Start by marking “Watch Out, Snail!” as Want to Read:
Watch Out, Snail!

Watch Out, Snail!

it was amazing 5.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
Hunting in the forest at night. Is the powelliphanta snail the hunter or hunted? This large, beautiful snail is rare and native to New Zealand.
Some Maori language on last page, factual section also.
Paperback, 1st, 32 pages
Published 2013 by Page Break, New Zealand

To ask other readers questions about Watch Out, Snail!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Out, Snail!

Angela
Jan 07, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior-primary
The language is interesting yet reasonably simple. it has a certain rhythm but is not rhyming except once. There is always something to look for in each 2 page spread along with the snail. I feel the language sometimes lacks momentum, it's a bit jumpy, but of course that reflects how the snail must be to sense creatures which might prey on him or stamp on him. A pity the author didn't include humans as well.
The art work is stunning, especially the shiny snail shell. I haven't seen anything like
Kathleen Dixon
May 20, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing
This is beautifully illustrated and tells perfectly the status of small creatures in our native forests. The native snail, powelliphanta, is as big as a person's fist, and is carnivorous. But while it is hunting for a juicy worm, other animals are hunting it!

After reading this James was inspired to hunt for a snail in our garden, and we now have a snail farm in our schoolroom. A second snail arrived on a piece of silver beet - maybe we'll have babies in a little while.
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015