Start by marking “Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror” as Want to Read:
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,751 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here

Uncle Montague lives alone in a big house and his regular visits from his nephew give him the opportunity to relive some of the most frightening stories he knows. But as the stories unfold, a newer and more surprising narrative emerges, one that is perhaps the most frightening of all.
Published September 1st 2008 by Bloomsbury (first published 2007)

Melki
Young Edgar grows increasingly unnerved as his strange Uncle Montague spins tale after haunting tale. The hour grows late in that dark and eerie house. There are noises - creaks, groans, someone dragging something across the floor in the room upstairs... Is it Franz, the mysterious butler whom Edgar has never seen, or something much more sinister?

Do not be lulled into complacency by the almost whimsical Edward Gorey-like illustrations. The stories in this book are genuinely creepy. Children feat
Blair
I've read Chris Priestley's 'Tales of Terror' series in a strange order which has meant I've come to this, the first one published, last. I also liked it the most. The formula used in the other volumes, with a central narrative tying all the other tales together, is at its best here. Naive young Edgar goes to visit his ancient Uncle Montague to listen to his macabre stories, each of which seems to be linked to an object in the room where they sit. Though he feigns bravado, Edgar grows increasing ...more
Amy
Jun 11, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scary story lovers, people who like The Series of Unfortunate Events, older YA audience
I picked this book up from the library on an excursion to find something different. And I definitely found it in this book. I have always been a fan of things that touch on the darker side of things, but not going too far into it. I like my horror, don't get me wrong, but I also like the books that give you that little knot in your stomach without making you freak out every time the house settles or your dog barks.

That being said, I am an adult... the stories in here were written to frighten chi
Seydaghan
Feb 03, 2016 Seydaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror turned out to be a good choice to read for my 2nd Annual October Scare Fest. It's a creepy and unsettling book that features a story within a story narrative.

Uncle Montague tells his young nephew (more like great, great nephew) chilling tales based on knick-knacks and artwork the old gentleman has in his creepy house. These stories are short and edgy, with endings that are quite disturbing (for a children's book). In short, horrible things happen to some of these
Megan
Throughout this book, I kept trying to decide whether or not I would have liked it when I was a kid. Like most kids I liked spooky stories. I always had a Goosebumps stuck in my backpack. I would sit in my best friend's room and we'd dare each other to open Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark to a random page and see how long we could last before being too freaked out by the illustrations to continue. (Seriously, just looking through Google Images for pictures like this one and this one is kind of ...more
Burçak Kılıç
Jul 06, 2016 Burçak Kılıç rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
içinde Urfa da geçen cinli hikaye bile vardı :)) ben sevdim yaa sıkmayan eğlenceli bir kitap :))
Jonathan Stroud
Superbly chilling ghost stories to scare young and old. JS
Courtney Johnston
Gothic tales about naughty kids, with a little twist in the tale, probably perfect for 8-12 year-old readers.

As a kid - and yes, still, more recently - I loved Rudyard Kipling's* 'Puck of Pook's Hill' and 'Rewards and Fairies'. Both are collections of stories about English (and pre-English) history - ranging from folk to historical tales - connected together through the figures of Dan and Una, who one day accidentally summon Puck (yep, Shakespeare's one) who becomes their guide through these tim
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

Uncle Montague is a bachelor who lives alone in a house that is packed with artifacts and collectibles. Edward loves to walk through the woods and visit Uncle Montague to hear his spine-tingling stories. Uncle Montague is reminded of each story as he picks up an artifact that is associated with it in his memory.

Edward's imagination is sent into a tailspin when he begins to wonder how Uncle Montague knows all of these frightening stories, and a darker
logankstewart
Christopher Priestley's Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror is the kind of book that begs to be read aloud, with a British accent, and in the dark of night sitting next to a roaring fire while an unnatural storm brews outside. This book is an anthology of ghost stories and cautionary tales, all told by the mysterious Uncle Montague to a rather dimwitted nephew, Edgar. Most leave you with a crooked smile after finishing.

Uncle Montague's home is filled with odd collectibles. An old brass telescope. A
Hilary
imagine a cross between M R James and Edward Gorey, in particular 'The Gashlycrumb Tinies', and you pretty much have this book spread out in a nutshell. Solitary Edgar is in the habit, during the school holidays, of visiting his Uncle Montague, an equally solitary soul whose house (or at any rate the study, the only room Edgar has ever been in, save the lavatory) is filled with curios, each of which has a story behind it. A ghastly, creepy story which inevitably ends in the grisly death of its j ...more
Jamie Arthur
Jul 10, 2015 Jamie Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok korkunç olmasa da akıcı bir kitaptı. 4 yıldız verip vermemekte kararsızdım ama sonu sayesinde verdim. Montegue Amca'nın hikayesi beklenmedikti çünkü. Diğer hikayeler de fena değildi.
Mila
Jul 31, 2015 Mila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's exactly the type of book I love. It's that fascinating creepiness that made me love this book, even though my main reason for reading it were David Roberts' drawings. I loved them with Philip Ardaghs books but in this creepy fashion they are even better. The whole harmony of the stories and the art was amazing and it is 100% enjoyable and recommendable. Loved it!
Ken
Apr 17, 2014 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar listens to the dark-themed stories told by his Uncle Montague about the collection of items that have, over a lifetime collecting, filled his study. Eventually, Uncle Montague ties all of the stories into his own dark, chilling past.

5 STARS
Neide Parafitas
Mar 06, 2013 Neide Parafitas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, leituras-2013
Sabem aquelas histórias de terror que todos nós ouvíamos quando crianças?? Pois bem, foi o que me fez recordar este livro.. :)

Adorei!!

Quero ler mais livros deste autor :)
Raquel Leite
Aug 19, 2012 Raquel Leite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ste livro conta-nos a história de um rapaz chamado Edgar, que durante as férias escolares, ficava em casa dos seus pais que lhe ficavam indiferentes, por isso vai muitas vezes a casa do seu tio Montague.
O Tio Montague é um mistério, toda a sua casa é um mistério, e Edgar não sabe muito acerca dele, só que conta histórias assustadoras que inventa ou que lhe são contadas dos objectos da sua casa, da sua sala e que Edgar vê por todo o lado, embora só conheça um quarto da casa escura.
As histórias sã
Birgit
Aug 21, 2011 Birgit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edgar loves listening to good stories and his uncle Montague loves to tell stories. So the boy will visit him in his old mansion to learn more about all the knickknacks his uncle has accumulated over the years.
Being the first part of a series of books by Chris Priestley, this is actually intended for young readers, but I enjoyed the stories regardless the fact that I'm by no means young anymore. The narrative is both captivating and intricately written, and the authors love for storytelling def
Jane
May 05, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book as I am a fan of David Roberts' illustrations. They suit Chris Priestley's creepy book very well. It is a series of short scary stories tied together neatly by an equally unnerving narrative thread.
I had only one niggle with the book, just one word in fact that put me off! 'The sound of slow and heavy footprints could be heard in the corridor outside the bedroom door.' Do footprints make a sound? Shouldn't it be 'footsteps'?
Anyway, apart from that tiny glitch I thought it was
Angeliki
Apr 07, 2016 Angeliki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readathon-2016, 2016
This book in not for the fainthearted. I loved those cautionery tales for the irony and the twists that leave you with a creepy-crawly sensation. My favorites are "Jinn", "The Gilt Frame" and of course the fabulous story of Uncle Montague.
Kerstin Stutzke
May 08, 2016 Kerstin Stutzke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der kleine Edgar besucht ein Internat, sodass er keine Freunde unter den Dorfkindern hat, die allesamt in dieselbe Schule gehen. Doch das macht Edgar nicht viel aus, denn eigentlich kann er nicht viel mit anderen Kindern anfangen - er tickt irgendwie anders. Am liebsten besucht seinen Ur-Großonkel Montague, denn dieser versteht es wie kein anderer, Geschichten zu erzählen, die einen das Fürchten lehren.

Onkel Montague ist schon sehr alt und auch irgendwie merkwürdig, denn er verweigert sich vollk
Ángel G.
Mar 24, 2016 Ángel G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It was on my to-read list for a while and I'm glad I finally did it, it has this creepy, dark theme that I love on books, Edgar was such a good character, I find myself in him, I love the ending, it was the perfect ending for this story, even if I didn't see it coming.
Ladywolf.
Feb 13, 2016 Ladywolf. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devo ammetterlo; definirlo un libro per ragazzi mi fa un po’ strano ahahah
Alcune storie sono così ben pensate che fanno venire i brividi. Mi chiedo poi se il caro zietto Montague è così disperato da non pensare alle conseguenze psicologiche che questi racconti hanno sul povero Edgar (che sia Edgar Allan Poe?). Che un po’ mi fa pena a dire il vero XD
La storia che mi ha scosso di più credo sia stata “la scultura del demone”, ma anche “la cornice dorata” e altre non erano male.
Tra alti e bassi è un
Unauthorized Cinnamon McCann
It says "8 and up," but this is a great book for any fan of weird fiction. Surely the titular uncle is named for M.R. James, and the scary stories are in that tradition. They all feature less-than-good children, and a comeuppance. The frame tale is my favorite part - Edgar and his uncle huddled by the fire in the study of the spooky old empty (?) house, with mists pressing on the windows and all manner of artifacts that inspire the stories.

The illustrations are clearly influenced by Edward Gorey
Tabby
Oct 30, 2015 Tabby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, e-book
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

I was looking for a spooky story for Halloween

What I thought

Like I said I was looking for a spooky story for Halloween and came across this. It had some creepy parts but wasn't really scary.Though i'm not saying the stories weren't enjoyable. My favorites will have to be The Gilt Frame and A Ghost story. These two stories were the most interesting in my opinion . With that said I'm looking forward in reading the other books in the Tales of Terror series. Overall an enjoya
JK
Feb 26, 2015 JK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, a children's horror novel has drawn me in and terrified me out of my wits. A disclaimer on the back advises: This is a seriously scary book - younger readers be warned! How young are we talking, here? Seriously? I am twenty-five years old and would never dream of allowing anyone of a nervous disposition to read this book, never mind a child! The stories are paralysing.

Priestley is an excellent writer. Uncle Montague's stories crop up each time his nephew, Edgar, notices a new object
Nely
Oct 21, 2009 Nely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Young Edgar loves visiting his eccentric, Great-Great Uncle Montague even if it means going though the spooky woods to get there. For Uncle Montague is a very talented storyteller and has a story to tell about all the creepy odds and ends he has lying around his study.

I loved the goosebumpy feeling I had the whole time I read this book. The fact that each tale’s main character was a child made it even more spooky for me. I loved the gothicy feel each tale had and although the stories were short
Gecko
Edgar besucht seinen Onkel Montague, der gerne Geschichten erzählt. Er wohnt in einem Haus, versteckt in einem Wald und bei einer Tasse Tee erzählt der alte Herr dem Jungen unglaubliche Geschichten über Kinder und unheimliche Ereignisse.

„Tales of Terror“ fast den Inhalt ziemlich gut zusammen, denn es sind Geschichten des Grauens, die der alte Onkel hier dem jungen Edgar erzählt. Geschichten in denen Kindern unglaubliches zustößt... aber Edgar, gewitzt und skeptisch, glaubt natürlich kein Wort da
Heartykisses
Aug 04, 2012 Heartykisses rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beschreibung:
Edgar ist gern bei seinem Onkel Montague. Wenn er bei ihm zu Besuch ist, erzählt ihn jener immer Geschichten. Edgars Elten jedoch finden, dass er ein komischer Kauz ist. Das Haus des Onkels befindet sich auf einem kleinen Hügel und einem von Mauern umgebenen Garten. Edgar kostete es jedes mal eine gewisse Überwindung zum Haus seines Onkels zu gelangen. Für ihn ist es so, als gäbe es hier nicht eine lebende Seele. Höchstens ein paar Kinder, die ab und an auftauchen. Als Edgar eines A
Verity Brown
May 17, 2013 Verity Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Lemony Snickett/Series of Unfortunate Events
I really wanted to give this five stars, but.... What is it sometimes about an otherwise really AWESOME book that makes the flaws stand out so much more starkly?

The good:
The stories told by Edgar's uncle are delightfully creepy, in the vein of Edward Gory and Lemony Snickett. Imagine The Gashlycrumb Tinies expanded to novel length. Imagine the more obscure stories of the Brothers Grimm, but set in the 19th and 20th centuries. This is good stuff, if you like that kind of thing. And I do.

The bad:
  • Half-Minute Horrors
  • Horowitz Horror: Stories You'll Wish You Never Read
  • The Thornthwaite Inheritance
  • Haunted Legends
  • The Toymaker
  • Dancing Jax (Dancing Jax #1)
  • Florence & Giles
  • Isis
  • The Small Hand: A Ghost Story
  • Late Victorian Gothic Tales
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • The Haunted Looking Glass
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, #1)
  • The Long Weekend
  • Death Watch (The Undertaken, #1)
  • The Snow Merchant
  • The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories
  • The Elementals
519134
His father was in the army and so he moved around a lot as a child and lived in Wales. He was an avid reader of American comics as a child, and when he was eight or nine, and living in Gibraltar, he won a prize in a newspaper story-writing competition. He decided then “that my ambition was to write and illustrate my own book”.
He spent his teens in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before moving to Manchester,
More about Chris Priestley...

Tales of Terror (5 books)
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)

“From the plough to paper, from the wheel to house, from tool handles to sailing ships. Man would have been nothing without trees.” 8 likes
“Give me a funeral over a wedding any day,.' said Uncle Montague with a sigh. 'The conversation is almost always superior.” 6 likes