Start by marking “The Twilight Watch (Watch, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Twilight Watch (Watch, #3)

The Twilight Watch (Дозоры #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  14,449 Ratings  ·  456 Reviews
Walking the streets of Moscow, indistinguishable from the rest of its population, are the Others. Possessors of supernatural powers and capable of entering the Twilight, a shadowy world that exists in parallel to our own, each owes allegiance either to the Dark or the Light. Night Watch Agent Anton Gorodetsky's holiday is abruptly shortened when an urgent call from Gesar - ...more
Published June 5th 2008 (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Twilight Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twilight Watch

Chris
Jan 04, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, wizardry

I really wanted to finish this before 2008 ended, but travel, a hectic schedule and a new mini-PC conspired against me. Ah well, such is life.

This world is one that is riddled with possibilities. Even though Lukyanenko has been pretty single-minded in his themes throughout the trilogy, there's a lot to work with here. We have two distinct groups of Others, the Light and the Dark, with different character classes, powers, abilities, levels and ambitions. If anyone wanted to write fan fiction or e
Kaya
Jan 17, 2015 Kaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, it's 3.5 stars.

“We are our own gods and our own demons.”

Decreasing quality of plot, no character development, no any development. Basically, nothing changed since the first book. It's like Day Watch and Twilight Watch are only plot fillers. At least we find out more about the purpose of Inquisition. Also, the ending saved the book. That plot twist with Anton and Kostya was excellent.

“This was how you wound up in the Inquisition. When you stopped being able to see any difference be
Wushi
Mar 30, 2009 Wushi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories are all told from Anton's perspective. A good decision to return to a voice the author clearly sympathizes with.

This book picks up a few years after the events of Day Watch, with Anton having married and had a child in the intervening time. His child is fated to become the greatest magic user in centuries, something this story only addresses on the side.

Act one follows Anton as he tries to track down someone who was promised to be made an Other. It is presumed to be impossible, and
Rusalka
I wasn't going to review this book. Mainly because due to the author's vocal opinions on the Ukraine conflict, he has firmly cemented himself onto my "Halfback Flankers" shelf. However, due to some some occurrences in this book that makes me bristle now just thinking about it, consider this a public service announcement.

1. A man's job is to protect and provide for the woman. A woman's job is to protect and provide for the child. This also means that the man may not be able to have a relationship
Seth
Sep 11, 2007 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
Whereas the earlier books dwelled on the ethics of the Others' use of their power, the final book in the trilogy focuses more on the larger ethical issues of the mere existence of Others and the power they have. The lower Dark Ones--vampires and werewolves--draw their power directly from victims; where do higher Others get their power? What separates Others from humans and can one be converted into another?

The protagonist--actually, the hero--Anton ponders these questions in the context of his g
Katy
Jun 03, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please note: Read and reviewed in 2007.

My Synopsis: This follow-up to the (also amazing) Russian magical reality books Night Watch and Day Watch returns us to Anton's mind and to Anton's relationships with those around him. Focusing on interactions with the mysterious Inquisitors, this book takes Anton further along in his path to understanding that there really is very little difference between Light and Dark and that the shades of Grey they all walk in are probably more suited to all Others th
Steve
Nov 17, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Called Dusk Watch in Russian, Luyanenko firmly establishes himself as leading Russian voice in the fantasy genre.

In this novel, he ties narratives through his unfolding universe of the Light and Dark in a brilliant interplay of motives and game-ending moves that quicken the pace and leave you thrilled

The nice thing is that each of the books so far could have closed out the series. This one goes deeper by exploring existentialism and meaning among the Day Watch and Night Watch.

Nobody's Time
A my
Nousha
Oct 18, 2011 Nousha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Не мога да не дам 5 звезди на книга, в която го има толкова търсеното от мен - очарованието на фантастиката от времето, когато откривах този жанр - хората, фантастиката на хората, моралът на хората, дилемите на хората, естетиката и етиката, чувствата и разума на настоящето и бъдещето, пътищата пред човека - далеч не на ниво технология, а на ниво именно човек. И това наистина вълнува, а книга, която те замисля и развълнува, е истински добра книга.
Shawne
Dec 30, 2008 Shawne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, fans of Lukyanenko's Night Watch universe
Shelves: fiction
I would imagine that, at some point, Lukyanenko's brilliant fantasy series would hit a road bump or two; how many home runs can he hit before the series fizzles out? Surely at some point one of the books is going to be a disappointment?

Fortunately, Twilight Watch isn't that book. In fact, it's the best so far - again expanding the scope of Lukyanenko's ridiculously textured, intelligent universe, so that it encompasses historical narrative and social discourse in a far more direct fashion than
Ryan Mishap
Oct 05, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I love these books!
In modern Moscow, age old beings called Others still exist. The Light and the Dark Ones called a truce hundreds of years ago and are governed by that treaty. The Nightwatch is the Light Ones’ police force to keep the Dark in Line. The Daywatch is their counterpart. There may be a truce, but the schemes, manipulations, and plans are always in motion.
Anton, a third level magician on his first field operation when Nightwatch begins, is one of my favorite characters in fiction.
Phleghm
Oct 03, 2011 Phleghm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witty
Sometimes it takes a book of fiction to teach us about real life.

IF there was a way to give it 4 and a 1/2 stars I would.

To me, definitely the best book of the series! Majestic! haha. But, it has a few story loopholes or well, at least shortcomings, which started annoying me after I finished the book and thought about it.

I won`t go into those details, because really, they don`t matter all that much.

There is a very good social model and theory behind it all. I felt like I learned a lot from the b
Amy
Jan 16, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upping the ante yet again, Lukyanenko meditates on the meaning of communism (equality for all) and of freedom. The title of the book refers to the Inquisition, which is a governing body over both the Night and Day Watches. The philosophizing in these books, which concern the dependent aspects of "good" and "evil," is always thought-provoking. And the character of Anton feels like an old friend. The Twilight is always an interesting universe to visit!
Lori
Aug 20, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of this great series. In the first few pages I wasn't sure if Anton would continue to repeat his moral dilemma (what is dark? what is light?) from book 2, but things progess. An interesting perk for American readers is an inside perspective of the post Soviet Russia.
Karine
This continuation of the Night Watch series combines mystery with an exploration of the differences between humans and Others. It's a wonderful follow-up to the prior books, but would be incomprehensible if you haven't read them.
Seph
Feb 15, 2013 Seph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sergei Lukyanenko's "Watch" hexology is a sleek urban-fantasy that simultaneously interweaves threats of an apocalyptic caliber with complex philosophical musings on human nature, to create an artful exploration of the relationship between good and evil, as witnessed through the eyes of a protagonist with an ever-changing scale of morality. All six volumes in the series have been beautifully translated from their native Russian into English by Andrew Bromfield.

Volume 3, Twilight Watch: focuses p
Eric
Apr 14, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
This book was fan-freakin-tastic!!! While I consider the second book to be filler for this one, it was much needed to bring out such awesome character development and huge twists this book had. It's interesting seeing how world politics played a part in Lukyanenko's writing of this book, and easy to see what side of the planet he's on. He doesn't drive his opinions too much either, mercifully. I just love how he calls Coca-Cola "foreign poison." Haha!
This book had an agenda though. Lukyanenko wr
Dale
Jan 25, 2008 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dusk Watch (or Twilight Watch, as my copy was titled ... dang translations ...) was every bit as good the other Watch books. By this third volume the series has definitely settled into a very clear pattern. Each book is divided into three sections, each of which is a complete story in and of itself but which also sets up elements which pay off subsequently. Still, even knowing that, and reading the first section carefully to try to pick up clues as to how the last section would unfold, I was sti ...more
Sam
Dec 04, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, fantasy
Once again this holds three character connected stories following primarily the Night Watch's Anton as he first investigates the accusations that an Other has revealed all to a human and that they have offered to make the human an Other, a feat considered impossible by many. Here the Night Watch, Day Watch and Inquisition have to work together to protect their worlds from the human world with tense results dripping with doubt, distrust and conspiracy. The remaining two stories finds Anton and hi ...more
Simon
Nov 19, 2008 Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third part of Lukyanenko's Night Watch Trilogy set in the supernatural underworld of post Soviet Russia and I was quite pleased to be back with the first person narrative of Anton Gorodetsky after the brief excussion into the world of the Day watch in Book two.

I will keep this brief as I don't want to spoil the fun of any potential readers. Once again the book is made up of three parts. In part one Anton investigates the occupants of a half abandoned luxury apartment block looking fo
Φλεγύας
Dec 10, 2011 Φλεγύας rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who is into urban fantasy
This is my favourite book out of the four that make up the series. New characters are introduced into the story, older characters are brought back from the first book, the events of the second book have set interesting predicaments and conditions and Lukyanenko's writing takes all these to the next level, in a book that remains true to his previous style, yet, it explores new foundations as characters develop beyond the levels/stages we got to know them in the previous books.
Without giving out a
Stephanie Swint
Jan 16, 2014 Stephanie Swint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series has been enjoyable since the beginning but Twilight Watch delves deeper into what real differences there are between the Day Watch and the Night Watch. It explores the true reasons as to why they exist, and with this knowledge how it effects Anton and Svetlana's family. A little bit of knowledge can turn a persons world upside down. This was written very well and my favorite of the series.

The book is divided into three stories as is the case with both Day Watch and Night Watch. The s
Stan Heller
Feb 07, 2008 Stan Heller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did read the two previous books- Nightwatch and Daywatch. Both were quite enjoyable. The Russian sensibility gives the books a rich flavor that takes familiar characters and themes in unexpected directions.

The flavor of all three books is that of chess games played by old masters. Like Russian nesting dolls, one story fits inside another. Dark and Light magicians vie for a change in the balance of power- each seeking to provoke the other into breaking an age old truce.

All three books follow
Paulius
3/5. Trečia truputį geresnė už antrąją. Ko gero Antonas ištraukė. Tačiau eilinė problema su autoriaus rašybos stiliumi. Vėl ir vėl tas nepamatuojamas pūtimasis dėl pergalės. Kur bepasisuks knygos veiksmas, visur pergalės veteranai, pergalės prisiminimai, pergalės jausmas. Rimtai. Neįmanoma skaityt. Ir dar gėrimas. Autorius puikiai apibūdina šiuolaikinę Rusiją. Prisiminimai apie pergalingą karą ir besaikis gėrimas. Aj… ir sovietų sąjunga, kaip gi be jos. Vien už tai minus balų galima prirašyt. Ga ...more
Rasmus Skovdal
As was the case with the previous two books, the writing is probably quite decent, but I feel that there are translation issues.

The basic, overarching plot hasn't really changed, and the use of song lyrics is still cringe worthy, but it's different enough from a lot of (western) fantasy that it works quite well.

Heavily focused on Anton, which is mostly a good thing. Characters in this series tend to change, rather than grow, which is fine. Even suitable, for many of them.

The political allegory i
William Clemens
Aug 29, 2010 William Clemens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first two books, I loved this one.

Anton Gorodetsky really comes into his own as a character here. A supernatural Columbo, bumbling through the mysteries and intrigues, trying to puzzle things out, going down the wrong paths, but always finding his way to the solution in the nick of time and making everything right.

The plot, divided into stories as always, focuses on the possibility of human beings turning into Others and the impact this would have on the battle between the watches. W
Conor Olmstead
Once again Sergei Lukyanenko did a great job with his Night Watch Series. I haven't touched his series since back in September, because I knew I would blow through this book and sure enough I did. I wanted to hold off till I knew his final book would be released soon so I could read it and then go right to the last one.

I don't why I like his writing style so much but I really do. He does a great job of painting good visuals so I can easily see whats happening.

Storywise I liked it. The direction
Nuno Vargas
The third chapter in the series, this is probably the book I liked the least (although still enjoyable!). I think this has to do with nailing down some of my problems with the magic system, and also some small plot holes. The story itself is engaging and it continues directly from the previous books, with a couple of new characters showing up to get the action going. The focus is back on Anton, both in the action and in his thoughts as he continues to struggle to make sense of where the Others, ...more
Jeff Miller
Jun 17, 2011 Jeff Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd book in the series is just as excellent as the first book. Instead of the shifting character views of the 2nd novel, this time Anton Gorodetsky is back as the main character with the story unfolding around him and his wife. A nicely complex plot with plenty of surprises which agains consists of three main stories that build upon each other.

Have been really enjoying this series and moving onto the fourth and last book.
Άννα
Jan 24, 2017 Άννα rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Πολύ ωραίο βιβλίο, το καλύτερο της σειράς (The Night Watch), μέχρι τώρα (δεν έχω διαβάσει τα δύο τελευταία). Χιούμορ, φαντασία, έξυπνη πλοκή, πολλή μαγεία. Ο Λουκυανένκο έχει ωριμάσει αρκετά σε αυτό το βιβλίο, έχει κάνει ένα μεγάλο βήμα μπροστά. Και το γούσταρε πολύ όταν το έγραφε, έτσι φαίνεται. Εγώ, πάντως, το χάρηκα πολύ όταν το διάβαζα. Ωραίοι χαρακτήρες, ενδιαφέροντες (και ένας αξιαγάπητος, ο Λας) και το κλασικό θέμα “δεν υπάρχει άσπρο και μαύρο”, πολύ ωραίο δοσμένο.
Allison Wonderland
Feb 05, 2009 Allison Wonderland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A thrilling addition to the Night Watch series. I will admit that it took me a little while to get fully engrossed in this book, but when I did I absolutely could not put it down. The switch back to Anton Gorodetsky as the narrator was a big help in holding my interest - the Day Watch members were interesting to read about, but the character of Anton is one of the most engaging in the series. The continuation of his story was very satisfying.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Duplicate 5 34 Aug 17, 2015 01:25PM
  • Temná hlídka (Hlídka)
  • Noční klub II
  • Лабиринт Мёнина (Лабиринты Ехо, #8)
  • Да пробудиш драконче
  • Семь подземных королей (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #3)
  • Lilith (Uralte Metropole, #2)
  • Странствия мага. Том 2 (Хранитель Мечей, #2.2)
  • Понедельник начинается в субботу. Сказка о Тройке (2 экз.)
  • Право на поединок (Волкодав, #2)
  • Die Ordensburg (Elfenritter, #1)
  • Drsný spasitel
  • Wunschkrieg (Die Sturmkönige, #2)
Сергей Лукьяненко
Sergej Lukianenko (German)
Szergej Lukjanyenko (Hungarian)
Sergey Lukyanenko
Sergej Luk'janenko (Italian)
Сергей Лукяненко (Bulgarian)
Siergiej Łukanienko
Sergei Lukjanenko

Sergei Lukyanenko (as his name appears on books and films in U.S. markets) is a science-fiction and fantasy author, writing in Russian, and is arguably the most popular contemporary Russian sci-fi writer. His works o
More about Sergei Lukyanenko...

Дозоры (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Night Watch (Watch #1)
  • Day Watch (Watch #2)
  • The Last Watch (Watch #4)
  • New Watch (Night Watch #5)
  • Школьный Надзор
  • Печать Сумрака
  • Участковый
  • Шестой Дозор (Дозоры, #6)
  • Мифы мегаполиса
  • Борода из ваты

“That's the hardest thing of all--never to become cynical, never to lose faith, never to become indifferent.” 29 likes
“We are our own gods and our own demons” 21 likes