Start by marking “Papyrus: A Thriller” as Want to Read:
Papyrus: A Thriller

Papyrus: A Thriller

With Papyrus, John Oehler "delivers a fusion of mainstream thriller and historical fiction reminiscent of The Da Vinci Code."

Rika Teferi, a young woman who formerly led midnight raids in Eritrea’s war for independence from Ethiopia, is working on her doctorate in the Cairo museum when catastrophe strikes. An accidental tea spill damages the royal papyrus she has been stru
Published December 29th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published August 11th 2013)

A.K. Klemm
Jan 20, 2014 A.K. Klemm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve wanted to read this book since the second I saw its cover. Mainly because John Oehler wrote it and I really enjoy his writing. I read and reviewed Aphrodesia awhile back and I swear I blushed for a month, so I knew Oehler’s writing was phenomenal. Add my obsession for all things Egyptian, and I was completely sold.

Many times this level of anticipation won’t work out well for a reader. There’s too much pressure on the book. How could it possibly live up?

Papyrus took my expectations in stride
R.L.
Aug 11, 2014 R.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books set in other countries, especially countries that I find intriguing yet have no desire to visit such as Egypt. This story opens with just the right amount of description of place and time. It is set in the 1980's when technology began to speed ahead. The technology here is a plane equipped with the type of sonic radar that can see below ground.

The story opens with Riki Teferi spilling coffee on an ancient papyrus she is supposed to be examining as part of a research project in the
Jordan River
Nov 11, 2013 Jordan River rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When my time is come, you will bury me in a bath of restorative oils. It will be done while the breath of life is still in me."
- Queen Tiye’s burial instructions in Papyrus.

In Papyrus, Queen Tiye, the mother of Tutankhamun, journeys up the Nile to be buried alive in a bath of restorative oils. Later in the book there is a scene in which the modern-day explorers smell these oils.

Immersed in Papyrus I enjoyed visiting places that I have never been like Sudan, Eritrea and Egypt.

The female protagon
Elizabeth Krall
Jan 13, 2014 Elizabeth Krall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fast-paced thriller was ideal for a long flight over the Pacific. The plot had twists that kept me engaged, and the characters were well defined and believable. Rika, the Eritrean soldier-turned-scholar, is a marvellous character. I was surprised by the ending, although in retrospect it made perfect sense. Of necessity, there is a large amount of information about ancient Egypt, but to the author's credit he keeps it within the context of the story and doesn't descend into a flood of facts ...more
Meb Bryant
Jan 28, 2014 Meb Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just completed PAPYRUS by John Oehler. Wonderful read about Rika Teferi who accidentally spills tea on an 18th Dynasty papyrus written by Queen Tiye, the mother of King Tut, and discovers a hidden message. If you enjoy Egyptian antiquities, a strong female character, and a bit of sexual tension, you'll enjoy this thriller. Mr. Oehler has used his knowledge from previous work experiences to write a crisp, action-generated novel.

This novel was recommended to me by author and blogger, A. K. Klemm,
Cynthia T Cannon
Nov 17, 2016 Cynthia T Cannon rated it it was amazing
Wonderful novel of Ancient and Modern Egypt

Such a great novel. It is just fantastic. In the past I have wondered about Queen Tiye who was actually a commoner and what could have captivated Amenhotep so thoroughly as to make her his Consort since she was not part of the Royal family. Interesting slant in this novel. Great job by a fellow Houstonians.
Robin Wicker
Oct 19, 2016 Robin Wicker rated it liked it
Entertaining but hokey ending

The daring woman and the stalwart hero search for the hidden tomb of an Egyptian queen. Not badly written. Imagine a Lifetime movie produced by the Sy Fy channel.
Lesyle
Oct 20, 2016 Lesyle rated it it was amazing
The greatest historical fiction read of 2016

I love this novel, love Rika's evolution from warrior to , you have to read the book to find out what she is turned into. I think that this novel is worth a second read. Thank you for a great read. Bye. Gonna start over now!
Heathery
This was a decent book. Not amazing and not terrible. It's toted as being in the same vein as The Da Vinci Code, but I found that to be untrue. This book was much too slow to be likened to The Da Vinci Code.

In fact, I found myself skimming a lot because some parts of it were downright boring. It pains me to admit that because I hate skimming, but there it is. The parts told in ancient times (from Tiye's POV) and when they were in the tomb were, without doubt, the most interesting aspects of the
Terri Herman-Poncé
Sep 08, 2015 Terri Herman-Poncé rated it really liked it
This was a surprise-me book, and here’s why.

In the interest of full disclosure, I came very close to shutting down this book after chapter 2 because I had an issue with certain character behavior/decisions. The book sat in my reading app for a few more days after that, until I finally admitted that there was something in the writing that called to me. The fact that I adore fiction set in ancient Egypt was an even bigger draw. So I opened Papyrus once more and kept on reading…

I was glad I didn’t
Kwesi Brookins
Jul 31, 2016 Kwesi Brookins rated it it was amazing
John
Oct 13, 2014 John rated it it was ok
Finished PAPYRUS: A THRILLER ([[ASIN:1479221635 Papyrus: A Thriller]]) by John Oehler. Looking for the tomb of Queen Tiye, an 18th Dynasty ruler in Egypt, this story, this story alternates between ancient Egypt and late 20th century Egypt and Sudan. Some of the situations Rika, the heroine, and David and Blue, her supporting cast, encounter and how they are resolved sort of boggles the imagination. The same goes for the bad guys, Major Hassam and his sidekicks. Malik and Samir. The ending is ...more
Angela Pezel
Aug 28, 2016 Angela Pezel rated it liked it
Another take on the complexity of the 18th Dynasty of Egypt. This time Queen Tiye is the heroine who writes a secret on a papyrus to her youngest son the Pharaoh known to us as Tutankhamen.

In the 20th century Rika fights for the independence of her small African nation, and with the help of entrepreneur David they seek out the secret of the papyrus.

I enjoyed this book. It was a quick and easy read.
Linda Cole
Jun 06, 2015 Linda Cole rated it it was amazing
Great adventure

Started out as a simple treasure hunt and ended up being more. The characters were clear and the bad guy was human enough to see how greed and disappointment can make a killer.
Martha Formoosa
Jan 09, 2015 Martha Formoosa rated it really liked it
Learned a bit about the mother of King Tut, the era in which she lived, the pratices of Pharaos and the family dsyfunction that comes with being royalty.

The book is well written and the author did a good job moving between the present day and the time of the pharos.
Gregory S. Bates
Apr 20, 2016 Gregory S. Bates rated it it was amazing
Excellent piece of work.

How refreshing to read an unlimited book with no misspellings or grammar blunders. The storyline is believable and well thought out, not a comic meant to astound.
James Barrick
Jul 05, 2015 James Barrick rated it really liked it
Combo of Fantasy and reality

Interesting, on several levels. Justifies a lot of thought. Four, not 5, because I didn't like exactly how it ended - but that's me, and on further thought I may change that - because it's consistent with the rest of the book.
Angela Walker
Jul 17, 2016 Angela Walker rated it liked it
The story wasn't the worst I've ever read but it definitely doesn't live up to the hype and 5 star reviews. Not a thriller. It put me off from reading another book I have by this author, Aphrodesia? Looking for more of a thriller.
Greg
Feb 19, 2016 Greg rated it it was ok
Full of heart but needs some structural work

The premise of the book offers a fun"what if?" scenario.
The book does not live up the to adventure it proposes, yet is readable, but not compelling.
Tim Clark
Jun 14, 2016 Tim Clark rated it it was amazing
What fun

Anyone who loves archeological discoveries and myths will enjoy this story. It's a wonderful mixture of modern and ancient Egypt combined with an exciting race to recover glorious treasures. The ending will surprise you.
Kevin Sells
Sep 20, 2015 Kevin Sells rated it really liked it
A spellbinding.

A thrilling read that keeps moving at a fine pace. Great characters, good continuity. Well researched. Believable villains. Will definitely be reading this author again.
Karen Beg
Apr 03, 2016 Karen Beg rated it it was ok
#1 - this should not be compared to The DaVinci Code. #2 - I had a very hard time staying interested in this book. I love reading this type of book.... But this one is lacking. The characters aren't that interesting and there just seemed something off in the details of the story.
Rowan
Jun 14, 2015 Rowan rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It has well defined characters, colorful descriptions, and is full of action. The description of the tomb made me want to be there and see everything for myself. I definitely recommend this novel.
Carolyn L. Parker
Aug 01, 2016 Carolyn L. Parker rated it it was ok
This book was a struggle for me to finish. Slow beginning and the ending was not that exciting for a book listed as a "thriller".
Lynn
Mar 15, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it
This was a fast, exciting read. I like a quick action adventure. I also love Egyptology so this was particularly fascinating to me.
Harry L Skinner
Oct 08, 2015 Harry L Skinner rated it it was amazing
Great tale

Thanks to the author for sharing his story telling skills with me. Great characters and central theme. I look forward to reading more from this author.
David
Nov 13, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
An excellent read.

Great characters and plot. My first novel by this author. I will read more of his books. As the cover says, A Thriller, and a very good one at that.
Norman Bodnar
Jun 09, 2015 Norman Bodnar rated it really liked it
A unique heroine, good action and a bit of Indiana Jones. Ancient idealism, humanity and greed replayed 3,000 years later. A bit short in a few spots, but I enjoyed this one and it's characters.
Salvatore Fazio
Jan 21, 2015 Salvatore Fazio rated it liked it
not a masterpiece

the plot is so so, with many logical gaps, but entertaining enough if you are just looking for a light, not very plausible, story
Judy
Aug 05, 2015 Judy rated it liked it
Good adventure story. Kept me reading. sometimes, though, the plot went beyond believability. Lots of adventure, intrigue, and chases.
  • Tipping Point
  • Lucky Fall
  • The Hand of Christ (The Sterling Novels, #1)
  • The Renaissance: The Best One-Hour History
  • Mafalda: Las fiestas
  • Someone To Watch Over Me
  • Betrayal (Southern Belles, #2)
  • Volk's Game: A Novel
  • Sacrifice
  • Solar, Defeated (Mythos, #1; Oracle of Delphi, #2.5)
  • Blood Entangled (Blood Vine #2)
  • Temptation by Fire
  • The Kissing Season
  • Cleopatra Rules!: The Amazing Life of the Original Teen Queen
  • FAST: A Military Thriller (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • Carbide Tipped Pens: Seventeen Tales of Hard Science Fiction
  • Lions of the Grail (Richard Savage, #1)
  • Saying Goodbye to Warsaw
I began life as an exploration geologist. My work took me to about fifty countries and introduced me to cultures, people, and settings that provide inspiration for my novels. Besides challenging situations, I love science, history, the arts, and animals, all of which figure in my stories.

Since retiring from full-time geology in 2000, I have completed three novels. All have won awards.

APHRODESIA,
More about John Oehler...