Chicken Every Sunday: My Life with Mother's Boarders

Chicken Every Sunday: My Life with Mother's Boarders

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Published 1943 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Every Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Every Sunday

Dee Anne
I really enjoyed this book. It is full of wonderful character sketches. I find it interesting that the characters of some of the boarders are better developed than those of the children. Mother of course is my favorite. She made me start thinking of all the ways to earn a little extra money. I think my favorite chapter was the one that talked about the secret to successful boarding. I think it is so true of anyone. I think we all know of homes we are welcome in and those we are not. I could have...more
Linda
A witty autobiography/memoir written in 1945 by a woman who grew up in her mother's rooming house in Tucson Arizona during the days when the 'desert cure' was prescribed by illnesses right and left. The family itself is zany and quirky, the boarders add another element of wackiness that make this family's life seem like one big circus and picnic.
The children can't imagine life without boarders while the hard-working mother is always hoping that someday her ne'er do well husband will finally pu...more
Lbaker
A book I have picked up and read more than once, first when I was a child and more than once as an adult. The boarders in this book are a great variety and are looked at from the child's point of view. It is interesting reading about the mother, she is a superhero. The straightforward manner in which the mother looks after her family, fighting against all adversity, especially her spouse is inspirational.
Karen
I found this book delightful. It reminded me of all that I loved about Cheaper by the Dozen...it's quick and witty character development and turn of the century narrative style had me from page 1. I can't say that I wish I had her life, but I will admit to wishing mine were as colorful! (And okay, I suppose I do wish I were a little more like Rosemary's mother...what a lady!)
Kelli
I really liked this book I thought it had some good humor in it. I enjoyed the meaning behind it and the service it taught of. I think that this will be a book that I may read again someday. I really liked some of the advise that it gave, I used some of it. The one about the onion works pretty well. If you can remember it. I don't want to give it away at all. I thought it funny how the mom would put her boarders before her children in that they would sleep on the porch. That is all I am going to...more
Daphne Chennault
This is a peach of a book, and is an excellent bit of Americana as well. It is one of my favorite nonfiction books.

The author's parents were settlers in Arizona in the early 1900s. Her father was a wheeler-dealer who was fond of speculating with his money. So, to provide for her family, the mother began takin in boarders. From that point on, the fun began. From Jeffrey the poet who had teeth like Bugs Bunny, to tramps who marked the house with a hobo marker which read, "Good cook lives here!"

Th...more
Paula Shulse
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! It was so refreshing to read a book about such an interesting time in the southwest. I wish this were available on Kindle. I think it would be great for it to be available to a wider audience.
Kate
Another book from my aunt's library. I learned so much history from reading all those books from t he 40's, in a way a history book could never convey. Life in turn of the century and later Tuscon. Miss Taylor's mother ran a boarding house, but really, all the boarders became members of the family. Great read.
Karen
I read this book last year and picked it up again. Thoroughly enjoyable story, told well. There is nothing better than a first hand account of history and everyday social commentary from another time. Beats someone writing about how they think it was way back when based on research every time. I would think it would be a popular book out in Arizona since it covers an early period in Arizona history.
Roberta
This was different from what I expected after reading the first few lines. I thought it would be funnier. I was enthralled that a book published in 1943 would start out talking so frankly about pre-marital sex.
It was the story of all the boarders Rosemary's mother took in over the years and all the business "mis"adventures her father had.
Lesa
This was a hilarious book. The stories were just fun. I found myself laughing out loud. The mother was a very smart woman who found clever ways to make money to support her family. The boarders were also very fun and entertaining. This boarding house is a place that I really would have liked to stay at.
Nancy
Was suprised to see such an old book listed on goodreads. Read this book in the late 90's after finding it in some old family books. It is a glimps into a time gone by and I enjoyed it very much. I think it's worth a reread.
Lydia Gleaves
Absolutely amazing. I've read it a hundred times over, and I still love it. I don't know what the appeal is- it seems, at first glance, vaguely interesting at best, but it is definitely a favorite of mine.
Danielle
One of those books with a plain, drab cover (the copy I read at least) that somehow draws you to it knowing it'll be a good book. Found it on my mother-in-law's shelf. An easy, fun read.
Caron
Other reviewers have already told you about this book, which I borrowed from a friend of mine. It's a great read, perfect for the summertime. It's easy, enjoyable and fun.
Phyllis
Given to me by my late grandmother in 1981 (which was given to her by her sister in 1945). I read this book over and over as a child. I will cherish this book forever.
Heidi
I don't think I could be anything like the mother in this book. I do wish I could have some of her mexican food though.
Clare
Little vignettes portraying the life of a family whose mother ran a boarding house out west.
Ardith
Glad I read it. Still reminds me of "Cheaper By the Dozen".
Edie
This is one of the few books I have read more than once!
Janice
It's been so long ago but I remember I liked it.
Jenn
Fun,cute book!
Samantha Glasser
Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Tim Smerken
Tim Smerken marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Vittoria
Vittoria marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Kristina Riederer
Kristina Riederer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bar Nothing Ranch In Letters Of Gold: The Story Of Sylvia Pankhurst And The East London Federation Of The Suffragettes In Bow Ridin' the rainbow: Father's life in Tucson Harem Scare'm Walks Through History (Walks Through History S.)