Start by marking “Crisis on Conshelf Ten (Crisis on Conshelf Ten, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crisis on Conshelf Ten (Crisis on Conshelf Ten, #1)

Crisis on Conshelf Ten (Crisis on Conshelf Ten #1)

While visiting Conshelf Ten, an underwater colony on Earth, a young Moon boy becomes involved with dissident Gillmen whose plans threaten the whole world.
144 pages
Published February 1st 1977

To ask other readers questions about Crisis on Conshelf Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crisis on Conshelf Ten

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
1001 YA Books
168th out of 199 books — 33 voters
1984 by George OrwellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books with Numbers in the Title
260th out of 687 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 25, 2011 Jessamay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, sci-fi, 2011
I wish I'd read this as a child, when I read loads of other Monica Hughes books. This one, however, may have gone over my head a bit - there's a lot of interesting politcal stuff. I dunno, probably would have been good for me.

My 9 year old self would like to give this five stars, as it was an exciting book about equal rights, and standing up for what you believe in, and war being BAD. It also has dolphins in, which is cool. The gillmen creeped me out a bit though, as did the almost-death from pr
Jeff Closs
May 20, 2015 Jeff Closs rated it really liked it
YA Fiction, written in 1975. YA has come a long way since then, but I'm going to rate this as if I were reading it as a young adult.

The science fiction is reasonably well imagined, and as a newish SCUBA diver I enjoyed the underwater settings and thought that went into setting a scene at 60 -100 feet, or 3 to 4 atmospheres. Comments about nitrogen narcosis and "the bends" were well done.

On the whole, it's a morality play with little characterisation, and with few pages to work with, interesting
Jul 05, 2015 Yor rated it it was amazing
I read this as a teen, and it is ooe of the few books from that long ago I can still remember a lot of. Even who recommended it to me. And I remember loving it, and finding it really engaging!

For some reason it just popped into my head and I was actually able to find the title (long forgotten) because of the unusual theme! Funny, because I have thought of it a number of times over the years, but figured it would be hopeless trying to get a name for it.
Lianne Burwell
Jan 20, 2015 Lianne Burwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this as a preteen, having bought it at a book event my teacher signed me up for, along with Keeper of the Isis Light. Both books were ones I read over and over again as a kid. The idea of people living underwater was something I'd never encountered before, and helped turn me into a reader of mostly science fiction and fantasy.
Cupof Tea
As only to be expected with a book written in 1975 about the "future" (2005) I had to suspend my disbelief a little more than usual. Apparently by now we should be living on the Moon and on the continental shelves, and have abolished the internal combustion engine. Oh, and Czechoslovakia is still a country ;P

Other than that, I enjoyed the theme of this story, the struggle that every colony has had to go through to gain their independence from the corporation making the rules through government l
Jun 12, 2012 Arwen rated it it was ok
Hard one to rate. My 11 year old son LOVES it, and I can see why - Moon colonization, undersea colonization, politics, intrigue, interesting well imagined environments, a well paced-plot. From the adult perspective, it's a little morality play with a lot of set changes. But it's a morality play I can get behind, perhaps. Violence begets violence, y'all.
Feb 19, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I read this as a young teenager, and loved it! Still a tightly - written and engaging story about the importance of non-violence in the struggle for equal rights.
Jul 10, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first science fiction books that I borrowed from the school library as a young boy, and it really sparked an interest in that subject.
I found the story to be a bit weak and the characters weren't all that interesting.
Chels Patterson
Feb 18, 2011 Chels Patterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-reads
Louise marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Warrick rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Annie marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Anbalagan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Adele added it
Aug 11, 2016
Eden added it
Jun 13, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Lawrence rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Kairi In Florida
Kairi In Florida marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Andre Lewis Maxwell
Andre Lewis Maxwell rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Veronica Molina
Veronica Molina marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Rebecca Clark
Rebecca Clark marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Zi Tong
Zi Tong rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Fjóla marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
  • Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
  • The Otterbury Incident
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • Memorias de una vaca
  • The Nargun and the Stars
  • Tulku
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • Dieu, le sexe et les bretelles (Titeuf, #1)
  • With Clive in India
  • Foxspell
  • Dougy (The Gracey Trilogy #1)
  • El polizón del "Ulises"
  • Maikäfer, flieg!
  • Jan, mein Freund
  • Jolanda, la figlia del Corsaro Nero
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming
  • The Wool-Pack
  • The Scarecrows
Monica Hughes was a very popular writer for young people, and has won numerous prizes. Her books have been published in the United States, Poland, Spain, Japan, France, Scandinavia, England, and Germany. She has twice received the Canada Council Prize for Children's Literature, and was runner-up for the Guardian Award.

She is the author of Keeper of the Isis Light, an American Library Association B
More about Monica Hughes...

Crisis on Conshelf Ten (2 books)
  • Earthdark (Crisis on Conshelf Ten, #2)