Start by marking “Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Cafe: Celebratory Menus and Recipes from New York's Premier Plant-Based Restaurants” as Want to Read:

This collection of vegan holiday recipes—the first of its kind from award-winning chefs—elevates plant-based fare to a new level. With fresh, inventive menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve, Lunar New Year, Super Bowl Sunday, Valentine's Day, Passover, Easter, Cinco de Mayo, and Independence Day, this cookbook blends favorite traditions with a modern ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Cafe

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Dec 26, 2014 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it it was amazing
This is a much-needed cookbook in the vegan world, particularly since "holiday" is not just the four usual American Christian holidays. The definition expands to sports events, other cultures, and other religious observances. Each chapter is just begging for a party, and I got excited.

Recipes I'm most excited about:
Grilled Box Choy with Sesame-Ginger Sauce (Lunar New Year)
Steamed Vegetable Dumplings (Lunar New Year)
Miso-Ginger Braised Tofu over Bamboo Rice Pilaf (Lunar New Year)
Sweet Fried Dumpl
K
Oct 16, 2014 K rated it really liked it
“Vegan Holiday Cooking is for people who love to cook and who are constantly looking for innovative and delicious recipes. It’s for people who love to spend time in the kitchen, either alone or with friends, and create beautiful vegan food that is full of flavor and love. It’s for cooks who love to bring everyone to the table to celebrate and savor the holidays.” – Vegan Holiday Cooking

As a vegan home chef, I love the ease of making a quick meal at home. When it comes to celebrations and making
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Nov 23, 2014 Jennifer Clausen-greene rated it it was amazing
This book has some delicious, mouth water vegan foods that were simply incredible and easy to make! I have a hard time finding good quality vegan cookbooks that are centered on the holidays that will not cost you an arm and a leg to prepare for your family, but this group of authors managed to do just that! My kids and I loved picking out and preparing different appetizing meals, drinks and desserts throughout this book. Some of our favorite recipes were the Braised Cranberry-Orange Tofu; Quinoa ...more
Kelly
Dec 15, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, reviewed
To read this post with photos, please head on over to my blog.

A Celebration of Vegan Food

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through the Blogging for Books program.)

As with many renowned vegan eateries, NYC’s Candle Café is a restaurant I’ve coveted from afar, salivating over the many mouth-watering dishes photographed, enjoyed, and shared by vegan friends and acquaintances on Instagram, tumblr, and other social media outlets. (I have five dogs who I love to pieces –
K.N.
Dec 04, 2016 K.N. rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised to see the assortment of holidays included in this delicious cookbook but, seeing that the restaurant is in New York City, I should not have been surprised. Everything is yummy and decadent, perfect for special occasions. I'll be sure to refer to this when I need to impress my omnivore relatives.
Judy Collins
A special thanks to Ten Speed Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As a vegan for several years, enjoying an organic and plant-based diet and lifestyle, with all the advantages-- I love discovering new sources to expand my culinary skills, as well as innovative menus and recipes for delectable tasteful dishes and pairings.

VEGAN HOLIDAY COOKING FROM CANDLE CAFÉ is beautifully packaged, with a stunning presentation of plant-based, fresh, and creative holiday recipes fro
Anna
May 16, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Ten Speed Press for the ARC of this book.

I had never heard of the Candle Cafe, but I’m trying to eat a more vegan diet, so I thought I would check out this recipe book.

From the title I expected this book to contain Christmas recipes; however it actually has recipes for a slightly peculiar selection of special occasions including Valentine’s Day, The Super Bowl, Passover and Cinco De Mayo as well as Christmas, New Year and Thanksgiving.

As you can probably tell from that li
Mazzou B
Oct 27, 2014 Mazzou B rated it it was ok

I was curious to see what kinds of healthy treats this book would hold the key to! The cover depicts such perfectly beautiful holiday appetizers, that I was excited to receive this hardback cookbook from the publisher, Ten Speed Press. There are a variety of easy to make (and eat!) recipes in this Vegan cookbook. This includes Crispy Black Bean Tacos, , Vegan Cheese Plate, Warm Apple Turnovers and Champagne Ice Braised Cranberry Orange Tofu, Christmas Pomegranate Punch, and many many more!
On a
Beth
Aug 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
I am not a Vegan but there have been many times that family members or friends come to visit that are. Vegan Holiday Cooking From Candle Café is the perfect recipe book for just such times. Although they are holiday based many will be a perfect dish for anytime of the year.

Initially I thought this book was going to be filled with Christmas, maybe Thanksgiving recipes but it actually covers Cinco de Mayo to Passover and beyond, wow was I pleasantly surprised.

Most important to me in a cook book…
T
Erin Cataldi
Oct 30, 2014 Erin Cataldi rated it it was amazing
This book made me so very hungry. The pictures were exquisite, the captions, mouthwatering, and the selection superb!. If you have meat eating friends who are skeptical of the vegan lifestyle, then this is the book to convince them otherwise! Make them a recipe or two from here and, while they may not convert, they will definitely understand that plant based meals can be tasty, satisfying, and totally worthwhile!

I knew the book was going to be a winner when I opened it and saw that there was a
Allergykidmom's Book Reviews
Oct 03, 2014 Allergykidmom's Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
If you are like me, you love a good cookbook. I can't really cook but love to eat. So cookbooks are a good thing for me to have. I actually like to collect them and have quite a bit of them. The Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Cafe, I will say is my first vegan cookbook. I never really thought of vegan eating as something that would look/taste good. When I think of vegan, I think of bland healthy food. But after perusing this cookbook, I realized I was wrong.

The Vegan Holiday Cooking from Cand
Martha
Oct 23, 2014 Martha rated it it was amazing
Crafted by the chefs at the trio of Candle eateries in New York City, this cookbook is divided up into ten menus: Super Bowl (or gametime recipes), Lunar New Year, Valentine's Day, Passover, Easter, Cindo de Mayo, Fourth of July barbecue, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. At first glance covering so many different holidays throughout the year might seem a little odd: many cookbooks only focus on the traditional trifecta of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.

However, for a vegan, h
Kezia
May 30, 2015 Kezia rated it liked it
Shelves: own, cookbooks
Plenty of fancy recipes to feed your fancy-pants friends. Definitely not for a beginner cook, and possibly not even a home chef of intermediate ability. Even some of the cocktail recipes will take a day or more to prep.

It's a pretty book, but I think with these kinds of recipes one really needs to have a photo of nearly everything, plated and garnished and dressed, to be able to follow along. I know that inevitably makes a book cost a lot more but it's a necessary evil.

My main complaint is tha
Faith
Jun 22, 2014 Faith rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
The owners of Candle Cafe have over 30 years of experience with vegan food and operate three vegan restaurants in New York. I have eaten in two of the three many times with both vegetarian and omnivore friends and family, including on Thanksgiving. I can attest to the fact that their food is fantastic. I am a vegetarian, but my omnivore friends have been completely blown away by the vegan cuisine. This cookbook contains vegan food and beverage recipes for holiday dining.

This is special occasion
Nerisa  Eugenia Waterman
Aug 29, 2014 Nerisa Eugenia Waterman rated it it was amazing
“Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Café” truly lives up to its name and is a must have if you are looking to wow your family this holiday season.

Living walking distance from a farmer’s market made it relatively easy for me to try basically any recipe in this cookbook, but the combination of chocolate (one of my favorite things in the world), blood orange and ginger made this recipe "Sweet Fried Dumplings with Blood Orange~Ginger Sauce" hands down the perfect first recipe for me to try from this
Terri
Nov 22, 2014 Terri rated it really liked it
This has some delicious unusual recipes for holidays.. Being vegan and gluten free sometimes it s a challenge to come up with recipes for everyone during the holidays..This book has every holiday covered from drinks , appetizers, main course and deserts I've tried several of these so far in anticipation of holidays coming up., The pumpkin cheese cake with apple cider reduction is fabulous , wild rice and Mushroom stuffing will be on my menu this year. although the recipes are not gluten free per ...more
ReadingMakesMeSmile
Jan 03, 2016 ReadingMakesMeSmile rated it really liked it
This cookbook is great the menu set out will make you the best vegan host or hostess the recipes are reasonably well set out and turn out delicious the only problem with it is that it often needs more liquid then the recipe suggests and the picture accuracy is minimal but still amazing! Some great must try recipes which I love are my fav Friday night dish the sweet potato latkes with almond creame fraiche, the amazing braised cranberry and orange tofu and the entertaining favourite sweet Potatoe ...more
kathryn w
May 27, 2014 kathryn w rated it it was amazing
Vegans, vegetarians and omnivores will all enjoy this cookbook from the Candle Cafe. It covers 10 major holidays from the super bowl to New Years Eve. I'm not a vegan but 2 recipes I would like to make right now are Stout Brownies (from the super bowl menu) and Baked Maple Pinto Beans (from the 4th of July)and many many others. The book is full of colored photographs for every menu. I also like the cocktails given for every menu. If you buy this as a gift for someone I think you will want to ...more
Teresa
Aug 18, 2014 Teresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
There is a heavy emphasis on seitan and other meat substitutes so for my own personal use (and those of many of my vegan friends) much of the book is not very useful. However, I did try a few of the cocktail recipes and they have been, without an exception, delicious and well balanced. I also loved the interpretation of holiday used by the authors, very playful way of organizing the inspirations for the recipes.
Susie
Nov 28, 2014 Susie rated it liked it
This cookbook is set up by holidays (Lunar New Year?) and there were some interesting ideas for vegan options. I am particularly excited for the cashew cheese recipe!
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Susan B
Aug 27, 2016 Susan B rated it it was ok
Results may be good, but very few recipes I would even try.
Ben Milne
Ben Milne rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Jennifer L. Johnson
Jennifer L. Johnson rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Ashley Barber
Ashley Barber rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Kathy Warnick
Kathy Warnick rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Martina
Martina rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Gunjan
Gunjan rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015