end it was a little sad, but the ending was touching.
Silvia
Feb 13, 2017 Silvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite bestiaries, it's a great inspiration for people who like to draw dragons.
Tom
Jun 29, 2009 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is, in places, really breath-taking. I'm tinkering with my own short story on the subject, and some of these images were very inspiring.
As for the text, there are some disappointments:
The descriptions of the species of dragons is charming, but could have been much more detailed.
I think it could have done without the screechy preachy "message" about endangered species and the ecological balance. It really spoils an otherwise charming book.
My hat is off to the author for researching a
Michael Hall
Lots of pretty pictures about dragons. This book is all about dragons. Their life cycle, habitat, anatomy, and environmental impact, etc. A charming book. My only complaint is that overall the atmosphere was pretty generic and could have done with a bit less preachiness about endangered species and such... that said, I wonder what a dragon tastes like?
Daphne Racoon
Jan 28, 2013 Daphne Racoon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptionally detailed artwork! Ciruelo's works (created entirely using traditional means) never fail to amaze me. [note: Illustrations made in 1991!]
The information on dragons is also remarkably presented-truly provides the reader with an insight into the vast world of these maginificent creatures.
T.L. Wood
Mar 06, 2010 T.L. Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has informative and humorous stories about dragons. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, while doing research for my books that I write. It was an easy read, very enchanting; with brilliant, fantasy art illustrations. Any fantasy art or dragon lover would thoroughly enjoy this book.
Clayton Bott
A decent overview on the variety of dragons in the world with wonderful artwork mixed in. The list of dragon varieties could have been much more inclusive though. European dragons seem to be the primary focus here.
Cecilia
Jan 07, 2009 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cecilia by: fantasy art lovers
This is a GREAT book. Ciruelo's art is wonderful (I still remember when I saw his paints in "Le Palais de Glace" in Buenos Aires), and in this book, we have a complete guide into the Dragon's life and nature. And of course, there are wonderful pictures to enjoy it even more.
Fantasy  Gifts
May 29, 2010 Fantasy Gifts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each of these wondrous creatures has its own unique personality and history, and it's captured dramatically on these spectacular pages. But the revelations go beyond the images.
Ladyonuk
Apr 22, 2009 Ladyonuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dragon lovers
Shelves: fantasy, dragons, art
The book that made me love dragons. Ciruelo's art is greatly enriched by the text descriptions. Good read for any dragon lover!
Seawater
Dec 05, 2011 Seawater rated it it was amazing
A really nice book, with lots of information, stories and beautiful artwork. I read through it quite a lot when I was younger.
Laura Pifer
Feb 08, 2016 Laura Pifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving the feel and look of this book.
Josie
Feb 20, 2014 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I loved the Legends in the last chapter.
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Nova
Nova rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2008
Celia
Celia rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Tina Silveira
Tina Silveira rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Jenni
Jenni rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Cait Davidson
Cait Davidson rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2010
Berna Labourdette
Berna Labourdette rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Harriett Morton
Harriett Morton rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Gabriele
Gabriele rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
~Megan~
~Megan~ rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Dragons, dragons ...: The Book of the Dragon, by Ciruelo Cabral 1 4 Oct 16, 2012 11:57AM
  • Dragon Chronicles
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Dragonart: How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • The Rift (Rootless, #2)
  • Trolls
  • Legends of Valor (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Favole: Frozen Light
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons
  • The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters
  • Castles (An Original Bantam Gift Book)
  • Dancing with Dragons
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • The Losers / High Hunt
  • The Choice Wine: 7 Steps to a Superabundant Marriage
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)

“Adult dragons are,astute,powerful,and sure of their strength. ” 6 likes