Start by marking “What Became of Her” as Want to Read:
What Became of Her

What Became of Her

Peligro, the sign said. "Danger--" because the road that led up to the house twisted sharply around the hill. One of the Hispanic workers had made the sign as the house was being prepared for its new owner. When Rosalind Slaymaster was finally ready to live there, everyone in the small Pennsylvanis town had come to call the place Peligro.

It was like Mrs. Slaymaster to leav
Published May 31st 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What Became of Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Became of Her

Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Kerr's 12th novel, narrator Edgar befriends Julie, the desperate-to-be-liked adopted niece of the town's eccentric Queen of Greed. Mrs. Slaymaster is a landowner who carries around a leather doll dressed in designer duds (the doll, Peale, is said to be a good luck charm). Edgar and Julie pal around with socially eccentric buddy Neil, forming tight threesome. When Edgar finds an old diary or Mrs. Slaymaster, he discovers the secrets of her unhappy childhood, and discovers how past shapes the p ...more
Taylor Lipski
Max
Oct 03, 2007 Max rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like other's lives.
Shelves: advisory
This book was OK. Rose Fitch's life was sad. She was in a way abandoned by the guy she loved, and to have her revenge, she became rich. When she was rich, she became mean. Her and her niece Julie went back to Texas. There, she bought a humongous house and at the same time, only befriended a few people.
This book basically told about Rose Fitch. She became Rosalind Slaymaster. She became an overprotective aunt, and then died a sad woman. Her niece became a happy wife and then E.C. Tobbit and Neal
Kylie D
Mar 27, 2011 Kylie D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very interesting book, but the best thing I like about it is at the end you see the changes of people and what effects you can really have on a person. Every chapter seemed to be very interesting and the characters were very weird. It seemed like sometimes like there were some parts I couldn’t understand and didn’t really get what they were talking about. This book showed how sometimes you don’t truly know a person.
John
May 30, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read once the reader gets a little bit into the story. The reader is unavoidably drawn into the book, wanting to know more about the past as well as the revenge Mrs. Slaymaster is planning. The book takes an interesting view point because the main antagonist could very well have been a protagonist in another story, as well as being a victim. We sympathize with the antagonist, she is not an evil woman.
Cui
Jan 18, 2009 Cui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quarter-2
I didn't really like this book so much, but I can say this book is pretty sad that people tend to ignore others when they aren't really 'rich'. Rose Fitch was forgotten but eventually she became much better but is still isn't perfect with the new people that she is living with as they are giving her some difficulties. I don't know what I would like about this book because it feels like the Characters were all adults and really hard to relate to.
Ewelina
Jun 09, 2008 Ewelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Tobbit and Neal Kraft met at therapy and have a plan to take revenge on Mrs. Slaymaster. He really likes Julie and when Mrs. S decides to move, he decided to steal Peale in order to stop Julie from moving away. A search begins! Great book!!!
rebekah
Feb 14, 2009 rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always had a deep and abiding love of M.E. Kerr. Her best book(for me) was her memoirs Me Me Me Me Me. She is such a bomb YA author, even though I doubt any teens know who Carson McCullers is...I still adore her style.
Jennie
Oct 02, 2010 Jennie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. I thought it would be better than it was.
Sharlyn Paulino
Jan 21, 2009 Sharlyn Paulino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q2
i really liked this book a lot because it had a lot of mystery to it an i liked how it didnt tell what was going to happen right away and it left me wanting to read more and more after each page.
Talia Castro
oh my God! :/ well what can i say of this book? E.C. and julie would have been a great couple! :(
Tracy
Oct 14, 2015 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Haunting, strange, no real resolution. The man with the scythe will come for us all.
MountainLaurel
MountainLaurel rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2008
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2007
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2010
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2013
Debi
Debi rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2010
Bess
Bess rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Jin Yi
Jin Yi rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2008
Cathy Howland
Cathy Howland rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Kristeen
Kristeen rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Libraryjoy
Libraryjoy rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Bec
Bec rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
M. E. Kerr was born Marijane Meaker in Auburn, New York. Her interest in writing began with her father, who loved to read, and her mother, who loved to tell stories of neighborhood gossip. Unable to find an agent to represent her work, Meaker became her own agent, and wrote articles and books under a series of pseudonyms: Vin Packer, Ann Aldrich, Laura Winston, M. E. Kerr, and Mary James. As M. E. ...more
More about M.E. Kerr...