Start by marking “Clown” as Want to Read:
Clown

Clown

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
One day, Clown is thrown into the trash, but he doesn't stay there long.

He tries to find someone to take care of his friends, but no one listens.

Then Clown finds someone he can take care of, and together, they make a home for everyone.

Follow the fortunes of Clown-- who starts in a garbage can and ends up in a happy family-- in this perfectly pitched picture book.

Master il
Published September 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clown

The Arrival by Shaun TanTuesday by David WiesnerFlotsam by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
59th out of 182 books — 275 voters
The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
320th out of 1,131 books — 1,070 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Dec 24, 2011 Ronyell rated it really liked it
I have actually heard of Quentin Blake’s works from the many Roald Dahl books I have read as a child and I was actually surprised to read a book written by Quentin Blake himself. “Clown” is a children’s book by Quentin Blake and it is about how a small toy clown comes to life and tries to help the other toys that were thrown in the trash can find a new home. “Clown” is a cute story that children who love reading about toys will enjoy, but the illustrations might take some time getting used to.

Si
Dolly
Jun 11, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Reading this story with our girls was somewhat of an act of bravery for me because I HATE CLOWNS (shiver). Ever since I read It by Stephen King (and even worse, saw Tim Curry portraying Pennywise the clown on the made-for-tv miniseries), I have been petrified of clowns. And seeing the movie Poltergeist when I was a child didn't help. I don't even want to take our girls to the circus, although I mainly will hide behind the veil of an animal rights protest in that case and not just my fear of the ...more
David
Dec 02, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Clown by Quentin Blake is a wordless book about a stuffed clown who comes alive after being thrown into the trash with his stuffed animal friends, and has an adventure trying to find a home for himself and his discarded friends.

After Clown and his stuffed animal friends are tossed into the trash, Clown finds shoes and runs around the city trying to get help for his discarded friends. He approaches a couple children, is put into a costume contest, brought home by a child, but tossed away out the
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 15, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
A toy clown and some other toys are thrown away. The clown comes to life and ventures out into the city to find someone to save the other toys-- but no one seems to want old, worn out toys. Clown is not discouraged. His determination and devotion to his friends is inspiring.

Blake's squiggly ink lines and water-colored illustrations are not only brilliant but are fascinating enough to capture the action, emotions, and message of Clown’s story without words.

**A side note: I was eight-years-old wh
Morgan
Sep 18, 2011 Morgan rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I definitely tried to. However, I honestly got a little bit lost reading this book. I think that I would have liked it more if there was a story to go along with it. I didn't care for the art style. The style of this book was very sketchy, and used what looked like watercolor and pen. It seemed a bit busy, and I couldn't focus on what was going on. Particularly with the amount of detail that was in the background that was in some of the pictures. When I was abl ...more
Kareem Mckenzie
May 11, 2015 Kareem Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
This book is an endearing story about a toy clown who is put in the rubbish. Escaping from the bin he’s put in, Clown goes on an adventure through the city to find a new owner. On the way he meets a young girl and explains his story, she decides to take him home but her mother refuses to let her keep him so he is thrown out again. After surviving a dog he is then thrown out again only to land in the bedroom of a babysitter and a baby who can’t stop crying. Clown manages to calm the baby and pers ...more
Vicki Purbrick
Feb 12, 2016 Vicki Purbrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: listofbetterment
This book has no words, just beautiful illustrations. The pictures throughout the book tell a story that anybody can understand, in this case there are no need for words. The story is based around a bunch of toys that are thrown away in a bin, and the clown decides to go on an adventure. The clown goes in search of a new family so he and his friends can be loved once more and the group of toys can remain together and continue their friendship.

The clown, the main character is a constant figure t
ABC
Dec 13, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
In this book, a toy clown gets thrown away. He gets out of the trash and thrown around by people. In the end, the message is about recycling toys rather than throwing them away.
Jami
Jul 20, 2010 Jami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
A story without words by the guy who illustrated all the Roald Dahl books. My four year old 'read' me this story, wonderful.
Sandra Vicars
Sep 19, 2011 Sandra Vicars rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-334
A cute wordless picture book that follows the adventures of a clown that is tossed in the trash with a few of his toy friends.
Charlotte
This cool, dark and funny story lacks words but not heart.
Eleanor West
Nov 16, 2013 Eleanor West rated it it was amazing
‘Clown’ illustrated by the infamous Quentin Blake is an endearing story about a toy clown who is put in the rubbish. Escaping from the bin he’s put in, Clown goes on an adventure through the city to find a new owner. On the way he meets a young girl and explains his story, she decides to take him home but her mother refuses to let her keep him so he is thrown out again. After surviving a dog he is then thrown out again only to land in the bedroom of a babysitter and a baby who can’t stop crying. ...more
Michelle Gibson
Really enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book, story follows a toy who was chucked away and so goes looking for a new owner. The clown gets into mischief however has a happy ending. Children can relate to this wordless picture book by wondering what happens to their unwanted toys.

Cross curricular:
- Art, observational drawings of children's own toys.
- English, diary entry of how you would feel if you were the toy who was thrown out and unwanted.
Michelle
Feb 08, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I usually don't care for children's books without words, but this book changed my mind. It is such a sweet story! And I love Quentin Blake.
June
Jan 03, 2012 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Blake fans & those who enjoy toy stories
Recommended to June by: Children's Lit. Grp. - Dec. 2011 Toy Theme
An adorable story about a clown that is tossed out. Clown gets out of the trash can and then begins a search for someone to rescue his friends.

The sneakers are adorable!

I love Abigail's theme posted on Children's Books, December 2011 Toys discussion: "by helping others, we often help ourselves as well."

The theme has been done before. I remember using the filmstrip ofThe Night After Christmas for a story time. I think this is a simpler story, but wouldn't work for me now with groups around 30-50
Nawal NK
May 24, 2015 Nawal NK rated it really liked it
I quite enjoy Quentin Blake art style. This book may have no words but it is still well described.
Beth
Oct 12, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Good story and no words so can explore dialogue and book description.
Nathan
Jul 24, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a fan of his art, but it fit this story beautifully.
Lynnea
Mar 13, 2015 Lynnea rated it did not like it
I'm not a fan of wordless books to begin with... but I had a hard time figuring out what was going on.
Stephanie
Books are way better with words.
May 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This is a wordless book about a toy clown who gets thrown out and separated from his fellow toys in the trash can. He wanders through the city trying to find a way back to them. A heart-warming ending provides a satisfying conclusion to a story that ambles along. Blake's signature sketchy style captures the floppiness of the clown and the chaos of the city (NYC?). Themes about the meaning of "home" and wants vs needs would make for good discussion.
Linda
Jul 12, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Why isn't this at any of my local libraries?!

Any child over 3 could 'read' this to you and will completely understand the concern of the clown for his friends - though kids will wonder why anyone would throw a gorgeous toy in the bin?!. The moral compass point of helping each other to help ourselves is gentle and not too didactic. Brilliant. (Perhaps Shaun Tan read Clown when he was younger.)

Zayneea
Cute picture book about a clown finding a new home for himself and his friends. It has no words, but the pictures are very easy to follow and anyone could understand them. Lovely book .
Tanya
My daughter was open-minded about the book, but couldn't figure out the message of it on her own. I had a bit of a time with it too as the artwork was too busy or there were sometimes too many pictures on a page. Disappointing for a book on the 1,001 Books To Read Before You Grow Up list.
hannah
I found it kind of meh, storywise. Blake is funny, but he's kind a Tim Burton-esque one-trick pony in his aesthetic style. Having seen his work regularly since I learned how to read, I think I was already over this book before I read it. Not for me, but actually pretty good, objectively speaking.
HeavyReader
Dec 10, 2011 HeavyReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dumpster divers and people who love clowns
This book has no words! It's a picture book that's only pictures. I'm not so keen on only pictures, but the story is so cool that I ended up liking this book very, very much.

It's all about trash and dumpster diving and helping others and taking care of each other. Sigh. This is a good one.
Russell Olson
Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!
Emmy
Apr 15, 2009 Emmy rated it liked it
Clown's adventures begin when he is thrown in the trash with his stuffed animal friends. He encounters people as he explores the city and finds a new home with a loving family.

The detained ink and water color illustrations shape a clear narrative.
Hamster
This was the first book by Quentin Blake that didn't disappoint me. Interestingly enough it's also the first book without any text. I think it's pretty clear that illustration is Blake's strong point. Writing and story-telling, not so much.
Emkoshka
Dec 23, 2013 Emkoshka rated it liked it
A heartfelt wordless story of a toy clown who is transformed through a series of adventures from one person's trash into another person's treasure. A book that leaves a smile on the face.
  • Up in the Tree
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Madlenka
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Crocodile Beat
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Ernest and Celestine
  • Avocado Baby
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Changes, Changes
  • Rainstorm
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He
More about Quentin Blake...