Superclass: The Global Power Elite and the World They Are Making

Superclass: The Global Power Elite and the World They Are Making

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Each of them is one in a million.They number six thousand on planet of six billion. They run our government, our largest corporations, the powerhouses of international finance, the media, world religions, and, from the shadows, the world's most dangerous criminal and terrorist organizations. They are the global superclass, and they are shaping the history of our time.
Published March 18th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2008)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Pearl Ruled

Rating: 3.25* of five (p189)

The Publisher Says: Each of them is one in a million. They number six thousand on a planet of six billion. They run our governments, our largest corporations, the powerhouses of international finance, the media, world religions, and, from the shadows, the world's most dangerous criminal and terrorist organizations. They are the global superclass, and they are shaping the history of our time.

Today's superclass has achieved unprecedented levels of wealth and...more
getAbstract
In-depth exploration of the global elite

Conspiracy theories thrive on mystery, and no group is more mysterious than the planet’s richest, most powerful people. Former U.S. Undersecretary of State David Rothkopf attempts to shed light on these shadowy figures using his experience with – and his detailed research into – their feeding habits and environments. Rothkopf deftly intersperses firsthand knowledge with hard data in describing the clout, backgrounds and goals of the people he identifies t...more
David Roycroft
There's nothing new about the way elites network. What is new is who these elites are and the growing impact of the decisions they make. The author demonstrates that with gloabilzation financial and corporate elites have become more powerful and more important than national or government elites. He argues that international organizations like the United Nations and the World Bank, most of which were organized after World War II and are unevenly weighted in favor of the allied nations that won th...more
Ryan Chapman
Chockablock with great statistics and wit. Rothkopf strenuously avoids any notion of conspiracy talk, and debunks them wherever they arrive. Since I'm pretty finance-illiterate and have the tiny business acumen to match, this was truly illuminating. Sure, he doesn't develop his point much beyond what he says in the first couple chapters. That's okay. The rest of the book is more or less a lot of great historical and anecdotal data. (Including things like the average income for a Goldman Sachs em...more
Pooja
Some parts read like US Weekly Does Davos-- which is fun and fine by me, by the way.
Adam Snider
Michael D
'Super' books not only entertain and provide information, they provide a paradigm-changing experience. Although laborious (in places) as the Old Testament geneologies,'Superclass' did this for me. More than before i realize, that here in the U.S. (and maybe elsewhere,) free peoples need not only be wary of overly-big government but ALSO big business with its inordinate influence on legislative outcomes and politics through lobbyists, campaign contributions, and the 'swivel-door policy' occuring...more
Terry Earley
Although he almost lost me a couple of times in the early chapters where he describes the "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous", I am glad I persisted, because I have had this nagging question in my mind since the near fatal, world economic meltdown in 2009. That question was renewed in the summer and fall of 2011 when the Republican majority in the US House of Representatives caused the first US Treasury bond rating reduction ever by refusing to extend the US debt ceiling (as they did routinely f...more
Gail
"Each of them is one in a million. They number six thousand on a planet of six billion. They run our governments, our largest corporations, the powerhouses of international finance, the media, world religions, and, from the shadows, the world’s most dangerous criminal and terrorist organizations. They are the global superclass, and they are shaping the history of our time. Today’s superclass has achieved unprecedented levels of wealth and power. They have globalized more rapidly than any other g...more
KC
A solid primer on a often misunderstood group of power brokers. The author's perspective is that of someone who has spent considerable time on the periphery of the Superclass and has gained access to many of its members over the years. This is a sober and balanced overview that will disappoint readers looking for an anti-elite polemic or a slavish defense of privilege and power.

Reasons why I could have rated this book higher: Terrific access to the subjects, thoughtful attempts to place the cur...more
Pat
Jan 15, 2014 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends
Written by an elite about the superclass is a primer for the not-elite on the rich and powerful; how they arrive at this level and what they do when they get there. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the global powers in a world where the international corporations no longer are fettered by national boundaries.
Ronak Patel
Ronak Patel marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Dawn
I could barely read this book without vomiting all over it because the author is such a shameless fanboy of the so-called "superclass" that he and his wife nosh with at Darvos every year.

If you are really interested in reading about how 6000 or so way-too-rich psychopaths are gobbling up the planet's resources (like the amazing increase in demand for private Gulfstream jets!) all described in breathless admiration by fanboy, while the rest of us are doing things like biking to work, then waste y...more
Dave Guia
Should we be encouraged? Should we be surprised? Should we have expected anything else? Yes and No.
The Superclass does have its footprint all over everything that is our day-to-day life. Who will be in this small universe of elite power group in 20 years? If only more women could be in it now...and certainly, hopefully in two decades time. Maybe then the grab for greed will slip more into a grab for the greater good of all...
Thomas
Feb 17, 2010 Thomas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in how the world runs outside of governments.
A descriminating look at who is really running the world. Probably many whom you would expect, but the question really is how can any one person influence these people? Mister Rothkopf breaks down what their lives are like in general and what influences their thinking, but it is discouraging how many of them are much more interested in getting the next percentage from the masses than bringing about a better world. I give it an A-.
Anna
Who needs "conspiracy" theories? The truth is good enough. This guy is an apologist for the global elite. He acknowledges that the real power is in the hands of a very few people....but hey, don't worry, be happy. Globalism hasn't helped most of the world, but hey who cares. The global elite are cleaning up. If he keeps writing books like this I'm sure he won't have any trouble getting them published.
Wolfgang
If you are interested in Anthropology, this is a great book that describes how the tribes of the very wealthy intersect with each other in ways never done before. Making strange mixes such as Angelina Jolie or Bono developing relationship with Prime Minister Merkel of Germany.

What interest me about this class group is not their money much less their fame; but their mindset that anything is possible.
Vince Carter
In an age when national identities are losing the significance they once had in business, science and culture, the links of leaders in every area through education and social interaction create relationships that impact us all. How those links have formed is the focus of this interesting, up close glimpse.
Mark
It started out a little slow, but in the end this was a fascinating book! I was a sociology major and it really resonated with me. If I do end up voting for Obama this book would have been a major factor in that decision.
Michael
A look at the 6000 people who run the world-- though at times it is dry, there are some remarkable anecdotes and facts, and you will look at the news and the world with new skepticism.
BAKU
" The most powerful mind altering drug in existance is oil " ( this guy knows what he's talking about ) Hard to read ( literally, the print was too close together )
Judith
I learned the names of the rich and how life is in the superclass. And they gather together to try to help the world some for recognition and some for real.
Niran Pravithana
Rothkopf เขียนเกี่ยวกับเครือข่ายชนชั้นระดับโลก 6,000 คนที่มีอิทธิพลต่อคน 6,000,000,000 คนทั่วโลก
-อ่านยาก
-เนื้อหาน่าสนใจ
-หนาไปหน่อย
Mary
Mar 30, 2010 Mary added it
Arrggh....it simply reinforces the notion that the wealthy live in another world & have undue influence internationally.
Frances
Interesting review of the power elite. I kept wishing for a bit more though.
Carolanne
Apr 17, 2008 Carolanne marked it as to-read
Recommended for Brandon! I bet this book is full of creepy masonic stuff!!
Bill Seitz
So boring and long that I just put it down and threw it away.
Alyssa Christenson
Have a ways to go, but def some interesting insights.
Josh
It was a good insight into the lives of the mega elites.
  • Nobodies: Modern American Slave Labor and the Dark Side of the New Global Economy
  • Unequal Democracy: The Political Economy of the New Gilded Age
  • Supercapitalism: The Transformation of Business, Democracy, and Everyday Life
  • Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution, and Profit
  • The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them
  • The Haves and the Have-Nots: A Brief and Idiosyncratic History of Global Inequality
  • The United States of Europe: The New Superpower and the End of American Supremacy
  • The Oil Kings: How the U.S., Iran, and Saudi Arabia Changed the Balance of Power in the Middle East
  • For the Common Good: Redirecting the economy toward community, the environment, and a sustainable future.
  • The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability
  • Hoodwinked: An Economic Hit Man Reveals Why the World Financial Markets Imploded & What We Need to Do to Save Them
  • All You Can Eat: How Hungry is America?
  • Age of Fracture
  • The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon
  • How Would a Patriot Act?: Defending American Values from a President Run Amok
  • Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time
  • The New Industrial State (James Madison Library in American Politics)
  • Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail
David Rothkopf is the internationally acclaimed author of Superclass: The Global Power Elite and the World They are Making (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, March 2008), now available in over two dozen editions worldwide, and Running the World: The Inside Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American Power (PublicAffairs, 2005), hailed by The New York Times as "the definitive his...more
More about David Rothkopf...
Power, Inc.: The Epic Rivalry Between Big Business and Government--and the Reckoning That Lies Ahead Running the World: The Inside Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American Power Power, Inc.: The Epic Rivalry Between Big Business and Governmentand the Reckoning That Lies Ahead National Insecurity: American Leadership in an Age of Fear The Price of Peace: Emergency Economic Intervention and U.S. Foreign Policy