Start by marking “Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey

Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey

3.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A brilliant, illuminating, and often shocking exploration of one man's sexual odyssey, written by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Making of the Atomic Bomb and A Hole in the World. Making Love marks the first time a major author has written with such unapologetic candor of his most intimate experiences, fantasies, and thoughts.
Published December 31st 1992 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Making Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Love

Matt
Apr 26, 2016 Matt rated it did not like it
Oh, hi there. I’ve just noticed you noticing me reading Richard Rhodes’ Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey. By the look on your face, I can tell you’re about to run away, hide your kids, and call the cops. But wait! Just because I have this slim, hardcover volume of erotica, with the two semi-naked people entwined on the cover, doesn’t make me a sex-crazed pervert.

There’s a perfectly good explanation why I have this book! It was a joke, see? One of my Goodreads’ friends noticed my intense admiratio
Henry Le Nav
Nov 16, 2011 Henry Le Nav rated it it was ok
In Letters to My Son: A Father's Wisdom on Manhood, Life, and Love, Kent Nerburn speaks of the old adage, “we humans are destined to live with our feet on the earth and our heads in the heavens, and we can never be at peace because we are pulled both ways” (page 146).

Then in a beautiful and poignant passage, Nerburn explains to his son how our sexuality must be both of the earth and of the heavens.

Richard Rhodes is one of my favorite authors. At the time Making Love was published I was attempti
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: sex
Bill Johnson
Jul 04, 2014 Bill Johnson rated it it was ok
I love reading about sex and erotica, but this got boring. Rhodes is a favorite author and Making of the Atomic Bomb is one of my all-time favorites, but this was a little too much (descriptions were anatomical and not erotic). It just never came together for me. It was quick and one of the Hawaii books I read june of 2014.
Lena
Jan 02, 2014 Lena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who is or hopes to be sexually active
Recommended to Lena by: Found it at a random bookstore and was intrigued by the cover art
Shelves:
This was an incredible, insightful, healing, honest and inspiring book about making love. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to be more in tune with themselves- mind, body, and soul. It is not that he has managed to write about the experience of sex, as much as it is that he has written about his experiences and through that gives the opportunity for readers to search themselves to discover. What you discover, of course, is entirely up to you. Happy reading.
Jessica
Nov 17, 2007 Jessica rated it it was ok
Oh. My. Stick to Rhodes' science books! This personal memoir was graphically TMI.
Richard Fohrenbach
Richard Fohrenbach marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Kaui
Kaui marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Ankit Goyal
Ankit Goyal marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Rosemary Knott
Rosemary Knott marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Tim Dodd
Tim Dodd rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Mark Gowen
Mark Gowen rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Cordelia Cuthbert
Cordelia Cuthbert marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
jon m campbell
jon m campbell rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Beesly
Beesly added it
Apr 14, 2015
Ron Turner
Ron Turner marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
Kenneth Kirk
Kenneth Kirk rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Gordon Bermant
Gordon Bermant is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Travis
Travis added it
Apr 19, 2014
T
T rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Michael Smith
Michael Smith rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Christina Dellafemina
Christina Dellafemina marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Richard Lee Rhodes is an American journalist, historian, and author of both fiction and non-fiction (which he prefers to call "verity"), including the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Making of the Atomic Bomb (1986), and most recently, Arsenals of Folly: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race (2007). He has been awarded grants from the Ford Foundation, the Guggenheim Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation a ...more
More about Richard Rhodes...