Start by marking “Land Of Echoes” as Want to Read:
Land Of Echoes

Land Of Echoes (Cree Black #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  74 reviews
When Tommy Keeday, a talented student at a boarding school for gifted Navajo teens, is suddenly seized by a bizarre and violent illness, his family believes he is possessed by the hostile spirit of a dead ancestor. In desperation, principal Julieta McCarthy calls on Seattle-based parapsychologist Cree Black for help.

Is Tommy Keeday just a sensitive teenager, or is he suffe

Published 2004 by Pocket books

To ask other readers questions about Land Of Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land Of Echoes

Kathy
The first book in this series was promising, especially the way the author drew me into the setting of the story (New Orleans in that case). I was looking forward to this second book because it takes place in the Four Corners region of the Southwest, a landscape I know better and like a lot. But I almost gave up on it in the first half, which involves some long narratives setting up the back story on each character. The info was necessary to the plot but I wish it had been delivered in a better...more
John
Setting = excellent: I've never been to the area, but felt as thought I'd been raised there - the imagery is that vivid!

Plot = good: Kind of a combined rating ... the mystery/occult angle was done well, but Julietta's love life was as painful as a Harlequin much of the time. Cree's thoughts veered that way at times, but were largely kept in check so as not to detract from the main story.

Characters = fair: Cree was her usual self, as was Joyce (whose nasal NY accent is a hoot on audio). Edgar wa...more
Terri Epp
I am still in the process of reading this book but will finish it in the next day or so. It is based on a character named Cree Black, who is a renowned psychologist who owns a company that deals in parapsychology which is part of Cree's speciality.

Cree is asked to assist a boy who is showing signs of "possession" at a school for gifted Navajo students. The principal of the school feels she has a connecttion to this boy which brings up her past.

The sub plot involves a mining company. Julieta, the...more
Lhizz Browne
Another wonderful installment in the Cree Black series, and I think I liked this even more than the first. This one was less about Cree and her struggle to deal with the death of her husband, although I think she's slowly coming to terms with his loss, her interaction with the spirit world and her own self more. She acts as a white spectator of the world of the Diné/Navajo people, and Hecht's description of modern reservation life comes across as very realistic. He shows a people creating their...more
Theresa
A good book to listen to. This is the second of the "Cree Black Series." Cree is a parapsychologist who deals in hauntings and supernatural occurences, a "ghostbuster" you could say. This adventure was about a young Navaho boy possessed by a spirit. Reading (listening to) this book gave me many insights into Native American culture and life. The role of the healer is not that much different than the role of a psychologist. It is also interesting because at the same time I was listening to this n...more
Penny Ramirez
I'm liking this series. It's much more slowly-paced, less frenetic, than most of the supernatural stuff I read, so even though it's paranormal, I feel it's a different take on the subject. Hecht writes very atmospheric, haunting (ha ha) prose. I really felt that I was in New Mexico with this book.

Cree's ability to empathize so fully with her clients draws her into peril - sometimes quite dangerous both to her and the people around her. I liked this ghost story / possession story and how it was w...more
Emma
This was an incredibly gripping and slightly horrifying book. It is a mystery of the paranormal. THe "detective" is someone who works with ghosts. Odd I know. Not usually my thing. But it takes place on the Navaho Indian Reservation, and the story is deep, complex and riveting. The ghost part is very low key and almost beliveable which makes it more scary. Do not read this book before you go to bed. Do not read this book if you live in New Mexico. Reminds me of a camping trip we took when I was...more
Beverly
I totally loved Daniel Hecht's Skull Session and I couldn't wait to pick up this book. I did not realize it was 2nd in the series of Cree Black but I did not feel left out by not reading the 1st book first. Cree Black is a parapsychologist who is roped into taking on a case when she feels she is not ready. But she is drawn to Tommy Keeday, a student at a Reservation Boarding School, when she first meets him. He has been afflicted by either some strange psychologist illness or possessed by a ghos...more
Kirsten
This is the second Cree Black mystery. Cree, a parapsychologist, is investigating the possible possession of Tommy Keeday, a Navajo teenager, in New Mexico. Before she can help Tommy, however, Cree must unravel several mysteries and discover the true intentions of the people surrounding Tommy.

This is a good mystery; there's a lot of red herrings, and Hecht makes Cree's psychic talents unpredictable enough that they don't become an easy out. There's a good balance between supernatural elements an...more
Jenny Massey
Downloaded from Audible.

I like this series a lot and its always got some good twists and thoughts regarding ghosts, hauntings and paranormal stuff. But I really like this one because you feel like you are getting a lesson in Native American beliefs without it being condescending or naive. It isn't the whole part of the book, but when it is, it is done well. I especially like the ending as it brought the hero (Cree)to a place where she realized she has so much to learn and that she isn't alone....more
Donna Radcliff
Much easier read than City of Masks, the story hooked me within a couple of pages. I still glaze over when the techie part of paranormal research is covered, but there is not as much as with the first book. Set in the southwesst, Cree Black takes the case of trying to save a 15-year-old Indian boy who appears to be possessed. I had figured out most of the plot about a third in, but all the clues were there, it wasn't like Hecht was trying to completely fool the reader. Maybe not as overtly scary...more
Cheryl
I am into mysteries lately, and this was a paranormal one set in New Mexico and I liked it. The descriptions of the landscape were very cool, and I can relate to the feeling that there is something special and holy about the desert in the Southwest. The heroine was a paranormal pyschologist and related to her clients and ghost by empathy and taking on some of their characteristics and pain to help dispel the ghost or haunting. This book was different, an easy read but with some meat, not all flu...more
Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave
I really liked this book. I'm so glad she's trying to move on with her life after her husband's death. I was so worried it was going to turn into one of those series where the main character does nothing but pine for their dead love. I really liked the info and insight into Navajo culture. I normally have things figured out long before the author brings it to a conclusion. But I have to say that it didn't occur to me who the ghost was and why they haunted the boy until just before the author mad...more
Heather
I was hoping this might hit the spot as I'm missing Tony Hillerman after his passing in 2008. It was a good story, but went on too long. The characters were well-developed, but we heard a little too much of their inner dialogue. There were too many possibilities for who or what might be haunting the teenage Navajo boy who is at the center of the story.

On the other hand, I liked the way the author approached the subject of ghosts and how he evoked the geography of the Southwest.
Sandy D.
A good mystery & ghost story. I almost didn't take it from the New Books shelf at the library, because it sounded a bit flakey and new agey on the dust jacket, but it was a fun, fast read.

A psychologist specializing in the supernatural goes to the Navajo reservation to investigate a teenager who appears to be possessed. Lots of interesting stuff about Navajo beliefs (a la Tony Hillerman), the history of the area (boo for Kit Carson), and some interesting characters.
Theresa Abney
Having enjoyed the first Cree Black novel so much, I was hugely disappointed with its follow-up, Land of Echoes. Frankly, it was just boring. The characters were over the top sentimental and the descriptions of the "science" of emanations ('cause this is serious, so we can't call them ghosts) completely detracted from what little momentum the plot had managed to build. I don't even think I'm going to bother with the third installment.
audio

pretty predictable
Linda Dale
My goodness; I seem to be on a supernatural binge lately. This book was quite good of kind, the story of strange goings on in a boarding school for gifted Navajo children. Enjoyable characters, and excellent sense of place. This is the first of Hecht's books I've read; I'll probably pick up some more. Note: I read this via the audio version.
arjuna
Interesting on a Hillerman kind of level, nicely plotted, prose unremarkable but still a well-told, well-paced story (even if you can see the set-pieces coming). Credibly unsettling; am definitely going to chase up the other Cree Black stories as the parapsychology premise seems well thought out and interesting.
Kris
Interesting book about a young Navahoo boy who is posessed by a diplaced spirit. A parapsychologist is called in to help him. The problem is determining who the spirit is so they can connect with it and assist it into the next world.
Very well written. Not so scary that I couldn't sleep at night, either.
Wonderbunny
This is the second book in the Cree Black series and it was great. Cree is a very complex and interesting character. The paranormal cases she works are very much like the character, complex, interesting and unlike Cree, dangerous. I thought this was awesome and I'm looking forward to more.
Christine
Another in the Cree Black Series. With this book we visit New Mexico and a young indian boy named Tommy Keeday who is seemingly "possessed" by a spirit. As with the other two Cree Black books this one is rich with the history of the state and rife with Native Indian legends, folklore and rituals.
Sharonm
Excellent mystery/horror novel set in southwest with Native American and education story lines. Cree Black is a well realized character and sense of place was fabulous. Minor characters are also well fleshed out. I didn’t want this to end, but couldn’t put it down as it did.
April Schmidt
Creeepy....Love the New Mexico setting. Something about the Southwest that's so mystical and mysterious. Very well written and descriptive, you feel as if you are right there in the mists of the Navajo land. Perfect read for this time of year!
Persephone
Cree Black deals with her toughest case yet - possession. If your a fan of this modern ghost hunter you will not be disappointed. Hecht does a great job at expanding the Cree Black mythos while expanding his interesting take on the after life.
Emily Larson
Meh. I picked this one because it was available as a downloadable audio book from the library and I needed something to listen to while cleaning, painting, etc. It fits the bill, but is probably destined for a two-star rating. Maybe.
Natasha
Okay, this one I did finish. But in my defence, it took me a frigging three and a half weeks. I didn't understand it! I wanted to, but couldn't. I'd like to read it again in the future, but just the thought of... um, no.
Karen
The second Cree Black novel. This one is set in the Indian reservations and the ghost are very different. Hecht paints a wonderful picture of the past and present on the reservation and what it is like to be Native American.
Pat
Set in New Mexico, a psychologist trained to "channel" spirits helps a Navajo teen expel the spirit within. The characters were well written, and the plot was intriguing. It seemed a little drawn out, but worth the listen.
Alan
Only picked this up because of NM setting. Evil corporate guys against goody-goody school sounds too Billy Jack when I write it all out. Oh well. I looked at other Cree Black books and they just seem too creepy.
Can someone just tell me how it ends? 1 7 May 30, 2011 08:06PM
  • Summer of the Dragon
  • The Brothers of Baker Street: A Mystery
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • Finding Home
  • The House in Amalfi
  • Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir
  • Rolling in the Deep (Hawaiian Heroes, #2)
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Cry Dance
  • Port Of Paradise
  • The Dangers of Proximal Alphabets
  • The Koala of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #2)
  • Men of Maize
  • Ghosts
City of Masks (Cree Black, #1) Skull Session Bones of the Barbary Coast (Cree Black, #3) Puppets The Babel Effect