Start by marking “Doctor Who: Primeval (Big Finish Audio Drama, #26)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Primeval (Big Finish Audio Drama, #26)

Doctor Who: Primeval (Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas #26)

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Nyssa will die at dawn, and the Doctor doesn't even know why.

To save her life, he must make a desperate journey to the only place in the universe where a cure might exist.

When even that fails, the Doctor has a choice -- let Nyssa die, or make a deal with the devil.

After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 26th 2001 by Big Finish Productions Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Christopher Buchanan
Primeval, Prime Evil, Ahhhh, I see what you did there. Cute ;-) I won't launch into a big self-righteous rant about how I don't think things like gods and tangible evil should be in Doctor Who, but I do prefer they keep things on a sci-fi kind of track and I'm glad that this is kept to a minimum. That said, it does seem to work here, much as it did in 'Keeper of Traken' and 'Enlightenment'.
Also, much like those stories, this one feels like a proper 5th Doctor adventure. (I leave it to you to de
Jeffrey
Jul 12, 2015 Jeffrey rated it liked it
With Nyssa falling mysteriously ill, the Doctor seeks out the greatest physician of Trakenite biology. Travelling into Traken's own ancient past, can the Doctor save his companion without destroying Nyssa's homeworld before she was ever born?

As Peter Davison's Fifth is arguably my Doctor, I have a soft spot for his adventures and companions. While this lacks the certain familial atmosphere that Davison's all too crowded TARDIS provided. it gives room for him and Sarah Sutton (Nyssa) more room to
Mel
Feb 06, 2015 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
"There was religion so Trakken wasn't a true paradise" " "the water must be like acid for you" "Tell me how to set the stun setting or I will shoot you" (and that was before she got possessed by evil) I did enjoy Nyssa in this one. Trakken was one of the episodes I liked the best as a child and it was nice to see them return in this. An earlier different version of Trakken, but an interesting one. It was however, a bit disappointing that Lance didn't touch more on the fact that Nyssa had returne ...more
Angela
Jun 28, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
The Doctor brings Nyssa to ancient Traken because she is ill. Trakens do not like strangers, and there is a warship on their doorstep. How far will the Doctor go to save Nyssa. This is a decent story and the characters are well played. The concept is interesting too, just not particularly memorable. A good listen.
Meredith
Dec 01, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio
I'm really enjoying the adventures of Nyssa and the Doctor. In this one we learn more about her people.

There were some delightful satire with the saying of Darqua (sp?). Save yourself before you save anyone else. Darqua helps those who help themselves. Makes you stop and think a bit.
Stephen Osborne
Mar 02, 2016 Stephen Osborne rated it it was amazing
The Doctor must bring Nyssa to Traaken's past to save her life. A good tale, easily envisioned. Nicely done.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Good one. Davison's warm voice is such a relief! A very interesting story that brings Nyssa face to face with her long-lost Kraken's primeval past. A godlike machine, a demonic god, a head-in-the-sand utopia and a wasting disease all make for an exciting adventure with lots of atmosphere. 'A gentleman knows how to do the Charleston, but doesn't.' such a great sense of character!
Toni
Sep 18, 2012 Toni rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, audiobook
In this adventure, we find the 5th Doctor and Nyssa traveling back to Traken after Nyssa takes ill and the Doctor is unable to find a cure. Enjoyable story - the nemesis was definitely formidable and it was great to see (an earlier version) of Traken again - especially since this story establishes some events from the Keeper episode.
Nicholas Whyte
At last, a good Nyssa/Fifth Doctor play! Nyssa is taken ill and Five brings her back to Traken, centuries before her own time. Lots of nice setting up, though there is a wee bit of Shaggy God story about it.
Aug 29, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: tossed, kept, audio
Nyssa is ill so Fifth Doctor takes her to ancient Traken to find a cure. There is a cure, but trying to keep a low profile isn't really something the Doctor can really successfully do.
Steven
Jul 20, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
When Nyssa's psychic abilities threaten her life, the Doctor takes her to ancient Traken. Will Nyssa be healed, or does the Doctor's arrival threaten Traken and its Source?
Peter O'Brien
Aug 14, 2013 Peter O'Brien rated it liked it
This is typical Fifth Doctor era - loads of characters standing around debating philosophy. However, things definitely pick up in episode 4.
Debra Cook
Jan 21, 2016 Debra Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Interesting adventure into Traken's past. Evil taking over people. Trying to rule the world. That never gets old.
Bronwen
Mar 17, 2012 Bronwen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, tv, audio
Mmmmmeh? I struggled to get through this one...
Tony Kornkven
Tony Kornkven rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
07jonesj
07jonesj marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Mac Mathghamhna
Mac Mathghamhna rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2016
Warren
Warren rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Rick Wood
Rick Wood marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Simon Exton
Simon Exton rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Mikael Kuoppala
Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Uther Dean
Uther Dean rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
El
El rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Rich
Rich rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lance Parkin is an author who has written professional Doctor Who fiction since the 1990s. He is one of the few authors to write for both the 1963 and 2005 version of the programme — though much of his fiction has actually been based on the 1996 iteration. Indeed, he was notably the first author to write original prose for the Eighth Doctor in The Dying Days. He was also the author chosen to deliv ...more
More about Lance Parkin...

Big Finish Doctor Who Audio Dramas (1 - 10 of 213 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time (Big Finish Audio Drama, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Phantasmagoria (Big Finish Audio Drama, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Whispers of Terror (Big Finish Audio Drama, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Land of the Dead (Big Finish Audio Drama, #4)
  • Doctor Who: The Fearmonger (Big Finish Audio Drama, #5)
  • Doctor Who: The Marian Conspiracy (Big Finish Audio Drama, #6)
  • Doctor Who: The Genocide Machine
  • Doctor Who: Red Dawn (Big Finish Audio Drama, #8)
  • Doctor Who: The Spectre of Lanyon Moor (Big Finish Audio Drama, #9)
  • Doctor Who: Winter for the Adept (Big Finish Audio Drama, #10)