Start by marking “The Bridesmaid / To Fear A Painted Devil” as Want to Read:
The Bridesmaid / To Fear A Painted Devil

The Bridesmaid / To Fear A Painted Devil

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Philip Wardman, an ordinary young man, sports one eccentricity: a neurotic fear of violence and death. Like Ferdinand, he likes to smell the flowers, particularly those in his mother's garden, where stands a statue of the goddess Flora, who over time has come to represent all the female virtues.

Imagine Philip's consternation when, at his sister's wedding, he encounters a

To ask other readers questions about The Bridesmaid / To Fear A Painted Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridesmaid / To Fear A Painted Devil

Barnaby
This review is only for To Fear A Painted Devil (I haven't yet read The Bridesmaid).

Not the strongest of Rendell's novels, though it was only her second attempt, so this must be taken into account. The plot - about a death of a man following a dinner party and an attack of wasps - reminded me of the more set-piece driven Agatha Christie novels. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still not as deep and intelligent as Rendell's best. However, the novel does provide an intriguing insight into the poli
Redfox5
I've finished The Bridesmaid and I didn't enjoy it all that much. The book feels dated. It's like a hundred pages in before it even gets to what the book is about. I hated Senta. She was a total nutcase. Philp was so pathetic. He was sooo in love with her after what, two days? I'd have been out of there after she attacked me. And why did she get so upset when he didn't belive that she died her hair? Even tho it was a stupid thing to question since no one's hair is silver. I found myself getting ...more
Slow and predictable.
Gunjan
Gunjan added it
Aparna
Aparna added it
Jun 06, 2015
Aya
Aya marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Melissa A. Kane
Melissa A. Kane marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Emmah
Emmah marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Adders
Adders marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Swarna
Swarna added it
Sep 06, 2013
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Steve Wales
Steve Wales marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Shar
Shar marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Sammy Keyes
Sammy Keyes marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2011
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2011
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, was an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)