Start by marking “God Wants A Powerful People” as Want to Read:
God Wants A Powerful People

God Wants A Powerful People

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  1,654 Ratings  ·  265 Reviews
In her compelling style, bestselling author Sheri Dew outlines sources of true power and teaches the importance of learning to lay hold upon the blessings available to all true followers of Jesus Christ.
As she shares memorable experiences from her own life and the lives of others, she explains how we can access the powers of heaven to help us live up to who we really are.
Published October 1st 2007 by Deseret Book Company

To ask other readers questions about God Wants A Powerful People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Wants A Powerful People

Lucy
May 21, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it
I've always considered myself a Sheri Dew fan. Loved her biography of President Gordan B. Hinckley. Her book, No Doubt About It, is truly one of my favorites. I love her strength. I love her leadership. I love her honesty.

However, I did not love this book. It seems beyond sacrilege to not love a church book, especially one with such a message, although I do admit to loving many parts of it. Her masterful references to scriptures, appropriate analogies to really drive a point home and self-depri
Annette
Jan 24, 2015 Annette rated it really liked it
Notes from - GOD WANTS A POWERFUL PEOPLE
by, Sheri Dew

(If there is no name given then I'm quoting the author.)
CHAPTER 1 - GOD WANTS A POWERFUL PEOPLE -
"Do you think there is any chance The Lord would have inspired His prophets to prophesy about us, only to then take a chance on the outcome of the latter days by sending men and women He couldn't count on? There is no chance - ZERO CHANCE - He would have done that."
"For the Last Days are not for the faint of heart or the spiritually out of shape
Crystal
Jan 23, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE Sheri Dew, her books are great reads & this book was no exception!

Some of my favorite quotes were:

Our mission on Earth is designed to change us. It is designed to transform us. To give us the chance to be wise even though separated from the presence of our Father, to strip ourselves of uncleanness, to refuse to yield to temptation, and to choose not to consume our probation upon our lusts but to serve the true & living God.

It is the Holy Ghost who converts, teaches, &am
Jody Phillips
Sep 20, 2016 Jody Phillips rated it really liked it
A powerful book on transforming our lives with God's power.

While it's stuff we all ready know, Sister Dew has a way to infuse it and make us think about it in a way that inspires and uplifts.

Favorite quotes:
Although our period of probation requires us to endure and triumph (with God's help) over a terrestial environment, in the Father's grand mercy, He has not required us to brave this experience alone-- meaning, without Him. Mortality may be a test, but it is an open-book test.

Perfection will
Michelle
May 17, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I love Sheri Dew, and while this wasn't necessarily a page-turner, it has real depth and wisdom, and I found myself marking things on nearly every page. I think it's going to take some time (and probably a little re-reading) to digest.

For example, early in the book, she says, "The simple fact is that our Father did not recommend Sarah or Moses or Nephi or countless other magnificent exemplars for this dispensation. He recommended you and me." !! That is a mind-bender, for sure.

This book contains
Jul 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
I really like the way sheri dew tells her stories in a conversational matter. Maybe I didn't get the flow of this book because I was so sporadic in reading it, but I felt like I could have read the first three and the last chapters and been good to go. She also writes No One Can Take Your Place. That is a great book. In all fairness, the first few chapters of this book led to a serious examination of just how much of God's power I have in my life. For example, the question "what is one thing you ...more
Connor Boyack
Jun 09, 2008 Connor Boyack rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed by this book. I couldn't quite put my finger on is at I read, but many of the others who have reviewed this book summed it up better than I can. In essence, it just seemed simple.

To be sure, the content was spot on, and the principles discussed are great. But the organization was loose, the analyses/stories were not all that compelling, and the entire thing seemed a bit "fluffy".

As another commenter wrote, I'm disappointed that I was disappointed by the book. I was hopi
Diane
Aug 01, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
This book is an expansion of one of Sheri Dew's previous talks about God wanting-NEEDING- a powerful people to help spread the gospel to the world. Pulling from many various speakers, both within and out of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, as well as her insight, she describes what it takes to be a true follower and example of Christ. This is really not a quick read. I found myself writing on various slips of paper key points that were made so that I would have constant reminders ...more
Bryn
Aug 24, 2008 Bryn rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Sheri Dew. This book left me feeling that I can do much better and be much better. She makes living the gospel sound so easy and simple.
Amie
Nov 29, 2015 Amie rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
3.5 There are some great parts and some that I found myself skimming over to get through it.
Lindsay Merrill
Oct 26, 2016 Lindsay Merrill rated it liked it
5 stars for the message. 2-2 stars for the delivery/execution.
Julie Carpenter
Dec 17, 2015 Julie Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, inspiring, 2015
I really enjoyed this one. It took me a while to get through, I'd pick it up and read then set it down and come back later, many, many days later. But I wanted to make sure I finish the books I started this year so I picked it up and finished it today.

I wish I would have finished it sooner but I believe that what I read the last part is what I was needing to hear now because a lot of it pertains to what I have been thinking and contemplating in my life.

To me God is good, he is truly my loving
Nikki
Jun 23, 2008 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gospel-related
This was an uplifting, motivational, inspiring book. I just love Sheri L. Dew. The focus of the book is to explain two comforting concepts:

"First, we can know that we are here now because we are supposed to be here now, and we came trailing clouds of glory, fully prepared for the unique challenges and complexities we would face in the latter part of the latter days. Second, we can understand that God wants a powerful people, and He has made it possible for us to have access to His power, for He
Janet
Jul 30, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
This book started out kind of slow to me then got way better the more I read. I especially liked the last three chapters that deal with the powers of the restoration, the blessings of the Priesthood, and being a true follower of Christ. As a side note this book answered a nagging question about the source of a rumor in the Church. If you've heard the statement that we got to choose our parents it could be because Elder LeGrand Richards said this, "My Daddy [George Franklin Richards, formerly ...more
Rebecca
May 27, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: lds, non-fiction
Don't let the three star rating fool you. Sheri Dew inspires me. Her writing is based on everything I've already read and known (because most of what she writes is quoting someone else). She sets it down in a precise and factual way. My rating is based more on literary appeal and style, whereas this book is pure substance: Substance that renews my faith and sets me back on course. Nothing to fault in that.

I found the greatest fortification in the last chapter, True Followers. Therein is an outli
Tamra
Oct 27, 2010 Tamra rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mormons
Recommended to Tamra by: Grandma T
This was our spiritual book gift from Grandma T for Christmas 2008. She always gives a spiritual book, signs the inside, and encourages us to read it as a couple. I read it on my own, though.

I'm calling this Read so that I can stop looking at it on my currently-reading list, where it's been for most of the year. I've read 140 of 205 pages (7 out of 9 chapters), and I don't know if I'm likely to read more. If I do read more, I'll come back and change this review.

I'm about 50-50 on Sheri Dew. She
Jeri Sue
Jul 26, 2008 Jeri Sue rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book, I thought it would be another one of those self-help books where I was reminded of how important I was, and that God loves me, etc. I should have known that it would not be one of those cotton candy type books, especially with Sheri Dew as author. When I finished this book I was overwhelmed by the messages that were presented.

Sister Dew does a fantastic job in helping the reader (me) recognize that I not only have access to the Powers on high, but that I a
Andrea
Mar 25, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
It took me a little while to read this book, but I really enjoyed it. It had all sorts of great advice. This book made me feel a little better about my own personal struggles and trials. I would say that one of my favorite chapters was chapter 4 where she talks about moving forward by backing up. I think we all have times where we feel we are at a stand still and aren't quite sure what to do. This chapter made me realize just how important it is to back up a little and I can learn even more. ...more
Kori
Sep 11, 2008 Kori rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Wow. Can I give more than 5 stars? Please read this book!
But know that this is NOT a warm, fuzzy, feel-good, 'pick-me-up' of a book. And yes, we've heard some of it before. Here, Sheri sets out simply and succinctly all the ways that we are not meeting our potential (the truth is hard to take, for some) and what we must do to get there.
It is inspiring, though, in a "get up off your duff" kick in the pants sort of way that we need to hear. She says, "In today's world, there are too many good peo
Tianna
Feb 02, 2009 Tianna rated it liked it
This was a good book, filled with true principles. My only beef with it was that it was boring, and terribly written, at least for MY personality/learning style, it could not keep my interest, even though I am VERY interested in the topics brought forth in this book. The way it was written was too structured, and not enough emotion. (that being the only way I can explain my problem with it!) So, if you like analytically structured books, then this is for you! but if you like passion and ...more
Karen
Jan 24, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
There are only a few books that, once I finish reading them, I want to own. That's why I'm a huge fan of the library. This one, however, I will be looking to add to MY library. So many of the things she said resonated with me. I constantly found myself wanting to mark things and write little notes, but I refrained. I didn't think the library would like that. I look forward to going back through it in my copy someday soon though, and doing just that.

Her insights seems especially powerful to me, c
Erin
Mar 01, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
I love this topic. I think there is so much that we are missing in our lives, because we do not know how to access God's power. Sheri Dew puts things very simply. She is not complicated with her speech, thus she gives us the opportunity to read and understand quickly. The question is what will we do with the information. Interestingly enough, her outline of how we access God's power: Nothing we haven't heard before.

My favorite quote from the book is actually two questions.
"Will you learn to acc
Beth
Sep 28, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
A couple of great quotes:

"The Holy Ghost is the Great Revelator and Translator, and He will reveal and translate truths in such a way that you can hear them and apply them -- all so that you will continue to progress and grow and change." -p. xii

"Sometimes life is just plain old hard. But hard is not necessarily bad ... it's just hard. And during intense times, we sometimes grow and learn the most. Despite the disappointments and challenges -- and often because of them -- there are some things I
Tanya
I took my time with this book, reading bits at a time, letting the Spirit guide me when to pick it up and continue. Because of that I enjoyed the insights that were taught to me, and even spots that bother other readers did not bother me because it was teaching me how I can become a better individual, closer to God, and examine my life daily as to what can I improve. There is wisdom to be gleaned as we strive to access the Power of God. My favorite Chapters were the last two, Priesthood power, ...more
Amanda
May 26, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book. I have really enjoyed some of the author's other books, but this one just didn't click with me. I feel like there were too many topics covered on a very superficial level. I wish she would have gone deeper into a few topics, rather than lightly touching on many.
There were also a few parts that came across as very judgmental which left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
There were some good parts and a few quotes that I copied down. It just wasn't what I wa
Rachael
Dec 25, 2014 Rachael rated it liked it
So I FINALLY finished this book after about 2 years. I guess that may be parrt of the reason I didn't love it. I have to say that Sheri Dew is one of my very favorite authors and I have loved every other book she has written. She knows how to touch me and help me understand princples I have been taught my entire life in a whole new way. So honestly I was suprised I struggled with this book so much. I think every time I started reading this book I was looking for an easy read that I wouldnt have ...more
Kirsten Murphy
Jul 06, 2008 Kirsten Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kirsten by: Jenny
Shelves: spiritual
I love to listen to Sheri Dew! She always shares such practical wisdom that can be applied no matter what experience you are currently living. This talk contained such a wealth of uplifting, thought-provoking, messages centered on living the best way you possibly can so that you can be close to the Savior. One thing I absolutely loved was a letter she received, which said: "I bet when you wake up in the morning, Satan says, 'Oh no, she's awake again!'" I want to live my life in such a way that I ...more
Peggy
May 30, 2008 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Sheri Dew has a powerful testimony and is as great an advocate for Jesus Christ as you can get. I am always inspired by her books and though some of it I'd heard before in her Time Out For Women talk, I am glad to have it in print form and my book now has lots of blue tabs marking pages with the parts that hit home to me the most. Her section on the Priesthood rose me to new levels of appreciation for this wonderful gift that we have. Her words always fill and swell my heart to bursting as I ...more
Staci
Feb 02, 2008 Staci rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual-lds
I was disappointed with this book, and frankly, disappointed that I was disappointed. I love anything by Sheri Dew, but her most recent book seems to be a collaboration of things I've heard her say before and/or remarks that just didn't hit me like I needed at the time. I was looking for a spiritual uplift and I found myself trudging through this like one trudges through snow that's up to their knees. I confess I never even finished it (which is something I rarely do) but I needed to move on.

Rachelle
Dec 17, 2008 Rachelle rated it really liked it
Sheri shared some things that really changed me, and I liked how concise this was. I was a little disappointed in some of the stories, because it starts to feel like the author is kind of judgemental in the stories she shares. It's like she finds nitpicky things about people to turn into learning experiences, from people who are probably really good people who are trying their best. But I'd still recommend this for the messages she shares.
  • Trusting Jesus
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
  • My Dear Sisters: Inspiration for Women from Gordon B. Hinckley
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
62012
Sheri Dew graduated from Brigham Young University. She served as second counselor in the general Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1997 to 2002. In March 2003 the White House appointed her a member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. In 2002, Sheri Dew became president and CEO of Deseret Book Company.
More about Sheri Dew...