Start by marking “Measle and the Wrathmonk” as Want to Read:
Measle and the Wrathmonk

Measle and the Wrathmonk (Measle Stubbs Adventures)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  686 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Colossal Adventures in a miniature world

Measle Stubbs lives with Basil Tramplebone, his dreary, horrible guardian. His life is miserable, and gets worse when Measle finds himself on the wrong end of one of Basil's evil spells. Now he's half an inch tall and trapped in a toy train set. But when Measle joins up with Basil's other victims, he becomes more than just a smelly l
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperTrophy (first published June 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Measle and the Wrathmonk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Measle and the Wrathmonk

Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderBunnicula by James HoweThe House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs
Greatest Story Time Books
8th out of 35 books — 2 voters
An Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Wolves in the Walls by Neil GaimanBecause of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamilloJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Audiobooks for Kids
45th out of 98 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Lux
Jul 22, 2012 Lux rated it it was amazing
I read all the Measle books as a child and I'd recommend them a million times over. Beautifully written with plenty unexpected twisted and great humour, your child won't be able to put these books down. Buying them again for my little niece and I suggest you buy them, too!
Joseph
May 06, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
Measle and the Wrathmonk by Ian Ogilvy was an awesome book. It had alot of adventure, and also had alot of interesting characters.

The storyline of this book was kind of confusing. This is because it was a kind of strange storyline that took a while to comprehend. I had to read the book twice to fully understand it, but after that, it was pretty fun.

I really liked the ending of this book when Measle's parents were the people that were turned to stone by Basil and placed in the town square of the
*Kayla*
It all started at the scarey black house outside of town. Where there's a dark rain cloud constantly over the house. Everything is scarey about the house. There are cocroaches all over the inside.
The describition of measle is very realistic with his hair. He waits for his Gurdian, Basil to leave. And goes up stairs to play with his train set. Basil finds out.

There's a kid named Measle,
and he lives with his legal gurdian, Basil.
The whole house is black, and there's always a rain cloud over the ho
Sharono
Nov 16, 2008 Sharono rated it it was amazing
Plenty of action to keep the interest for the most reluctant readers but still smart and twisted enough for sophisticated kids. Frightening premise : Basil Tramplebone (Wrathmonk = evil, insane wizard) is the guardian of a child, Measle, who has to figure out how to survive under his twisted "care", and, many times, how to escape his wrath. I'd recommend for 4th - 6th grade, but it depends on the kid.
Andrew
Jul 13, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Either grade school children, or someone who wants a cute story.
Recommended to Andrew by: No one.
This was a book i picked up in a thrift store. The first of, I believe, 4 or 5. Very hard to get your hands on these babies, I reckon, because I've read things online where fans are disheartened that they can only find the first three books in Australia. Ian Ogilvy, I have found, used to be an actor in the late 60s to late 70s and starred in several movies before deciding to become an author.
By the cover, i'm sure you can surmise that this is not even close to Teen Fiction. It's considered a Chi
Parker.706
Throughout the hole book I've been thinking what would I do in this situation because there are so many kid like scenerios like when he blushes when someone says thank you or when looks out the window and lowers his head so just his eye is peeking over the side.

One place I really cant stop thinking about is when measle is jumping from the different peices of wood going along the train tracks and he trips and falls on the jagged rubble and I could not stop thinking about how I felt imagining that
Max705
Jun 01, 2010 Max705 rated it really liked it
Max Leu 705 hw reading response reading with lens of kindness/love on Measle and the wrathmonk

I really think that people that are never shown kindness and love are the saddest people ever. in the book Measle never even got a "thank you" when he worked for Basil, but when the people he saved said "thank you" he felt like that was a gift.

today, most people get the kindness they deserve, but the people who don't become very sad people. It's surprising what a small "thank you" can do for someone. i
Mayra Martinez
Oct 22, 2009 Mayra Martinez rated it really liked it
In this exciting story of Measle Stubbs, Measle lives with his legal guardian, Basil Tramplebone, who he soon finds out is a wrathmonk. He lives a dull life without having to take baths, haircuts, or having an education. Since he finds out his guardian has a train set up in the attic he goes up one day without permission and gets punished very badly. He sees that everything starts growing around him and finds himself being half an inch tall. He saves the other people on the set as well before th ...more
Daniel Padulo
Jan 24, 2011 Daniel Padulo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
measle and the wrath monk by Ian Ogilvy is an exquisit fantacy about a young boy living with a horrifying baby sitter Basil,after his parents mysterious death. Basil prized a ceartain train set and wouldnt let Measle go near it. However, when Measle does play with Basil's train set and Basil finds out, havic steps in. There are many good parts to this book that make it uniqe and give you emotion. such as when Ian Ogilvy describes how Measle's daily life style is around that vile house. The way h ...more
Miguelcaravera
Mar 28, 2015 Miguelcaravera rated it really liked it
Lo leí de niño, me encantó aunque si lo leyese ahora seguramente no me gustaría tanto. Me lo regalo mi madre y encendió mi pasión por la lectura. No deja de ser un simple cuento infantil pero seguramente mi cuento favorito.
Carrson
May 06, 2016 Carrson rated it liked it
Ryan Neary
Nov 12, 2015 Ryan Neary rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because I thought it was interesting how the train set characters came alive. I also liked how they thought out a way to rebel against wrathmonk.
Kristina
Feb 02, 2010 Kristina rated it really liked it
William
Jun 11, 2012 William rated it really liked it
I thought that Measle and the Wrathmonk was an amazing book. It was nothing too difficult but all at the same time, it wasn't something that was too easy. Overall, I say that Ian Ogilvy did an excellent job on writing a story that wasn't too serious, but all at the same time it was also a story with really deep themes. In this book, the reader follows the journeys of Measle Stubbs who gets "played" with by his legal guardian, literally, as he gets shrunk and put into a toy train set. The plot wa ...more
Darla
Jun 07, 2011 Darla rated it liked it
Reading this with my 10 year old in the evenings....And now we have finished it!
(Genre:children's fiction/fantasy) 3.5 stars for this fun adventure (written for 8-12 year olds). This is the story of a young boy who lives a miserable existence. His guardian (Basil Tramplebone) is unkind and abusive. When Measle tricks Basil into leaving the house so that he can play with Basil's massive model train set, he unwittingly unmasks the true identity of his guardian. Basil is a powerful "wrathmonk" and
Curtis Harrington
Jun 17, 2015 Curtis Harrington rated it it was amazing
great book, i read it when i was round 10 and loved it
Linda Amos
Mar 24, 2015 Linda Amos rated it really liked it
Excellent adventure on the dark side for younger readers.
Jess
Oct 22, 2008 Jess rated it liked it
Recommended to Jess by: Fantasy In the House annotation project
Sneaking into the attic to play with his evil guardian’s massive train set seemed like a good idea to Measle Stubbs until he was caught and shrunk down to half an inch. He’ll have to be brave or the imprisonment may be permanent.

Measel’s got a melodramatically bad life and a dumb name. The book isn’t strict with rules of magic and most things (including character background and development) are only there for plot. The ending is convenient but I’ve no ill will towards it. I do think plenty of ki
Heather
I listened to the audiobook and quite enjoyed the story. The narrator does a great job with the voices. (However, the high, slightly growly voice of the bad guy sometimes sounded exactly like Winnie the Pooh. And that was slightly hilarious, because Pooh would never be a villain. But whenever that growl got to just the right point, my brain would chime in with "muddled" or "think, think.") Cameo by Winnie the Pooh aside, it is a really entertaining book, and I have already checked out the sequel ...more
Avery Follett
Apr 23, 2016 Avery Follett rated it really liked it
Read this book over and over as a child. Loved the little trip through time, reading it again!
Doris
Feb 15, 2012 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cute story about a young boy (Measle) trapped in a big, gloomy, dreary house with his nasty guardian Basil leads us down a path towards a heartwarming ending. It is somewhat predictable, but even at the end there were a couple of surprises, and I enjoyed it.

Measle is half an inch tall and trapped by himself in a train town in his guardian's attic, chased by a giant bloodthirsty bat. He has to survive, and he has to get out - and his efforts to do so will surprise and please.
Hcf
Oct 15, 2007 Hcf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alreadyread
Measle and the Wrathmonk is the first in a series of three. They are all good books and are mostly about magic and sorcery. Great for fantasy lovers. Measle is a small boy who has lots of adventures with his odious gaurdian while trying to find his long lost parents. Measle,although he doesn't have magic of his own, has to deal with a lot of vile magic. Great series.
mandyfujita
Nov 15, 2011 mandyfujita rated it really liked it
enjoyable book about a very smart boy named measle stubbs. he is under the "care" of a basil tramplebone. the living conditions are horrible and this poor boy does not know any better. his parents were killed by a deadly snake and basil is some kind of distant relative. turns out that basil is a wrathmonk, which is a kind of wizard. the story centers around an elaborate train set that is set up in the attic. wonderful adventure for young and old.
Deanna
May 21, 2016 Deanna rated it really liked it
What I loved most about this book is that the whole time I was reading it I could actually see the movie for it in my head. This would be an amazing kids movie. Sort of Spiderwick Chronicles or Series of Unfortunate Events like. I just hope if they make this into a movie that they don't destroy the plot. It is a very good plot already. It is about a 4th grade reading level I think so I got through it quickly. It was definitely a fun "day read".
Mitch
Sep 19, 2012 Mitch rated it liked it
The first chapter of this was full of promise for something interesting and out of the ordinary.

Then things turned rather conventional, with the victim child turning out to be incredibly brave and resourceful and saving everyone.

Predictably, he is reunited with his (supposedly dead)parents as well.

As adventure fantasy goes, it succeeds at its level very well, I'd say. But I can't say it was all that memorable overall.
Carmen Li
Jun 10, 2012 Carmen Li rated it it was amazing
The plot in this book is really good and the characters are really desciptive. It talks about the hardship of a young boy whose parent's died and a complete stranger takes charge of him just for the inheritance. But this book teaches us that good things will eventually come to those that wait. I will definately reccommend this book to anybody becasue it is a fun and interesting book for readers of all ages.
Dorian
Feb 18, 2016 Dorian rated it really liked it
Read this one with my students. They loved it! Lots of cliffhangers too, which is great when only reading little bits every day.
Martha
Feb 28, 2011 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was brilliant! It comes with intricate and enthralling illustrations (which much remind me of Tim Burton's style) on the side.
The plot line is great and I immediately became interested in Measles upbringing and questioned in my head where his parents were.
I will most definitely be reading this book again as I enjoyed it so much and if I do it will be the...third time round!
David
Jan 19, 2009 David rated it liked it
Measle, a young orphan, lives with his dark and spooky guardian, Basil. As expected, Basil mistreats Measle and doesn't deserve to be the guardian. In addition to the harsh treatment, Measle must live in a gloomy house with a dark cloud always hovering over it.

One day, Measle discovers Basil's secret and it automatically puts his life into danger. Will measle survive Basil?
  • Timothy and the Dragon's Gate (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #2)
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman, #4)
  • Charis: Journey to Pandora's Jar
  • The Monster Garden
  • Kimonos
  • Rex Zero and the End of the World
  • The President's Daughter
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
  • A Dignity of Dragons
  • Freckleface Strawberry: Best Friends Forever
  • Maddy Kettle: The Adventure of the Thimblewitch
  • The Bone Magician (Tales From The Sinister City, #2)
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5)
  • Limelight Larry
  • A Soldier's Secret: The Incredible True Story of Sarah Edmonds, Civil War Hero
  • Stonebird
  • Pure Dead Frozen (Pure Dead #6)
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)

Measle Stubbs Adventures (5 books)
  • Measle and the Dragodon