Clown

Clown

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  31 reviews
One day, Clown is thrown into the trash, but he doesn't stay there long.

He tries to find someone to take care of his friends, but no one listens.

Then Clown finds someone he can take care of, and together, they make a home for everyone.

Follow the fortunes of Clown-- who starts in a garbage can and ends up in a happy family-- in this perfectly pitched picture book.

Master il
Published September 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1995)

Ronyell
I have actually heard of Quentin Blake’s works from the many Roald Dahl books I have read as a child and I was actually surprised to read a book written by Quentin Blake himself. “Clown” is a children’s book by Quentin Blake and it is about how a small toy clown comes to life and tries to help the other toys that were thrown in the trash can find a new home. “Clown” is a cute story that children who love reading about toys will enjoy, but the illustrations might take some time getting used to.

Si...more
Dolly
Jun 11, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Reading this story with our girls was somewhat of an act of bravery for me because I HATE CLOWNS (shiver). Ever since I read It by Stephen King (and even worse, saw Tim Curry portraying Pennywise the clown on the made-for-tv miniseries), I have been petrified of clowns. And seeing the movie Poltergeist when I was a child didn't help. I don't even want to take our girls to the circus, although I mainly will hide behind the veil of an animal rights protest in that case and not just my fear of the...more
David
Clown by Quentin Blake is a wordless book about a stuffed clown who comes alive after being thrown into the trash with his stuffed animal friends, and has an adventure trying to find a home for himself and his discarded friends.

After Clown and his stuffed animal friends are tossed into the trash, Clown finds shoes and runs around the city trying to get help for his discarded friends. He approaches a couple children, is put into a costume contest, brought home by a child, but tossed away out the...more
Randie
A toy clown and some other toys are thrown away. The clown comes to life and ventures out into the city to find someone to save the other toys-- but no one seems to want old, worn out toys. Clown is not discouraged. His determination and devotion to his friends is inspiring.

Blake's squiggly ink lines and water-colored illustrations are not only brilliant but are fascinating enough to capture the action, emotions, and message of Clown’s story without words.

**A side note: I was eight-years-old wh...more
Morgan
I really wanted to like this book. I definitely tried to. However, I honestly got a little bit lost reading this book. I think that I would have liked it more if there was a story to go along with it. I didn't care for the art style. The style of this book was very sketchy, and used what looked like watercolor and pen. It seemed a bit busy, and I couldn't focus on what was going on. Particularly with the amount of detail that was in the background that was in some of the pictures. When I was abl...more
Cheryl in CC NV
I'm so glad for the Children's Books group here on GR - never would have picked this up at the library otherwise. I actually appreciate Blake's art style more now - for some reason I don't particularly like it in the Roald Dahl books. I also love the contrast with stories like The Velveteen Rabbit - Clown is already real, to those who can believe in him. Love can grow from even a most unlikely beginning.
Kirei
In this book, a toy clown gets thrown away. He gets out of the trash and thrown around by people. In the end, the message is about recycling toys rather than throwing them away.
the Reeds
A story without words by the guy who illustrated all the Roald Dahl books. My four year old 'read' me this story, wonderful.
Sandra Vicars
A cute wordless picture book that follows the adventures of a clown that is tossed in the trash with a few of his toy friends.
Charlotte
This cool, dark and funny story lacks words but not heart.
Eleanor West
‘Clown’ illustrated by the infamous Quentin Blake is an endearing story about a toy clown who is put in the rubbish. Escaping from the bin he’s put in, Clown goes on an adventure through the city to find a new owner. On the way he meets a young girl and explains his story, she decides to take him home but her mother refuses to let her keep him so he is thrown out again. After surviving a dog he is then thrown out again only to land in the bedroom of a babysitter and a baby who can’t stop crying....more
Michelle
I usually don't care for children's books without words, but this book changed my mind. It is such a sweet story! And I love Quentin Blake.
June
Jan 03, 2012 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Blake fans & those who enjoy toy stories
Recommended to June by: Children's Lit. Grp. - Dec. 2011 Toy Theme
An adorable story about a clown that is tossed out. Clown gets out of the trash can and then begins a search for someone to rescue his friends.

The sneakers are adorable!

I love Abigail's theme posted on Children's Books, December 2011 Toys discussion: "by helping others, we often help ourselves as well."

The theme has been done before. I remember using the filmstrip ofThe Night After Christmas for a story time. I think this is a simpler story, but wouldn't work for me now with groups around 30-50...more
This is a wordless book about a toy clown who gets thrown out and separated from his fellow toys in the trash can. He wanders through the city trying to find a way back to them. A heart-warming ending provides a satisfying conclusion to a story that ambles along. Blake's signature sketchy style captures the floppiness of the clown and the chaos of the city (NYC?). Themes about the meaning of "home" and wants vs needs would make for good discussion.
Linda
Brilliant. Why isn't this at any of my local libraries?!

Any child over 3 could 'read' this to you and will completely understand the concern of the clown for his friends - though kids will wonder why anyone would throw a gorgeous toy in the bin?!. The moral compass point of helping each other to help ourselves is gentle and not too didactic. Brilliant. (Perhaps Shaun Tan read Clown when he was younger.)

Tanya
My daughter was open-minded about the book, but couldn't figure out the message of it on her own. I had a bit of a time with it too as the artwork was too busy or there were sometimes too many pictures on a page. Disappointing for a book on the 1,001 Books To Read Before You Grow Up list.
hannah
I found it kind of meh, storywise. Blake is funny, but he's kind a Tim Burton-esque one-trick pony in his aesthetic style. Having seen his work regularly since I learned how to read, I think I was already over this book before I read it. Not for me, but actually pretty good, objectively speaking.
HeavyReader
Dec 10, 2011 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dumpster divers and people who love clowns
This book has no words! It's a picture book that's only pictures. I'm not so keen on only pictures, but the story is so cool that I ended up liking this book very, very much.

It's all about trash and dumpster diving and helping others and taking care of each other. Sigh. This is a good one.
Russell Olson
Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!
Emmy
Clown's adventures begin when he is thrown in the trash with his stuffed animal friends. He encounters people as he explores the city and finds a new home with a loving family.

The detained ink and water color illustrations shape a clear narrative.
Ryan
This was the first book by Quentin Blake that didn't disappoint me. Interestingly enough it's also the first book without any text. I think it's pretty clear that illustration is Blake's strong point. Writing and story-telling, not so much.
Emkoshka
A heartfelt wordless story of a toy clown who is transformed through a series of adventures from one person's trash into another person's treasure. A book that leaves a smile on the face.
Susan
This book is such a tickle, as clown makes his way through various situations. No words, pure spirit.
Christal
I love that this book has an art style that is European, yet the story is universal and wordless!
Nojood Alsudairi
Something about this book is not quiet right. I cannot put my hand on it!
Tammy
Just didn't strike me. The pictures were confusing sometimes.
Theresa
word less picture book about a small clown doll
Natalie
Amazing and wonderful. So gestural.
Leyla
Wordless ;), perfect for my 3-year-old!
Ann
Delightful book without words!
  • Up in the Tree
  • Anno's Journey
  • Michael Rosen's Sad Book
  • Old Bear
  • Burglar Bill
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • Rainstorm
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Winnie the Witch
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He...more
More about Quentin Blake...
Mister Magnolia Mrs. Armitage: Queen of the Road Zagazoo Cockatoos Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave