Start by marking “Land Of Echoes” as Want to Read:
Land Of Echoes

Land Of Echoes (Cree Black #2)

When Tommy Keeday, a talented student at a boarding school for gifted Navajo teens, is suddenly seized by a bizarre and violent illness, his family believes he is possessed by the hostile spirit of a dead ancestor. In desperation, principal Julieta McCarthy calls on Seattle-based parapsychologist Cree Black for help.

Is Tommy Keeday just a sensitive teenager, or is he suffe

Published 2004 by Pocket books

To ask other readers questions about Land Of Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land Of Echoes

Rain
Jan 10, 2016 Rain rated it really liked it
"...My mother says if you haven't got regrets you haven't lived right. - Cree (Lucretia Black)"

This is what I realized after finishing this novel, this is the second book of Cree Black's adventure which I shouldn't have read before reading the prequel. Although, it might have been a whole different story from the first but, personally, I would prefer reading it by sequence.
Land of Echoes is a visually satisfying and suspense grabbing novel that will glue your eyes on each and every page.
The
Kathy
Sep 22, 2008 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
The first book in this series was promising, especially the way the author drew me into the setting of the story (New Orleans in that case). I was looking forward to this second book because it takes place in the Four Corners region of the Southwest, a landscape I know better and like a lot. But I almost gave up on it in the first half, which involves some long narratives setting up the back story on each character. The info was necessary to the plot but I wish it had been delivered in a better ...more
Terri Epp
I am still in the process of reading this book but will finish it in the next day or so. It is based on a character named Cree Black, who is a renowned psychologist who owns a company that deals in parapsychology which is part of Cree's speciality.

Cree is asked to assist a boy who is showing signs of "possession" at a school for gifted Navajo students. The principal of the school feels she has a connecttion to this boy which brings up her past.

The sub plot involves a mining company. Julieta, the
John
Aug 21, 2007 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
Setting = excellent: I've never been to the area, but felt as thought I'd been raised there - the imagery is that vivid!

Plot = good: Kind of a combined rating ... the mystery/occult angle was done well, but Julietta's love life was as painful as a Harlequin much of the time. Cree's thoughts veered that way at times, but were largely kept in check so as not to detract from the main story.

Characters = fair: Cree was her usual self, as was Joyce (whose nasal NY accent is a hoot on audio). Edgar wa
Emma
Aug 27, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredibly gripping and slightly horrifying book. It is a mystery of the paranormal. THe "detective" is someone who works with ghosts. Odd I know. Not usually my thing. But it takes place on the Navaho Indian Reservation, and the story is deep, complex and riveting. The ghost part is very low key and almost beliveable which makes it more scary. Do not read this book before you go to bed. Do not read this book if you live in New Mexico. Reminds me of a camping trip we took when I was ...more
Teri
Feb 03, 2015 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Cree Black novel. I especially enjoyed this one as it was located at an American Indian School so you not only had supernatural forces, but American Indian legends at work as well. I have purchased all of Daniel Hecht's novels. He is an excellent writer and I cannot believe I didn't discover him before.
April Schmidt
Oct 25, 2010 April Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creeepy....Love the New Mexico setting. Something about the Southwest that's so mystical and mysterious. Very well written and descriptive, you feel as if you are right there in the mists of the Navajo land. Perfect read for this time of year!
Laurie
Feb 17, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of Hecht's titles are enjoyable, especially Skull Session and Land of Echoes.
Sonya L Moore
Jun 26, 2017 Sonya L Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been excited about novels that deal with parapsychology, but have enjoyed my jaunt into the Cree Black stories written by Daniel Hecht.
From Amazon:
"Parapsychologist Cree Black is called to a New Mexico school for gifted Navajo teens to investigate the mysterious symptoms of a student. Sixteen-year-old Tommy Keeday is wracked nightly with violent convulsions. Is the boy possessed by the spirit of an ancestor, as his family believes? Or is something even more sinister going on?

A Book
Lhizz Browne
Mar 02, 2011 Lhizz Browne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: permanent
Another wonderful installment in the Cree Black series, and I think I liked this even more than the first. This one was less about Cree and her struggle to deal with the death of her husband, although I think she's slowly coming to terms with his loss, her interaction with the spirit world and her own self more. She acts as a white spectator of the world of the Diné/Navajo people, and Hecht's description of modern reservation life comes across as very realistic. He shows a people creating their ...more
Theresa
Jul 17, 2009 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to-it
A good book to listen to. This is the second of the "Cree Black Series." Cree is a parapsychologist who deals in hauntings and supernatural occurences, a "ghostbuster" you could say. This adventure was about a young Navaho boy possessed by a spirit. Reading (listening to) this book gave me many insights into Native American culture and life. The role of the healer is not that much different than the role of a psychologist. It is also interesting because at the same time I was listening to this n ...more
Beverly
Mar 17, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally loved Daniel Hecht's Skull Session and I couldn't wait to pick up this book. I did not realize it was 2nd in the series of Cree Black but I did not feel left out by not reading the 1st book first. Cree Black is a parapsychologist who is roped into taking on a case when she feels she is not ready. But she is drawn to Tommy Keeday, a student at a Reservation Boarding School, when she first meets him. He has been afflicted by either some strange psychologist illness or possessed by a ghos ...more
Penny Ramirez
I'm liking this series. It's much more slowly-paced, less frenetic, than most of the supernatural stuff I read, so even though it's paranormal, I feel it's a different take on the subject. Hecht writes very atmospheric, haunting (ha ha) prose. I really felt that I was in New Mexico with this book.

Cree's ability to empathize so fully with her clients draws her into peril - sometimes quite dangerous both to her and the people around her. I liked this ghost story / possession story and how it was w
Nancy
Apr 22, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Cree Black series and it was just as good as the first. This story takes place in New Mexico, near the Arizona border where there is a large Navajo reservation. After living in NM for over 20 years, this book took me back to the land of sunshine, mountains, and never-ending vistas. I always enjoy reading a story that has been set in an area I'm familiar with. Mr. Hecht did an excellent job of describing the area, the people, their customs, and their circumstances. The super-na ...more
Kirsten
This is the second Cree Black mystery. Cree, a parapsychologist, is investigating the possible possession of Tommy Keeday, a Navajo teenager, in New Mexico. Before she can help Tommy, however, Cree must unravel several mysteries and discover the true intentions of the people surrounding Tommy.

This is a good mystery; there's a lot of red herrings, and Hecht makes Cree's psychic talents unpredictable enough that they don't become an easy out. There's a good balance between supernatural elements an
SouthWestZippy
Jan 15, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Taken from the back of the book. " When Tommy Keeday, a talented student at a boarding school for gifted Navajo teens, is suddenly seized by a bizarre and violent illness, his family believes he is possessed by the hostile spirit of a dead ancestor. In desperation, principal Julieta McCarty calls on paranormal investigator Cree Black for help."

This is book two in the Cree Black series. Writing is better but still lacks a a even flow. To much detail in some places and not enough in others. Story
Connie D
Jan 26, 2016 Connie D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating account of Cree Black, parapsychologist, assisting in a potential "possession" of a student in a boarding school in New Mexico. I loved the slowly layered details of each character's personality and history, and the mysteries unraveling. Descriptions of action, place and feeling were all so vivid; sometimes too creepy.

There are times that there was a little too much time spent trying to legitimize Cree's vocation...it didn't take long to suspend disbelief and wasn't needed. On the ot
Cheryl
Nov 10, 2008 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am into mysteries lately, and this was a paranormal one set in New Mexico and I liked it. The descriptions of the landscape were very cool, and I can relate to the feeling that there is something special and holy about the desert in the Southwest. The heroine was a paranormal pyschologist and related to her clients and ghost by empathy and taking on some of their characteristics and pain to help dispel the ghost or haunting. This book was different, an easy read but with some meat, not all flu ...more
Donna Radcliff
Much easier read than City of Masks, the story hooked me within a couple of pages. I still glaze over when the techie part of paranormal research is covered, but there is not as much as with the first book. Set in the southwesst, Cree Black takes the case of trying to save a 15-year-old Indian boy who appears to be possessed. I had figured out most of the plot about a third in, but all the clues were there, it wasn't like Hecht was trying to completely fool the reader. Maybe not as overtly scary ...more
Jenny Massey
Mar 20, 2010 Jenny Massey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded from Audible.

I like this series a lot and its always got some good twists and thoughts regarding ghosts, hauntings and paranormal stuff. But I really like this one because you feel like you are getting a lesson in Native American beliefs without it being condescending or naive. It isn't the whole part of the book, but when it is, it is done well. I especially like the ending as it brought the hero (Cree)to a place where she realized she has so much to learn and that she isn't alone.
Jenn Kurrie
Jun 13, 2016 Jenn Kurrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#35/2016 ... Cree Black Novel #2 and this one was also very interesting as it took on a case involving Native American traditions and beliefs within the context of a baffling medical problem. Our heroine is again tested - and really put through the ringer - and I didn't get the twist again! As with the other Cree Black novel, I did find it long at times but enjoyed it overall and learned many things about the culture and traditions of several tribes that I did not know before. And I tried not to ...more
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
I really liked this book. I'm so glad she's trying to move on with her life after her husband's death. I was so worried it was going to turn into one of those series where the main character does nothing but pine for their dead love. I really liked the info and insight into Navajo culture. I normally have things figured out long before the author brings it to a conclusion. But I have to say that it didn't occur to me who the ghost was and why they haunted the boy until just before the author mad ...more
Heather
Jan 06, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
I was hoping this might hit the spot as I'm missing Tony Hillerman after his passing in 2008. It was a good story, but went on too long. The characters were well-developed, but we heard a little too much of their inner dialogue. There were too many possibilities for who or what might be haunting the teenage Navajo boy who is at the center of the story.

On the other hand, I liked the way the author approached the subject of ghosts and how he evoked the geography of the Southwest.
Sandy D.
A good mystery & ghost story. I almost didn't take it from the New Books shelf at the library, because it sounded a bit flakey and new agey on the dust jacket, but it was a fun, fast read.

A psychologist specializing in the supernatural goes to the Navajo reservation to investigate a teenager who appears to be possessed. Lots of interesting stuff about Navajo beliefs (a la Tony Hillerman), the history of the area (boo for Kit Carson), and some interesting characters.
Kat Rocha
The overall story was good.. but it is becoming clear that the rest of Cree's "team" isn't needed and they are more of a boat anchor to the plot than anything. The ending also felt rushed, like the author suddenly realized he had a lot of loose ends he needed to tie up because he had finished the story. Basically, bad mystery writing. But, the main plot was enjoyable and if he had just stuck to that I would be giving this a five.
Theresa Abney
Mar 06, 2013 Theresa Abney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Having enjoyed the first Cree Black novel so much, I was hugely disappointed with its follow-up, Land of Echoes. Frankly, it was just boring. The characters were over the top sentimental and the descriptions of the "science" of emanations ('cause this is serious, so we can't call them ghosts) completely detracted from what little momentum the plot had managed to build. I don't even think I'm going to bother with the third installment.
Kris
Jan 30, 2008 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about a young Navahoo boy who is posessed by a diplaced spirit. A parapsychologist is called in to help him. The problem is determining who the spirit is so they can connect with it and assist it into the next world.
Very well written. Not so scary that I couldn't sleep at night, either.
Linda Dale
Jan 19, 2008 Linda Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My goodness; I seem to be on a supernatural binge lately. This book was quite good of kind, the story of strange goings on in a boarding school for gifted Navajo children. Enjoyable characters, and excellent sense of place. This is the first of Hecht's books I've read; I'll probably pick up some more. Note: I read this via the audio version.
arjuna
Oct 18, 2011 arjuna rated it liked it
Interesting on a Hillerman kind of level, nicely plotted, prose unremarkable but still a well-told, well-paced story (even if you can see the set-pieces coming). Credibly unsettling; am definitely going to chase up the other Cree Black stories as the parapsychology premise seems well thought out and interesting.
Jenna
May 21, 2016 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2016 Book 28: So good!!! More from the psychotherapist-for-ghosts series. Adding in the mysticism of desert Southwest and Navajo cultures. There was some imagery that resulted in a few nights with the lights on but it served its purpose. Only one more to go in this series. I will be bummed to bid these characters and concepts farewell.
Can someone just tell me how it ends? 1 7 May 30, 2011 08:06PM
  • Rolling in the Deep (Hawaiian Heroes Book 2)
  • Enchantment's Reach
  • Murder in the 11th House (Starlight Detective Agency #1)
  • Finding Home
  • Rainsong
  • Summer of the Dragon
  • The House in Amalfi
  • Rock with Wings (Leaphorn  & Chee, #20)
  • The Brothers of Baker Street (Baker Street Letters, #2)
  • Port of Paradise
  • Forever His (Stolen Brides, #1)
  • Fangs Out (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #2)
  • Smile at Fear: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Discovering Your Radiant Self-Confidence
  • Malice Prepense (Barbara Holloway #3)
  • Dogs Don't Lie (Pru Marlowe, #1)
  • On the Rocks (Turtle Island, #3)
  • The Dangers of Proximal Alphabets

Cree Black (3 books)
  • City of Masks (Cree Black, #1)
  • Bones of the Barbary Coast (Cree Black, #3)