Start by marking “Flavours of India” as Want to Read:
Flavours of India

Flavours of India

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Packed with 130 delicious recipes, this book takes cooks on a gastronomic tour of India, from Kerala to the Punjab, with stops in Gujarat, Goa, West Bengal, and Tamil Nadu. 55 color photos.
Published February 16th 1995 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Flavours of India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flavours of India

Cara
Although the recipes tend to be complicated, they are worth the effort. The subtle spicing makes for some very special food. I tend to use this book when cooking for special occasions or when I want to impress!
Laini
As a child of the '70s with a mother who made everything from a mix, we didn't experiment much. You know...white bread, Campbell's soup, Jell-O.

The thought of Indian food didn't even enter my consciousness until maybe my early 20s, when I began to explore my latent foodie tendencies. But I would NEVER have gone to a restaurant alone and tried ordering anything.

It was 1993 when I lucked out. Two British guys were staying with a friend of mine, and wanted to go out for Indian food somewhere. Alt
Renu
This is my "go to book" for recipes when I am hosting dinners for friend or want to make something special. Some dishes are complex but the end result is worth all the work.

Some of my favorite recipes: Lamb in Fennel Flavored Coconut Sauce, Ma Di Dal, Amritsari Dal, Boatman's Curry.
Libbeth
Beautifully illustrated and each chapter has a few pages about the area from which the recipes originate. A good read even when you are not cooking from it.
Lisa
Lots of interesting recipes from different regions of Indian, cooking levels from easy to difficult.
Leigh Ann
Very tasty. A wonderful variety of Indian cuisine. For omnivores.
Nattha
Nattha marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Jameel Sardaar
Jameel Sardaar marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
David Mchenry
David Mchenry marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Kim
Kim added it
Oct 10, 2013
Susan
Susan added it
Aug 05, 2013
Vittoria
Vittoria marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Madhur Jaffrey is the person who brought curries into the mainstream with her 1973 debut book An Invitation to Indian Cookery.
More about Madhur Jaffrey...
Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking