Start by marking “Pizza: A Slice of American History” as Want to Read:
Pizza: A Slice of American History

Pizza: A Slice of American History

With liberty and pizza for all. There is no doubt that pizza is one of the most popular foods in the United States, cherished by everyone from Homer Simpson to the president. Americans reportedly eat a combined 350 slices every second! Although pizza has its origins overseas, it has come into full (ahem) flour here in the States. Pizza: A Slice of American History tells th ...more
Published September 1st 2014 by Voyageur Press

To ask other readers questions about Pizza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pizza

Salt by Mark KurlanskyAt Home by Bill BrysonThe Professor and the Madman by Simon WinchesterGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondA History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
Histories of the Everyday
51st out of 228 books — 264 voters
Salt by Mark KurlanskyBreakfast by Heather Arndt AndersonCod by Mark KurlanskyUncommon Grounds by Mark PendergrastThe Big Oyster by Mark Kurlansky
Food & Drink Histories
29th out of 115 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Snotchocheez
Apr 13, 2015 Snotchocheez rated it liked it
Ok for what it aspires to be (which I'm guessing is a coffee table compendium on pizza history) but its jokesy writing and uneven photography rarely elevate this above a curiosity, a sort of pizza history textbook. I did learn that St.Louis and New Haven each have their own style of pizza: St.Louis' cheese blend evidently features liquid smoke to simulate smoked provolone flavor. Yum!
Steven Peterson
Jun 10, 2016 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
This book is a lot of fun! I like pizza--as do so many of us. This volume is the end result of the authors love and passion for pizza.

The book touches on a number of subjects. One that provides context. . . . The origins and history of pizza. How the dish began; its evolution over time; from simplicity to a wide variety of pies; the role of yeast. And so on.

The book begins with the major "families" of pizza. Discussed here is the Neapolitan/New York style, Sicilian pizza, deep dish (Chicago) sty
Jacquie
Dec 01, 2015 Jacquie rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookery
Like others, I saw "Pizza" and failed to really pay attention to the subtitle of "a slice of American History". This is not a cookbook with some history thrown in, this is a history book with a few recipes thrown in. The parts I skimmed were fairly interesting and well written. But none of the recipes seemed that approachable for a home cook since they called for all different types of yeast ('fresh compressed yeast', instant yeast, dry yeast) with no real explanation for what the difference was ...more
Nandini Misra
Jun 27, 2015 Nandini Misra rated it it was amazing
first of all i would like to thanks goodreads as I recieved the book as a part of giveaway.

ABOUT THE BOOK
I received my signed hardcover copy today .
Well ,the book was awesome . it's about the pizza , its history
Here,in the book we are told about the types of pizza. The book also explore how to pizza came into the existence , Liz used to write for the column in a reputed newspaper or magazine. After introducing the divergent categories of pizza ,Ms. barret also tells
Charles
Dec 09, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing
Pizza as a niche and then as a cultural and culinary mainstay

Given the ubiquitous nature of pizza in American life, it comes as a surprise to most people that this is generally a recent phenomenon. Even though something that we recognize as being the equivalent of pizza was around since the Persian Empire of Darius, it was not until after World War II that pizza started to expand out of the enclaves of Italian-Americans.
American soldiers serving in the Italian theater developed a taste for th
Conny
Oct 23, 2014 Conny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was a First Read Winner of this book, and boy did it make me hungry for Pizza. So read it at your own risk, but lets just say I want to be able to got to all the different places described in the book and have a taste test. Now I just have to win the lottery to make that dream come true. I found the book very informative, with great back stories, recipes and lots of wonderful pictures. I think anybody who loves pizza would enjoy this book. Just don't be cruel and give it to somebody that is on ...more
Theresa
Jul 23, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
More a history book than a cookbook, Pizza leads you through the world of American pizza. It covers regional differences, ingredients, and the range from grocery store frozen pizza to artisan pizza with flour and cheese flown in daily from Italy. Although some recipes are included, you are more likely to want to visit the restaurants named in the book. A pizza in the movies trivia quiz and restaurants that serve regional specialties in other parts of the country are bonuses.
Michael Brown
Apr 24, 2015 Michael Brown rated it liked it
I was a First Read Winner of this book, so thank you, Goodreads and Liz Barrett.

If this book did nothing else, it made me want to eat pizza, but it did do more than that. I enjoyed reading it, and the amount of information given was just right. I learned new things, but I didn't read anything that wasn't interesting. If you like pizza, or food in general, you should consider checking this book out. The recipes included look promising as well, and I look forward to trying them!
Eva Gogola
May 30, 2016 Eva Gogola rated it did not like it
This book was awful. At first I thought perhaps it was misplaced in the adult nonfiction collection, but then I realized it isn't good for young people, either. It's terribly written, with gigantic font, copious amounts of pictures and repetitive backgrounds, and in dire, dire need of an editor. Honestly, I could go into greater detail, but I already feel a bit mean. Anyway, I feel great shame that I asked my library to purchase this title. It is so bad. Pizza deserves better.
Natasha ⚡️
May 22, 2015 Natasha ⚡️ rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First of all I would like to say thank you to Liz Barrett for the opportunity to win a free copy. This book is definitely for pizza lovers and fanatics out there. More or less everything you need to know about pizza and learn new things along the way. Very good read with some pictures to go with it! :)
Richard
Aug 18, 2016 Richard rated it liked it
a fun, very light read more a catalog of styles then a history. interested to try dinner if the styles I had never heard of. Detroit pizza sounds good and maybe st. Louis.
Aubrey
Nov 24, 2015 Aubrey rated it really liked it
**NOTE: This is a book that I won through a Goodreads giveaway**

It took me a while to finally finish this book but, it was very enjoyable. I learned a lot about pizza and the history behind it.
Cassie
It's a lot of information about pizza, as far as Americans have learned it to be. Not really my thing, but quick and interesting. Got a couple ideas from it.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Arthur
Arthur rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Sushma Mainali
Sushma Mainali rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
David Wilson
David Wilson rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Endi Dalimunthe
Endi Dalimunthe rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2015
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Abi
Abi rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Lisa Coleman
Lisa Coleman rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Chaim Klein
Chaim Klein rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Kayleigh
Kayleigh rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Al
Al rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Minh Trân
Minh Trân rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please change my cover 5 23 May 29, 2014 10:06PM
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • What to Cook and How to Cook It
  • American Wine: The Ultimate Companion to the Wines and Wineries of the United States
  • Dash Diet: Top Dash Diet Recipes For Weight Loss (Dash Diet Recipes, Weight Loss Books, Weight Loss Tips Book 1)
  • Jacques Pépin Heart & Soul in the Kitchen
  • Lidia's Favorite Recipes: 100 Foolproof Italian Dishes, from Basic Sauces to Irresistible Entrees
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's THE SECRET GARDEN
  • Emeril's New New Orleans
  • Japanese Cooking The Traditions, Techniques, Ingredients And Recipes
  • The Perfect Pie: A Handbook for Pie Lovers
  • The Hip Girl's Guide to the Kitchen: A Hit-the-Ground Running Approach to Stocking Up and Cooking Delicious, Nutritious, and Affordable Meals
  • The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook: Every Recipe, Every Ingredient Testing, and Every Equipment Rating from the Hit TV Show
  • Easy Recipes for Summer Cooking: A short collection of receipes from Donal Skehan, Sheila Kiely and Rosanne Hewitt-Cromwell
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Comfort Food Without Borders Volume Two: The Main Course
  • Mediterranean Diet for Beginners: The Complete Guide - 40 Delicious Recipes, 7-Day Diet Meal Plan, and 10 Tips for Success
Liz Barrett has been a magazine journalist since 2004, focusing her efforts on food and beauty topics. She's the former editor-in-chief and current editor-at-large for PMQ Pizza Magazine, the nation's No. 1 pizza industry magazine, where she eats, breathes and writes about pizza on a daily basis. She also authors a weekly blog for the industry called The Pizza Insider, with the goal being to keep ...more
More about Liz Barrett...