Start by marking “Stone Field, True Arrow: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Stone Field, True Arrow: A Novel

Stone Field, True Arrow: A Novel

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In her debut novel for adults, Kyoko Mori has drawn on ancient myths, reworked with her hallmark lyrical prose, to probe the eternal question: Given the fragility of life, is love too great a risk?

Maya Ishida is no stranger to sorrow. Torn from her artist father and native Japan as a child, raised by her cold, ambitious mother in Minneapolis, she has finally put together a
Published September 8th 2001 by Picador (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Field, True Arrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Field, True Arrow

C.A.
I picked up Kyoko Mori when I was still in junior high, I think, and read Shizuko's Daughter. Looking back, it's a novel that's very much remained with me (I still remember the parts about the pottery and the drawings of the kimonos, and the flowers at the mountain retreat). Years later, I picked up Stone Field, True Arrow at the King's English and bought it.

It's not a perfect novel, but Mori has some sense of truth in all her writing-- reading reviews, some people categorize her as bitter, but
Rachel
The was a very evocative novel. The main character is emotionally stunted due to her absent father and emotionally abusive and narcissistic mother. I thought the author explained how an artist might think and found that very appealing. The relationships, however were very dysfunctional uncommunicative with each other. Yet I wound up caring about the people. I would read another book by this author.
Amanda Patterson
Stone Field, True Arrow will appeal to anyone who has ever felt like an outsider. Maya has to leave her beloved father in Japan. She begins a new life with her emotionally abusive mother in America. Maya is culturally confused and her life is punctuated by the inability to form close emotional bonds. Maya meets Eric, and falls in love. She is forced to confront the truth about her childhood. She is transformed by the healing power of love. But Maya’s cool detachment remains. Maybe this was meant ...more
Deborah Robson
Well crafted, but I may be the wrong demographic to really appreciate this novel. I'm significantly older than the main characters. I finished reading because it was artfully and carefully written. I did get tired of the number of characters who could not communicate clearly and honestly with each other, for whatever excellent reasons. The exceptions--those who were honest with each other--kept me going, although the texture and structure of the book were a good deal more complex than the charac ...more
Pamela
Endings are so hard to write. This one doesn't quite not the mark (for me).
Esther
Picked it up on the free shelf--Chicago-area author, I'm guessing? She had a beautiful style, which kept me going through some depressing subject matter (divorce, dysfunctional families, artistic frustration) and painfully obvious metaphors. I jokingly referred to it as "the sensitive Japanese American woman novel", but still got quite engrossed in it. The protagonist tended to make a lot of choices I wouldn't make, and she seemed a bit crazy, but she had a right to be after all the stuff that h ...more
Katie M.
A quiet novel about a weaver in Minnesota, one of those stories where a woman builds up a safe life for herself and then comes to a crossroads where she has to decide whether to keep on keeping on or change directions, etc etc... I remember enjoying it, though there wasn't quite anything about the story for me to grasp onto and like a lot.
Molly
Years ago, Kyoko Mori taught at St Norbert's in De Pere and visited my class.

I wanted to love this book, but the dialogue felt stilted, almost as if two characters were doing the talking for everyone with a lot of superfluous additions. The plot, too, felt cobwebby--hard to grasp, strange sequence and jumps.
Pia Bergqvist
A beautifully written book, very visual, slow and sad. The slow pace is good practice for me as I tend to get impatient sometimes. I wish the characters were more developed and more three dimensional. This is a book to read for the imagery and esthetics, not for the story.
Erica
Honestly, there was a lot of potential with this book but there was something missing. I didn't like anyone and I wished the entire time that Maya would grow a backbone or at least tell someone off. I don't recommend this one at all.
Very very boring - I need to stop picking books off the shelves at the library when I don't have something on hold...it isn't working for me!
Karen
It was okay. I guess I'm just not that interested in "women's stories" anymore.
Miki
Aug 07, 2009 Miki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: asian
Like all other Kyoko Mori books, I loved it!
Daisy
Didn't get very far before I gave up.
Bea
Sad, with great imagery.
Amy
Quiet, sad, lovely.
Johann
Johann added it
Apr 27, 2015
Diane
Diane is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2015
Marita
Marita added it
Feb 13, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Husetimidten
Husetimidten marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Brian Allen
Brian Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kyoko Mori was born in Kobe, Japan, in 1957. As a young girl, she learned numerous ways to be creative, including drawing, sewing, and writing, from her mother and her mother's family. From those family members, Mori says, "I came to understand the magic of transformation — a limitless possibility of turning nothing into something."

Mori's life changed completely at age 12, when her mother died. He
More about Kyoko Mori...
Shizuko's Daughter Yarn: Remembering the Way Home Polite Lies: On Being a Woman Caught Between Cultures The Dream of Water: A Memoir One Bird