Start by marking “Jaded” as Want to Read:
Jaded

Jaded

After sixteen-year-old Jade discovers her late grandmother was poisoned, she’s devastated yet determined to find the killer commune member and their motive.

With help from her mysterious friend Tyrian, and Peaches, the commune leader’s sweet daughter; Jade unearths dark secrets that involve her mother’s affair, her maternal grandparent’s abandonment, and a plethora of murde
507 pages
Published 2013 by SwoonReads

To ask other readers questions about Jaded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jaded

Ninie Hammon
May 24, 2014 Ninie Hammon rated it it was amazing
I’ve not read much young adult fiction and if JADED is any indication of the quality of that genre, it’s clear I have been seriously missing out. It was a delightful book and a quick read. I finished it on plane flights to Spain and back to the US.
JADED is the story of a 16-year-old girl who has grown up in a commune in Virginia where everything in her life is monitored and controlled—including her eye color. Children in Nirvana undergo surgery on their eyes to change the color to one of three
Daphne Bois
Mar 29, 2014 Daphne Bois rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya

Jaded, the first in a new dystopian YA series, is a real gem.
Jade lives in a commune which functions on a very strict set of rules – here, eye colour is invariably linked with career paths, spouses, names and other aspects of everyday life. And eye surgery sounds like a very scary procedure.

To make matters worse, Jade is faced with a tough choice – take a dangerous risk and uncover the grim truth that lies just under the surface of her community, or go on pretending that everything is fine. Bu
K.C. Finn
Mar 11, 2014 K.C. Finn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I get really excited when I find a writer who really knows how to tell a story. Kristy Feltenberger Gillespie could have turned the phonebook into a narrative and I would have lapped it up page by page. I am delighted to say that Jaded is a serious page-turner, a well told story with fully formed characters and an intriguing plot that sets up what promises to be a fascinating series.

Gillespie takes puts a huge twist on the tidal wave of (mostly boring) dystopian fiction that the YA world is domi
Tara
Mar 31, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a friend who is a talented author herself. Really enjoyed this unique book and the way the background was revealed bit by bit. I look forward to seeing how the story continues to unfold.
HKelleyB
Apr 07, 2014 HKelleyB rated it liked it
Jaded (Nirvana Series 1) by Kristy Feltenberger Gillespie follows the life of sixteen-year-old Jade, who lives in a secluded commune in Virginia called Nirvana, as she approaches maturity and the responsibilities and choices that accompany it. In her community, when she turns seventeen, she must make several life-altering decisions. Jade must decide what ‘life path’ she will pursue. Or, there is a third option – one more daring, more dangerous, more desperate. Jade’s choice is made difficult ...more
Jean Scheffler
Mar 25, 2014 Jean Scheffler rated it really liked it

I instantly fell a kinship to the main character Jade. A sixteen year old girl on the brink of adulthood and the many decisions that one faces at that age. Feelings of friendship that are developing into strong feelings of love. Loyalty to her family yet her wings feel the need to spread and grow. The need to follow the rules of society yet rebel against rules that seem stringent or wrong. (Didn't we all feel like that?)

These and more are the conflicts that face Jade as she sits by her grandmoth
Clare Wilson
Mar 18, 2014 Clare Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jaded, follows the adventures of a girl, Jade, who lives in the mysterious commune of Nirvana and is the first book in the Nirvana Series.
Everything about Jade's life is monitored, down to the food she eats, and she's at a point in her life, when she begins to question the control the commune and its leaders have over her and her family.
Born and raised in the closed community, the world Jade knew is turned upside down by a chain of events, kick started by the death of her grandmother, Ruby.
Are
Tanya Miranda
Mar 15, 2014 Tanya Miranda rated it really liked it
Living in a closed out society seems highly unlikely in today's uber-connected world, but not totally impossible. Jade knows nothing about the commune she grew up in, the family she calls her own, or the "outside" world she's not allowed to visit. But when her grandmother dies, lies start to unearth and the foundations of her life begin to shake. Jaded is full of lies, secrets, scandals, and family betrayal. A love story brews in the midst, but it's really not about that.

I have to admit the stor
Beth
Feb 23, 2014 Beth marked it as to-read
Shelves: tour

Click Picture to enter Giveaway Starts 2/26
$15 Starbucks Gift Card | Ebook Copy of Jaded
Sharon
Feb 18, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Kristy I loved it and I want to know more. I knew the premise from talking to you but loved seeing it come alive with your writing in this book.” – Sharon McGregor
Patty Coffman
Mar 29, 2014 Patty Coffman rated it it was amazing
I found the story so riveting that I was disappointed when it ended and was left hungry for more. Can’t wait for the sequel! Excellent read!
Nicola Dorrington
Apr 22, 2014 Nicola Dorrington rated it really liked it
Jaded is ultimately the story of a girl figuring out who she is and what she wants from life, but with the added twist of growing up in a secluded commune, where some seriously dodgy things are happening and she’s facing the overwhelming pressure to choose her ‘life path’, a choice that cannot be changed once it’s made.

In Nirvana, a person can only retire when their child chooses to follow in their career path, so the main character Jade, must decide before her next birthday which life path she
Daphne Bois
Mar 30, 2014 Daphne Bois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Jaded, the first in a new dystopian YA series, is a real gem.

Ky Grabowski
May 21, 2015 Ky Grabowski rated it really liked it
This book brings all its history into the pages at a perfect pace. It follows our lead on her journey into adult hood. She is faced with countless life decisions. It reminds me a lot of high school in that sense. Your forced into this new staged of life and have to make life-altering choices. Then be prepared for all that come with it.

Jade is a very well developed character even when she’s unsure of who she is. I think that’s what allows many people to connect with her. I remember being that
Kathryn Svendsen
Jan 13, 2015 Kathryn Svendsen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, action
Jade is almost 17 years old and will soon be choosing her life path, either following in her mother’s career as a teacher or her father’s as a wine maker. At that time she will undergo an eye surgery to change the colour of her eyes to indicate her life path choice. This is the rule of the commune in which she lives.

When her grandmother, with whom she is very close, dies, and secretly gives her a journal telling her to tell no one about it, but read it, she does and realizes she has two choices,
Megan
Feb 18, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Actual rating–3.5

Jaded is a story about sixteen year old Jade who lives a community called Nirvana. In Nirvana, people are classified by their color. Once a child turns seventeen, they choose the life path of one of their parents and get an eye surgery to reflect their decision. Right before Jade's grandmother dies, she gives Jade her diary which exposes the dark secrets of some of Nirvana's citizens. The rest of the book basically focuses on developing that plot.

This novel is a combination of s
Ionia
Jun 20, 2014 Ionia rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of YA, and I hate to make a terrible pun here, but I have become quite jaded. So, when I crossed this book, I didn't expect to love it.

I was wrong.

This is one of the most original concepts I have seen in a long while and I was not only pleasantly surprised by how good it is, but also impressed by the imagination of the author that stood out so clearly in her writing.

The eye colour elements of this book are so interesting I never would have thought about the course of someone
Kristin Scearce
Mar 20, 2014 Kristin Scearce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

Jade lives in Nirvana, a commune in Virginia where people are categorized by their eye colors. She and her best friend, Ty, have heard tales of the Outside, but to try to escape means harsh punishment. However, Jade soon learns some very interesting and quite disturbing facts about Nirvana, and she and Ty must make a decision: Stay in their strange little town, knowing what they now know, or daring to make a run for it to the worl
Cherie
Feb 19, 2014 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jade must decide what is right in Kristy Feltenberger Gillespie's Jaded. The dystopian-like yet unique setting pulled me into the story. I wanted to know the secret behind the eye surgeries and the strange community. Jade is a strong character, and I love how she was torn between doing what was right and what her community expected of her. Her connection with Ty definitely gave the story some sweet romance. The mystery was well-laid out. Although it wasn’t a surprise what was going on, I still h ...more
Sara Lunardi
Apr 02, 2014 Sara Lunardi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-authors
I love this book!
The plot is intriguing, full of lies, secrets, scandals, and drama. The action is fast-paced with many plot twists.
The topic of the dystopian commune based on the eye colors is original, the reader can feel the claustrophobic control over the lives of its inhabitants. The contrast between the commune and the outside world is wonderfully depicted.
All the characters are realistic and three-dimensional. Jade, the protagonist, is a normal teenager, a good daughter and she follows th
Claire
May 13, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-publisher
I received a copy of Jaded from the author in return for an honest interview.
When I read the synopsis for Jaded I was immediately interested and more than a little intrigued. Novels about alternate societies are fast becoming one of my favourite genres, as I'm fascinated by ideas that different authors have.
This is family drama with a capital D! Secrets and lies, love and death abound in this fast-paced first instalment of the Nirvana series. There are twists and turns aplenty, intrigue, deceit
Katie Cross
May 06, 2014 Katie Cross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: white-knucklers
I read Jaded when it was on swoon reads and loved it so much that I bought it as soon as it became available on kindle, and then I bought it on paperback.

Jaded is a great dystopian because it's totally different than what I expected. Gillespie really hits home with originality. (In a dystopian? I know. Ridiculous idea- but she does.) The eye colors, all of Samsara, the struggle to figure out her future: I loved all of it. The fine details about wines, the school kids, the struggle, it was great
S.K. Gregory
May 28, 2014 S.K. Gregory rated it it was amazing
Jaded features a young girl called Jade who lives in a commune with her family. After her grandmother dies, she learns some disturbing secrets about Nirvana. Beneath the benevolent surface lies a dark history. Jade must try to escape before it is too late.
The book was suspenseful and with plenty of mystery to keep you guessing. The main character was someone you could relate to and root for. Great for teens and up.
Charlene
Feb 19, 2014 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristy, I was surprised to have been so captured by the plot. I never thought I’d have time to read this past work week with evening duty, exams, grades due, and a bad cold to add to it. So, it says it all that I just had to keep turning the pages until the end. Can’t wait to read the sequel! Perfect for young adults and lovely for seasoned readers as well! I’m glad you’re realizing your dream as an author, and it’s well deserved!
Penny Degaetani
Sep 11, 2016 Penny Degaetani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JADED is a great book. It is exciting and full of drama. Not just for Young Adults. Anyone would enjoy reading this new offering.
Susan Day
Oct 01, 2014 Susan Day rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is easy to read and flows beautifully. The more I read the more I became intrigued with the book’s title and the use of colours. Our hero is Jade who on her seventeenth birthday will choose her eye colour and thus her name and profession. What an interesting idea.

Jade is a gift photographer. She uses Polaroids to capture important moments throughout the book. I liked the idea of instantly capturing a thing of beauty on film that could be treasured long afte
RobinLeigh Morgan
Nov 29, 2014 RobinLeigh Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-own-books
“Jaded” is a one of those YA novels which come along once in a while that has a wonderful blend of items which makes it appealing to a wider audience.

The book tells the story of a young girl, Jade, who lives in a highly restrictive dystopian commune environment where the color of one’s eyes determines everything. While the community’s ophthalmology knowledge exceeds the world on the Outside, the same level of technology is almost non-existing when it comes many other areas of life.

Jade is now
Lotty Ellis
Nov 12, 2014 Lotty Ellis rated it really liked it
Jaded is a young adult dystopian novel set within a secluded commune in Virginia, America. The commune system has its own set of strict laws and rules, which revolve around eye colour. Career roles within the community are also associated with this. Each individual in the community is defined by their eye colour and therefore the choice of ‘life path’ they are able to choose. Eye colour is temporary until a child comes of age and then it is permanently changed to reflect their chosen ‘life ...more
Rachel Jones
Aug 18, 2014 Rachel Jones rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Jaded in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this was a really unique story line and I loved the idea of the eye colour depending on the career path chosen. I thought Jade was a wonderful character overall, although I did find her to be quite whiny at times, particularly when she wasn't sure about Ty's feelings for her. I also loved her relationship with Peaches and how it develops through the course of the novel. The explanation of how Nirvana came about seemed to be qu
Teri
May 22, 2015 Teri rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of YA and the author has developed an original concept in Jaded.

Jade is an easy character to like - although only sixteen years old, she's struggling with the loss of her beloved grandmother, trying to decide which career path she will follow, and how to tell her best friend she's in love with him. Family is very important to her and their feelings figure prominently in her decision-making processes.

With all the insta-love happening in some YA books, the romantic relationship in
« previous 1 3 next »