Start by marking “Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey

Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A brilliant, illuminating, and often shocking exploration of one man's sexual odyssey, written by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Making of the Atomic Bomb and A Hole in the World. Making Love marks the first time a major author has written with such unapologetic candor of his most intimate experiences, fantasies, and thoughts.
Published December 31st 1992 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Making Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Love

Matt
Oh, hi there. I’ve just noticed you noticing me reading Richard Rhodes’ Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey. By the look on your face, I can tell you’re about to run away, hide your kids, and call the cops. But wait! Just because I have this slim, hardcover volume of erotica, with the two semi-naked people entwined on the cover, doesn’t make me a sex-crazed pervert.

There’s a perfectly good explanation why I have this book! It was a joke, see? One of my Goodreads’ friends noticed my intense admiratio
Henry Le Nav
In Letters to My Son: A Father's Wisdom on Manhood, Life, and Love, Kent Nerburn speaks of the old adage, “we humans are destined to live with our feet on the earth and our heads in the heavens, and we can never be at peace because we are pulled both ways” (page 146).

Then in a beautiful and poignant passage, Nerburn explains to his son how our sexuality must be both of the earth and of the heavens.

Richard Rhodes is one of my favorite authors. At the time Making Love was published I was attempti
Bill Johnson
I love reading about sex and erotica, but this got boring. Rhodes is a favorite author and Making of the Atomic Bomb is one of my all-time favorites, but this was a little too much (descriptions were anatomical and not erotic). It just never came together for me. It was quick and one of the Hawaii books I read june of 2014.
Lena
Jan 02, 2014 Lena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who is or hopes to be sexually active
Recommended to Lena by: Found it at a random bookstore and was intrigued by the cover art
Shelves: own
This was an incredible, insightful, healing, honest and inspiring book about making love. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to be more in tune with themselves- mind, body, and soul. It is not that he has managed to write about the experience of sex, as much as it is that he has written about his experiences and through that gives the opportunity for readers to search themselves to discover. What you discover, of course, is entirely up to you. Happy reading.
Kate Krohn
The frankness and vulnerability with which rhodes writes of his sex life are refreshing qualities to the discourse on the topic. ultimately, he illuminates and expounds upon the deeply intimate and dynamic experience that sex can be for humans.
Jessica
Oh. My. Stick to Rhodes' science books! This personal memoir was graphically TMI.
Beesly
Beesly added it
Apr 14, 2015
Ron Turner
Ron Turner marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Gordon Bermant
Gordon Bermant is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Travis
Travis added it
Apr 19, 2014
Christina Dellafemina
Christina Dellafemina marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Mike Heyd
Mike Heyd marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Savina
Savina marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2012
Jenny Lynn
Jenny Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Richard Lee Rhodes is an American journalist, historian, and author of both fiction and non-fiction (which he prefers to call "verity"), including the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Making of the Atomic Bomb (1986), and most recently, Arsenals of Folly: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race (2007). He has been awarded grants from the Ford Foundation, the Guggenheim Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation a ...more
More about Richard Rhodes...
The Making of the Atomic Bomb Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World Deadly Feasts: Tracking the Secrets of a Terrifying New Plague