Start by marking “The Property of a Lady” as Want to Read:
The Property of a Lady

The Property of a Lady

The magnificent Ivanoff emerald: It surfaced at  Christie's at Geneva, "The Property of a  Lady"--a lady now sought by powerful men intent on  seizing a legacy that could tilt the world balance of  power . . .

The terrifying Ivanoff secret: She  lived like a pauper with a royal ransom in gems,  determined to carry her secret to the grave . . .  until an act of love and a p
Published January 1st 1991 by Delta (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Property of a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Property of a Lady

Dav'ne  Stahley
Jul 28, 2015 Dav'ne Stahley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't often give a five star rating, but this book is truly worth it. Adler does an amazing job of going from past to present and place to place! I so enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I've read (or tried to read) some authors that attempt what I call time and space narrative and it's very hard to pull off without confusion and, on my part, irritation. Brava Elizabeth Adler!

To get to the plot and characters. Well, I was totally surprised by the revelation of "the lady" and that was v
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the midst of the Russian revolution, a very rich prince and his family were targets of the revolutionaries. The prince and princess were killed and the rest of the family were presumed dead. However, they have survived and the granddaughter of Prince Ivanoff has sold an emerald that could only be one of the Ivanoff jewels. The KGB, the CIA and one other mysterious player are hot on the trail of this granddaughter, believing she will lead them to the Ivanoff billions that are in a Swiss bank, ...more
Kat Karpenko
Mar 11, 2017 Kat Karpenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic romance: intrigue, gems, unclaimed treasures, movie stars and millionaires. Adler skillfully weaves a story through time and love interests with a bounty of interesting characters. I was caught up in it all. But don't put it down or you will lose the thread of the story. Lots of plot to keep you intrigued.
Martha
The Property of a Lady by Elizabeth Adler is a novel about the international intrigue that results when a jewel that once belonged to Russian royalty and has long been considered lost is sold anonymously at a Christie’s auction. The search for the seller of "the property of a lady" moves from Geneva, Switzerland, to Russia, Germany, the United States, Turkey, and even Bangkok, Thailand. The history of the jewel is told mainly through a series of flashbacks which go back even before the Russian r ...more
Nora Moushtaha
Oct 21, 2013 Nora Moushtaha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hesitated alot before reading this book; but once I started I fell in love I could have given it 5 stars but the ending was rushed and I really didnt like it (spoiler). she was insinuating the relation between genie and valentine as a romantic one then she goes and kills him I mean she would have thought of a better ending. the whole book was written im amazing details that made you really feel the anguish and pain that the characters felt but, the ending just didnt sit right with me. That Ale ...more
Elizabeth Fiorito
Mar 31, 2015 Elizabeth Fiorito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has stayed with me for more than 15 years. Read it as a teenager and was hooked from the beginning. In the grand tradition of Mitchner, Cauldwell this is a sweeping epic that spans multiple generations and takes us through most of the notable moments of the early 20th Century through the eyes of a Russian emigree of the Romonav aristocracy. Sure, we get a lot of "flashing eyes" and "seal brown hair" descriptions but what a tale! There were some rather bizarre and uncomfortable plot twi ...more
PAOLA
Dec 01, 2016 PAOLA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me forever to finish this book. In the beginning it was pretty boring, I never really got caught up in the story. Later on it does get better, but for me it was a little too late. There are too many characters, so sometimes you may get a bit confused, especially if you take too long to read it. Good enough read, nevertheless I wouldn't recommend it so much.
Emma Lucia Jimenez
Es bastante interesante, se divide en dos partes, la primera con una descripción impecable y exquisitamente narrada. Sin embargo la segunda parte "bastante atropellada" se pierde la linea narrativa y los sucesos están contados abruptamente. Pero es una lectura bastante entretenida y una historia muy interesante.
Kay-jean
Mar 06, 2013 Kay-jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay book, not as good as others I have read by this author, but engaging and a good read. I need to get on here sooner when I Finish a book...I have read 2 others since March 17th, in addition to massive preschool readings of Grimm, Mother Goose, Hans Christian Anderson, and all the Dr Seuss books in March to celebrate his birthday.
Idgy
Feb 27, 2010 Idgy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have re-read this book several times; it is a wonderful story. I have enjoyed some of Adler's other novels, although not so much the more recent ones; but for me this one was her best. Very compelling stuff.
Таня Гонзлэз Зэнтэно
I do tot usually give 5 stars, but this history is just amazing.
I expected many things that happened here, but the author has that incredible touch to transform everything.
Thanks to Adler for this touching history.
Jeanie
Jul 03, 2013 Jeanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elizabeth_adler
Really good until the last 10 pages. Seemed like Adler either ran out of steam or someone gave her a deadline so she just finished it to be done with it. But the first 440 pages were true Adler style.
Angel Rayos
Aug 13, 2011 Angel Rayos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!
Gayle
Feb 15, 2009 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book I couldn't put it down, I am always looking for another book that compares, I read along time ago
Whimsical
Aug 05, 2011 Whimsical rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Many faceted-- good read!
Jan 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seemed like an interesting plot but it was SLOW. Good character development but everything always worked out too well - rags went to riches about four separate times!
May Ellen
Excellent
Karen
Nov 05, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pass-on
Whatever happened to a priceless piece of the Romanov treasures?
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Cristian Tomescu
Cristian Tomescu rated it liked it
May 17, 2017
Jena
Jena rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Teresa Macor
Teresa Macor rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Karyn Moskowitz
Karyn Moskowitz rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2017
Tamara Jones
Tamara Jones rated it liked it
May 11, 2017
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Mayela
Mayela rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
  • Angel Light
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Wine & Roses
  • Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered  (Could It Be Magic #1)
  • Day of Reckoning (Cascades Concealed #2)
  • Confessions of a Bombshell Bandit
  • Beware Of The Stranger (New York, Americana, #32)
  • The Ghost of Squire House
  • Two L
  • Gordon Ramsay's Secrets
  • Wanted: One Special Kiss (Starlight Trilogy, #2)
  • The Gifts of Christmas (Sommerville, #6.5)
  • A Bit of Rough
  • Laying His Claim (The Protectors, #23) (Silhouette Desire, No. 1598)
  • The Promise of Rain
  • Julie Garwood CD Collection: Killjoy, Murder List, and Slow Burn
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
203833
Born in Yorkshire, North England, Elizabeth Adler met her husband Richard (an American) while both were working in London. They have lived in England, Ireland, France, Brazil, and the United States and have traveled extensively. They have one daughter and live in Palm Springs, California. Her first novel, Private Desires (also titled Leonie), launched an enormously successful writing career, she a ...more
More about Elizabeth Adler...