East End Tales (Quick Reads)

East End Tales (Quick Reads)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Gilda O'Neill was born in London's East End. Her nan had a pie and mash shop and her grandfather was a tug skipper. You might think Gilda's childhood was one of pub knees-ups and legendary criminals - but that is just half the story.

Inside East End Tales, Gilda reveals what the true East End was like - not the place of myth and legend. Stories of hardship and upheaval rub...more
Published 2008 by Penguin (first published November 5th 2002)

Kathryn
The author has combined her own memories with those of other people who lived in the same area of London in the 1950s. I loved that the memories told in the book are about lives of ordinary people, and it really made me think about how much things have changed, and what we take for granted these days.
The book was really interesting and fun to read, also because the book is less than 100 pages long, I read it in one sitting. Reading this book reminded me of listening to my grandparents telling m...more
Nicki
I did enjoy this short audiobook from the library. It was very interesting to hear memories of the East End from a local lady and other contributors. I think it would be fascinating listening for school children as it's a lost part of London and indeed Britain.
Hannah Harvey
I enjoyed this book a lot. It gave a short but detailed look at the east end of London in the 50's, and also snapshots of tales from other eras as well.
I read it in one sitting and am glad I did. The story reads well and I enjoyed getting not only Gilda's story, but also little snippets of other peoples lives as well.
It's a great read that I would recommend.
Wilde Sky
Anecdotes from a by gone era. Didn't appeal to me, but worth giving to relatively young people (twenty-five or below) so that can read about how people use to live.
Esmeralda
O'Neil put together her own anecdotes along with other former East Enders to portray her neighborhood in a nostalgic manner.
Stella
Excellent little social history of the East End of London through interviews and O'Neill's family memories.
Tracey
ok - nice easy read
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
K M
K M marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Sabks
Sabks marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
ANGELA
ANGELA marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
My East End: A History Of Cockney London The Good Old Days: Crime, Murder and Mayhem in Victorian London Our Street The Sins Of Their Fathers Make Us Traitors