Start by marking “The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman: I” as Want to Read:
The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman: I

The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman: I

Sewn hardback, printed and bound by Antony Rowe. Jacket by Steven Stapleton.
Co-produced with Durtro. 500 copies printed.
(Out of print).

Contents:
-a quote from Stenbock
-Robert Aickman: An Appreciation, by David Tibet
-An Essay by Robert Aickman
-Remembering Robert, by Ramsey Campbell

-The Trains/ The Insufficient Answer/ The View/ The School Friend/ Ringing the Changes/ Choice
Hardcover, 1st edition, 399 pages
Published November 1999 by Tartarus Press

mark monday
We Are for the Dark: Six Ghost Stories by Robert Aickman and Elizabeth Jane Howard.

review is for the 3 Robert Aickman stories in that collection. apparently Elizabeth Jane Howard had some slippery business with Aickman. I wish I had the actual book so I could have read her stories as well. alas!

fortunately his stories are in this excellent Tartarus Press omnibus, which also includes 3 interesting nonfiction pieces by Ramsey Campbell, David Tibet, and Aickman himself.

We Are for the Dark: Six Ghost Stories

3 unusual domiciles of unce
Mike Lester
Jun 15, 2011 Mike Lester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Okay Okay, along with Lolita and The Great Shadow, THESE two volumes of Aickman's complete stories are my favorites. The books I'd run into a burning house for. The books I'd crawl across a football field of broken glass on my knees to read. Aickman's stories are so deceptively ambiguous, so carefully structured that repeated readings are required. He is, in my opinion, the equal of Borges. I recommend the stories "Bind Your Hair," "Ravissante," "The School Friend," and "My Poor Friend" from ...more
Maartje Bronkhorst
I must admit I don't understand the amount of raving reviews of Robert Aickman's short stories. Though I am an avid reader, and definitely not afraid of difficult writing styles, most of Aickman's stories seem completely pointless to me. One can only digest so much symbolism, and even then, i.m.o. it needs to serve some purpose, and not being a purpose in itself. The stories remind me of David Lynch movies.
If you want to read Aickman, this review on Amazon might prove really helpful. It tells y
Aric
Jun 25, 2011 Aric rated it it was amazing
Robert Aickman is my absolute favorite author. His stories are surreal, haunting, psychological, dangerous, magical and well written. This is the first volume of a two volume set which made the task of collecting his work much easier and cheaper than it would have been otherwise. Tartarus Press does a service by reprinting his work.
Christopher Marshall
Apr 22, 2015 Christopher Marshall marked it as to-read
"Bind Your Hair," "Ravissante," "The School Friend," and "My Poor Friend" from Vol.
The Hospice, The View, Into the Wood and The Stains
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Simon
Simon rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2008
David Rix
David Rix rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Andrew Male
Andrew Male rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Lucyfishwife
Lucyfishwife rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Brendan Moody
Brendan Moody rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2011
Bill Barnett
Bill Barnett rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Bill Barnett
Bill Barnett rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Mattie
Mattie rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
RB
RB rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Kyran
Kyran rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2012
Adam Hughes
Adam Hughes rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Thogdin Ripley
Thogdin Ripley rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Marni
Marni rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Andrew  noyes
Andrew noyes rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
Jim Williamson
Jim Williamson rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Anne Billson
Anne Billson rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Olya
Olya rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
Claus
Claus rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
John Brownlee
John Brownlee rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Steve Duffy
Steve Duffy rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2009
  • The Lost Stradivarius
  • Hill of Dreams
  • Cold to the Touch
  • The Oval Lady, Other Stories: Six Surreal Stories
  • The Weird Tale: Arthur Machen, Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James, Ambrose Bierce, H.P. Lovecraft
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Nine Hundred Grandmothers
  • Rupetta
  • Locos: A Comedy of Gestures
  • In a Foreign Town, in a Foreign Land
Author of: close to 50 "strange stories" in the weird-tale and ghost-story traditions, two novels (The Late Breakfasters and The Model), two volumes of memoir (The Attempted Rescue and The River Runs Uphill), and two books on the canals of England (Know Your Waterways and The Story of Our Inland Waterways).

Co-founder and longtime president of the Inland Waterways Association, an organization that
More about Robert Aickman...

“The great prophetic work of the modern world is Goethe’s Faust, so little appreciated among the Anglo-Saxons. Mephistopheles offers Faust unlimited knowledge and unlimited power in exchange for his soul. Modern man has accepted that bargain. . . .

I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand. Faust’s error was an aspiration to understand, and therefore master, things which, by God or by nature, are set beyond the human compass. He could only achieve this at the cost of making the achievement pointless. Once again, it is exactly what modern man has done.”
5 likes