Start by marking “Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care” as Want to Read:
Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care
Preview

Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,374 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Generations of parents have relied on Dr. Spock's timeless bestseller. It remains the source book, the most authoritative and reliable guide available. Collaborating with Dr. Steven J. Parker, Dr. Spock has now updated and expanded this reference to meet the changes and challenges of the next century. Organized for fast and easy reference, and including entirely new sectio ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published July 14th 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Annette
Another book I am reading for the book I am writing. One of my favorite outtakes thus far from this book updated in 1962:
"[A father:] might make the formula on Sunday. If the baby is on a 2 A.M. bottle in the early weeks, when the mother is still pretty tired, this is a good feeding for the father to take over. It's nice for him, if he can, to go along to the doctor's office for the baby's regular visits. It gives him a chance to bring up those questions that are bothering him and that he doesn'
Susan Baranoff
Mar 25, 2009 Susan Baranoff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: parents-to-be and parents of kids under the age of 12
Probably the most important book in my library for the first 10 years of my kids' lives. It was the book to turn to when they had spots or fevers or just would not go to sleep.... Dr. Spock always gave common sense advice. The reference guide to symptoms in the back was invaluable more than once in answering the huge question every new parent has -- it is 2:00 in the morning - "should I call the doctor for this, or can it wait until morning?"
Madhulika Liddle
Benjamin Spock Robert Needlman – Baby and Childcare

When my baby daughter arrived, advice, much of it unasked for, poured in from friends and relatives. Buy a pillow for her. Put honey on her pacifier to help her through teething. Give her orange juice. Put her to bed with a bottle full of milk so she doesn’t need to get up in the middle of the night to be fed.

All of which, thanks to Dr Spock’s Baby & Childcare (9th Edition, with Dr Robert Needlman), I managed to discover – well in time – to
Mike Smith
This is a wonderful book for ALL parents to read. Actually, it's a wonderful book for ANYONE to read, even children. It discusses human development in a way that is useful for those who are guiding a child's development and those interested in their own development - which should be everyone. Most importantly the book is written to educate and encourage, rather than to preach and frighten. It helps the parent approach every situation with the basic knowledge needed. It also gives great resources ...more
Ellee
This is a book that I read the sections I need when I want to know, rather than reading cover to cover. Unlike some guides, it's arranged topically rather than by age, so skipping around is really a necessity. It gives some great advice and gives a lot of the "whys" of childcare - why shouldn't you save the extra food from the baby jar? Body fluids are sterile to the body they came out of... so what if saliva gets into the rest of the food? Turns out that (here's a reminder from 4th grade scienc ...more
Alyce Rocco
My mother gave all her daughters, daughter-in-laws, many nieces, then started with granddaughters as they made her a great-grandma, a copy of Dr. Spock's Baby and Childcare. My copy was a much earlier edition than this one.

I referred back to the book many times as my babies matured into toddlers, and so on. I say it was okay, because I never read it cover to cover ~ it got boring.

Many of my peers felt intimidated by the book's advice, fearing they would do something wrong. I do not recall exact
Andrea
Sometimes there's reviewing a single book on its own (like with a novel), but other times you have to review a book in the context of other books out there (like with a parenting advice book). Dr Spock's classic baby and child care book is definitely a case of the latter category. Reading it now, after having read many more detailed books, I can't help but wish that this was the only book on the subject I ever read. I like to imagine myself as a low-stress mother who only felt the need to consul ...more
Except we're reading the 1954 edition. The "in place of a crib, you can place your baby in a bureau drawer or a clothes basket" edition. His take on post-partum depression is pretty good, too. Honestly, it is. Gotta love it. Mostly reading it for fun and because Mom gave it to me. Worked for her. I don't think any of us turned out that horribly. Can't find the chapter where he says it's ok to put netting on top of a play pen (poor Edie!), but I"m sure it's in there.
Brandon O'Neill
We've read though the chapters on pregnancy. Now I guess it is almost time for the infant section. Yikes!!
Kelly
Excellent Resource for quick infant/child health info.
Annelisa
This book has entered our cultural legacy as one of the most important ones published within the last century. I've been able to appreciate it for that fact, but it hasn't stopped my overall disillusionment with the book and its premise. Part of it may stem from the fact that the book is constantly being updated. (I much prefer the older, original versions, even if solely for its value as an historical document rather than a must-have for parenting advice). Naturally I understand why, as the wo ...more
Marvin
Oct 11, 2013 Marvin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I never read this book and don't plan to because I don't like books about baby and child care. But I want to warn you people that Dr. Benjamin Spock was a really nice guy. I met him in 1970 during a anti-war rally. He was very approachable and loved to chat. I found out that his proudest moment was not when he wrote his book and it became a huge bestseller but when he won a gold medal in the Olympics in 1924. (that is a fact!) He swore a little when he talked about President Johnson (He called h ...more
Varsha Shastri
It was good read. Works well as a reference book. However since internet has info about most of the baby care related stuff, this book was not too helpful for me. I liked the babycenter website much better.
mamamia
A good general reference book for parenting birth to adolescence. Good brief tips on how to prepare for adolescence as well as nutrition.
Leah
terrifying. could not finish.

This passage: "Even when feelings during pregnancy are primarily positive, there may be a letdown when the baby actually arrives. Parents may expect to recognize the baby immediately as their own flesh and blood, to respond with an overwhelming rush of maternal and paternal feelings, and to bond like epoxy. But in many cases, this doesn't happen on the first day or even in the first week. Completely normal negative feelings often pop up. A good and loving parent may
Catherine
we love this book as a quick reference. its very factual and middlenof the road which is nice.
Froof
Not sure I agree with all the psychology, but thought provoking at least.
Sophoula
my mother read this when my brother was born, and i assume she read it when i was born, too. as far as i can tell, i grew up in tip-top shape, so i think i have dr. spock to thank for that, (THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ME ALIVE), since mothers, understandably, cannot even begin to comprehend the 24,243,259,964,395 needs of babies. truthfully, i still have that well-worn copy my mother toted around when my brother was little, and sometimes i like to look at it and reconcile its message with the feminis ...more
Christopher Calo
This book holds a lot of good info for the new parents
Intended as a resource for parents who have children of all ages, I would only this book as a supplement to a more detailed book. Spock's aim is for breadth, not depth. Although what it written seems sound ( I highlighted and dog-eared relevant pages), I stopped about 20% in, since I only have a two year old and am expecting our second child. This book contains up to date information and resources, but by the time I will need to use the adolescent section, this book will be outdated. Still, I ma ...more
Meghan
Helpful resource, especially with babies.
Samar Dey
It is a bible, a must read for every parent.
Max Ostrovsky
So with a daughter on the way, I've found myself reading rearing books. I'm getting great information, but only made it as far as the twos.

Where are the dragons? Ninja assassins? Robots and their laws?

There wasn't even one chapter on where in the nursery is best for katana placement. Seriously. I have no idea where to put my swords. Spock was no help for that.

It's funny saying (or rather thinking) that. Usually, most Vulcans are good in a pinch.

I think that joke is too old, but that's the mo
Chongchong Tre
i like book
Gingeraltoids
I'm currently reading the 40th edition of this classic book. Of course, some of the information is dated, such as how to prepare bottles, but so far Dr. Spock's general philosophy on child rearing seems reasonable. Interestingly, my parents used this book when I was a baby; hopefully that's not where they got some of their funny ideas! I guess I'll find out as I read more.

I quit reading this as it was so dated. I found the Sears books to be more up-to-date and relevant to my parenting approach.
TailFeather
My mother in law gave this to us when I was pregnant. She meant well, but I could only slog through a couple of chapters before I gave up in disgust. This was the 80's, not the 50's.

I can't remember exactly what I read, but it took him a long time to get to the point. Which, after awhile seemed like he was grasping at supposition a lot of the time. I do remember thinking, "Oh give me a break!" more than once. I'm glad we were smart enough not to take this book seriously.
Lisa James
This book is full of advice to new parents & parents of young children from an expert in the field. I read it too, many years ago, but later discovered that babies don't come with instruction manuals, & that following a book to raise my children was just dumb.

Little asked question: How did Spock become such an expert on children when he was never a father? Hmmm...To me that contradicts ANY believability & credibility he is supposed to have.
Asho
My favorite thing about this book is its matter-of-fact tone. It isn't alarmist as so many baby and child care manuals are. It doesn't lay out a step-by-step plan or push a particular philosophy, so this isn't the book to read if you're looking for, say, a detailed guide on feeding solids or sleep training. However, it's a very good overview of all things child rearing, and it has a large reference section for further info on a variety of topics.
Jenny
Sound, practical advice, particularly on medical issues. (It's a bit light on developmental/emotional issues.) It should be noted that Dr. Spock did not actually author this edition of the book, though he is quoted liberally throughout it.

This book does contain what were when I read them my favorite twenty words in the English language: "An occasional glass or two of wine or beer for a breastfeeding mother will do no harm to her baby."
Kim
I love Dr. Spock so much. This is where I learned how to take care of my daughter.

This book made me think seriously about why I wanted to be a mother, what I wanted having a child to mean. I hadn't really thought beyond having a darling little baby to love and care for. I realized that what I wanted more than anything else was to teach her my beliefs so that she would be a strong Christian and have a good, happy, productive life.
MY MOM'S MEDICAL BIBLE!! 1 8 Oct 06, 2007 10:45PM
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • A Child is Born
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • A Child of the Century
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • I Love You Rituals
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
Benjamin McLane Spock was an American pediatrician whose book Baby and Child Care, published in 1946, is one of the biggest best-sellers of all time. Its revolutionary message to mothers was that "you know more than you think you do." Spock was the first pediatrician to study psychoanalysis to try to understand children's needs and family dynamics.
More about Benjamin Spock...
The First Two Years: The Emotional and Physical Needs of Children from Birth to Age 2 Dr. Spock on Parenting The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care تربية الأبناء فى الزمن الصعب Spock on Spock

“The children who are appreciated for what they are, even if they are homely, or clumsy, or slow, will grow up with confidences in themselves - happy. They will have a spirit that will make the best of all the capacities that they have, and of all the opportunities that come their way. They will make light of any handicaps.” 24 likes
“Make out a schedule for yourself, on paper if necessary, that requires you to be busy with housework or anything else while your baby is awake. Go at it with a great bustle—to impress your baby and to impress yourself. Say you are the mother of a baby boy who has become accustomed to being carried all the time. When he frets and raises his arms, explain to him in a friendly but very firm tone that this job and that job must get done this afternoon. Though he doesn’t understand the words, he does understand the tone of voice. Stick to your busywork. The first hour of the first day is the hardest. One baby accepts the change better if his mother stays out of sight a good part of the time at first and talks little. This helps him to become absorbed in something else. Another adjusts more quickly if he can at least see his mother and hear her talking to him, even if she won’t pick him up. When you bring him a plaything or show him how to use it, or when you decide it’s time to play with him, sit down beside him on the floor. Let him climb into your arms if he wants, but don’t get back into the habit of walking him around. If you’re on the floor with him, he can crawl away when he eventually realizes you won’t walk. If you pick him up and walk him, he’ll surely object noisily just as soon as you start to put him down again. If he keeps on fretting indefinitely when you sit with him on the floor, remember another job and get busy again. What you are trying to do is to help your baby begin to build frustration tolerance—a little at a time. If she does not begin to learn this gradually between six and twelve months, it is a much harder lesson to learn later on.” 0 likes