Start by marking “The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond” as Want to Read:
The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond

The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,862 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Evans defines verbal abuse, shows how to recognize it, and tells women who find themselves in abusive cycles what to do. Based on hundreds of interviews, this timely and much needed book will change the way men and women think about their communication patterns. National publiicty.
Published May 1st 1992 by Adams Media Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Verbally Abusive Relationship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Verbally Abusive Relationship

Joe
If you put a frog ina pot of boiling water it will jump out; but if the frog goes into cold water that heats gradually, it will stay in and die.

The same is true for any habitual recipient of verbal abuse. you learn to accept things no person should accept. Ultimately you need to make a choice to leave, unless you have been able to set limits and stop it before then.

This seems so simple when you read about it in a book such as this one, but it is not so easy in practice after you have been wound
Katya Kean
This book blew my mind. It takes so much confusion out of human interactions.

It's one of the maybe 10 books that have actually changed the way I look at all of humanity, as well as my own behavior. The sense of clarity, peace, and empowerment that I got from this book has made it, rather awkwardly, one of my new favorite books.

Me - "I just read an amazing book on Verbally Abusive Relationships! You should totally read this!"
Friend - "Uh, wow, why are you reading a book on that?"
Me - "Um..."
F
Juliana
This review is taken from my blog at http://blog.geekuniverse.org/2008/02/.... I apologize if there are any places where the formatting didn't transfer.

This entry will be more of a story than a real book review.

I've been fascinated for a long time by the subject of verbal & emotional abuse. I call it "white collar" abuse. Like white collar crime is harder to detect and a bit more sophisticated than knocking an old lady on the head with a beer bottle. What I call "white collar abuse" is abuse
Annette
Dec 14, 2010 Annette rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annette by: Gail
Shelves: self-help
Patricia Evans did an outstanding job on the "How to Recognize" part of this book, however the rest of the book is terribly inadequate. Ms. Evans based this book on 40 interviews that she had with women who had been verbally abused by men. I wish that she would've stated this in the title or subtitle. I was turned off by the fact that she totally fails to recognize the fact that woman can be just as verbally abusive as men.

Another thing that bothers me is that Evans is not a psychologist which
Richard Stephenson
I liked it.

This book can probably be a great help for the more traumatic verbally abusive relationships. Even regular old relationships could use it as a warning. Worth a run-through if you're interested in deepening your partnership.

I did have a few qualms though: (even though the author was upfront about it) the constant use of the husband/man as the abuser kind of wore me down by the end of the book. Also, her build-up and research is good, but her prescription is horrid... telling ANYONE who
Melissa
This was one of the better books I've read on the subject. It offers clear insight into the problems of mentally/verbally abusive relationships without adopting the “blame the victim” mentality so many of the other books had. For someone struggling with their decisions already, those types of books only make things worse. Although, this book, like the others, has suggestions for how to make things work with your abuser which doesn't help either if they don't want to pursue it. It just makes you ...more
Marc
To sum this up:
1) If your relationship with someone is not absolutely wonderful then the man is an abuser.
2) If the woman saying “stop” does not immediately fix the issue and turn it into a wonderful relationship then the end the relationship.

This book was a slow read for me and I ended up needing to renew the library book two or three times to give myself time to finish it. Part of what slowed it down for me is the book is very detailed. There are many lists with 10 to over 20 items each. I was
Jeannette
This was my non-fiction for February. After reading The Gift of Fear last year, it was an interesting to follow up with another look at abuse and violence. Even as much as I read, it can be very difficult for me to understand why people let themselves stay in abusive relationships for as long as they do, but one thing I really appreciated about this book was the way it described all the different types of verbal abuse - some of which I wouldn't have considered abusive at all, but maybe just frus ...more
Kathleen Anderson
i am working toward becoming my highest self, the best possible person in Christ's Love, so i can be more like Jesus. it is amazing how often i hear "unlove" in words and see this in action. my ministry vision is to promote seeing the God-given dignity in each person, "from conception to natural death" as Catholic Christianity states. combine this with the infant and toddler neuroscience and how the tiniest humans' brains are formed, and we can transform our entire human family! i do believe in ...more
Cecily Erker
This book was a godsend to me when I picked it up at Goodwill for 50 cents. It helped me free myself from an extremely unhealthy and abusive relationship with my mother. I also read passages of it to my dad, who has been divorced from her for years but is still working through his own trauma from his marriage and his childhood. My aunt just happened to also have a copy of it and it led to a very eye opening discussion between me, her and my dad where I learned about her own abusive husband and h ...more
Kelly
Aug 17, 2008 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's feeling bad about the way someone else treats them
Recommended to Kelly by: my mom
I have recommended this book dozens of times since purchasing it a decade ago. When my mom gave me just one chapter to read, I found myself on the way to healing. It made so much sense. Now I know what to look for when people try to play mind games, or try to manipulate a rational person with irrational tactics. I cut them out of my life! I'd give it ten stars if I could.

recommended for women who are losing self-confidence from the way their husbands treat them. Anyone experiencing abuse from an
India
This book is a powerhouse. It covers, in highly relateable terms, every imaginable scenario of abuse that DOESN'T involve physical abuse. "Verbal Abuse" is an unfortunate term with which we are stuck. Unfortunate because non-physical abuse is most often much more than name-calling or yelling at someone. It ranges from controlling behavior, manipulation, oppression, degradation, all the way to emotional terrorism. You will learn how to recognize abusive behavior, whether in yourself (sometimes a ...more
Armando Espinoza
First off, let me start by saying that I'm a guy. I had a time in my life where I became someone I didn't want to be. I somehow lost my way, and I was becoming the "verbal abuser" described in this book until I realized that I was turning into a monster and changed all of that. Knowing if you're in an abusive relationship is extremely hard, especially since there are usually no witnesses to the abusive behavior. I can tell you from experience that everything Patricia Evans says about "verbal abu ...more
T-boy
Jan 10, 2010 T-boy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever lived close to a verbally abusive person!
My father was verbally very abusive when I grew up. He still is everytime I see him. This book helped me understand better what was going on. I felt empowered reading it, learning that it was not something wrong with me and that my feelings and reactions to the horrible situations that I have been subject to was accurate and healthy.

Ann Alton
Saved. My. Life.

Seems a bit dramatic, i know, but it helped me to understand that most abuse isn't the kind you can see. I left a relationship that was bad on both sides because of it. So a gigantic thanks to the author.
Marianne
Enlightening. It explained my own experience and my responses to that experience. I recommend the book to anyone who has been through it, wonders if they are going through it, or knows someone who is.
Martha
Although the main focus of this book is on couples, it is also extremely useful regarding friends, family, colleagues.
Vanessa 'Pixi' Kraus
Dec 01, 2011 Vanessa 'Pixi' Kraus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - information is always a good thing
Recommended to Vanessa 'Pixi' by: Desiree
I think that everyone should read this book. It helped me to realize some of the very non obvious forms of verbal abuse. There are so many things that happened to me that I never would have thought or considered verbal abuse until I read this book and was better able to understand my own circumstance. This book has helped me to understand myself better, my situation better, and to move forward with my life. The reason I think everyone should read this book is because it defines the many facets o ...more
Cheryl
If you believe that you have ever been verbally abused or even if you want to read more about it, I would recommend this book to you. Usually when you think of abuse, you think of physical abuse. Verbal abuse does not leave visible scars, but the emotional scars that it leaves are hard to heal.

Sometimes we go along in life and think that we have to just go along with whatever life hands us. Even if you get into a relationship that is verbally abusive, you may not even realize it. Read this book
Izlinda
I wrote a review but then my laptop froze so I lost it. I should really learn better and continue writing my reviews on Word and copying/pasting them here.

I've had this book checked out from the library for a while and even had to renew its due date because I didn't get to it in time. When I found out I couldn't renew it (again) because someone had a hold on it, I forced myself to read it.

I had to skim this book pretty quickly, but I did take a few notes somewhere. In the first section Evans ta
Nick Blasier
I learned a lot about myself for sure, but honestly, my biggest take away from this book: as someone looking to understand potentially abusive behaviors they exhibit, and looking to change them, I feel thoroughly verbally abused by this book, by her own definitions. I can't count how many times it was repeated that I was unlikely to change, out of control, would only get worse, lived in a false and different reality, am incapable of empathy, on and on and on. I'm not sure the fact that it wasn't ...more
Finalie07
this book hit me like a tonne of brick.. most of us wouldn't know we are in an abusive relationship.. most of the time, we just accepted it as part of who (the abuser) are..

although verbal abuse relationship are not physically visual, the effects in has on one self-confidence and personality is just as damaging or maybe even more than a physical abuse..

words can really hurt a person.. and when i read this book, i realized that i was in an abusive relationship.. and Thank God i walked out.. this
Sheryl
That I WASN"T crazy...If the words or attitude disempower, disrespect, or devalue the other, than they are abusive. In a verbally abusive relationship, the partner learns to tolerate abuse w/o realizing it & to lose self-esteem w/o realizing it. She is blamed by the abuser and becomes the scapegoat. Crazymaking.....
Evans relates the prevalence of verbal abuse as it relates to the power-over dominance promoted in our me-first society. Think Bullies.
This book in particular helped save my sani
Cynthia Garfunkel
There is nothing I could say about this book that makes a more forceful impact than what the author herself has to say about verbal abuse. This. book,will help you take your personal power back and teach you how to deal with bullies and control freaks.

"If at any time you are defined in a negative way, threatened, raged at, put down, or lied to - know that it is verbal abuse. It is important to know that explaining yourself to the abuser doesn't work. This is so for two reasons: The abuser is not
Carl
This book really clarified and validated my past experiences with difficult people. I am no longer tempted to think I'm the crazy one. I highly recommend this book if you have people in your life that are difficult to have a relationship with.
Jessie
Overall it was a good book that I would recommend to anyone who has a verbally abusive person in their life. My main complaint is that the author only used examples of women being verbally abused by men, and only in romantic relationships. It was just strange to me that it was so specifically geared toward women in verbally abusive marriages. I gave it 3 stars because the subject itself is really important, and Evans speaks clearly to her very specific audience.

Shanon
Again, another insightful book on the covert interpersonal styles of those in abusive relationships. Another one that I experienced all ranges of emotions with.
Evans is dangerously close to alienating her readership as she denies her reader's partner his (or her) humanity. So far she offers her victims no advice and no evidence to ground her assertions. That said, I am a little removed from the general readership and it is clear that both I am benefiting from the reader and so did my benefactor. I gained more from the comments left by the woman who read this book before me, but I do understand where this book could benefit some readers.

The Verbally Ab
Colin
I don't agree with all the author's premises or conclusions, but it certainly was an interesting book. I read it mostly to get a better handle on how I used to be treated - how I used to LET myself be treated - by someone who was verbally abusive.
An interesting side note: a lot of the author's obsession is with the validation of a partner's experience of reality. This is an area in which I have a lot of experience, and was once accused of failing to validate a partner's experience of reality.
Izlinda

• Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
  • The Emotionally Abused Woman: Overcoming Destructive Patterns and Reclaiming Yourself
  • Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them: When Loving Hurts and You Don't Know Why
  • The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
  • Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time
  • The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Stop walking on eggshells : coping when someone you care about has borderline personality disorder
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last
  • Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have
  • Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Is a Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • It's My Life Now: Starting Over After An Abusive Relationship or Domestic Violence
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder, First Ed
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with People Who Try to Control You Verbal Abuse: Survivors Speak Out on Releationship and Recovery The Verbally Abusive Man: Can He Change?: A Woman's Guide to Deciding Whether to Stay or Go Victory Over Verbal Abuse: A Healing Guide to Renewing Your Spirit and Reclaiming Your Life Teen Torment: Overcoming Verbal Abuse at Home and at School

“In a verbally abusive relationship, the partner learns to tolerate abuse without realizing it and to lose self-esteem without realizing it. She is blamed by the abuser and becomes the scapegoat. The partner is then the victim.” 4 likes
“Verbal abuse by its very nature undermines and discounts its victim’s perceptions.” 1 likes