Start by marking “A Thousand Suns” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Suns

A Thousand Suns

From Japanese terrorists in the holy land to freedom fighters in fascist Portugal, from spread of Nazism to the liberation of Paris, from Mahatma Gandhi to Mother Teresa. Lapierre delves eloquently into the heart of the history of uour time
Paperback
Published June 25th 2003 by Full Circle Publishing Ltd (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Suns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Suns

Gary
Jun 10, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it
Dominique Lapierre was one of the twentieth century's most prolific international journalists and a highly prolific author of both novels and historical works, many together with his lifelong coleague Larry Collins.
In this digest he takes us through some of his greatest journeys and encounters with people who shaped the course of events. He includes some of the encounters behind his joint works with Dominique Lapierre, such as his interview with Ehud Avriel, who helped Jews to escape Hitler's in
Vasundhara Vats
May 13, 2016 Vasundhara Vats rated it really liked it
The books is so well-written that you feel you are experiencing the events with your own eyes. This is the second book I read by Dominique Lapierre (first being O Jerusalem) and I am hooked to his style of writing about historical events. My favorite sections of the book were stories on the Portuguese pirate; Spanish matador 'El Cordobés' and Caryl Chessman. The books evokes a sense of history and its continuity to the present day. Very real yet poetic way to relive history and the lessons ...more
Frank Snell
Nov 12, 2013 Frank Snell rated it really liked it
This is a series of essays about divergent topics the author is passionate about from travel and cars, to terrorism, to poverty in India. It is like a selected and personal tour of 20th Century history. It is especially interesting because it is written by a Frenchman from a non-American (not anti-American) point of view.
Jbl Robinson
Jul 27, 2011 Jbl Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow ... fascinating and engaging ... A really human side of major historical events of our times such as the rise of Nazism, fall of the Iron Curtain and decline of Colonialism, even the death penalty ... all encounters told with a spirit so large ... it took my breath away!
Miguel
Oct 21, 2016 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
È il secondo dell'autore che leggo, ed è eccellente. La vita vissuta da lui, descritta da lui è qualcosa di meraviglioso. Qui, ci racconta diverse faccende, alcune in cui c'entra quella che forse è il suo capolavoro che ho letto mesi fa, "La città della gioia". Dalla vita di "El Cordobes", il famoso torero spagnolo all'inchiesta per il libro sull'indipendenza dell'India, ogni capitolo è stupendo.
Lynda
Chapters divisions of stories of Lapierre's investigative reporting and gathering info for books. Some of the stories: Caryl Chessman awaiting execution on death row in San Quentin; General Dietrich von Choltitz and his part in saving Paris at the end of WWII; Gandhi and Lord Mountbatten ending England's colonization of India, and Mother Teresa and others' struggles to help the poor of India. This book has led me forward to 3 or 4 others books on different subjects covered that I want to read.
Vishali Krishna
Jul 28, 2014 Vishali Krishna rated it it was amazing
I never liked History. actually failed in exams. Although i do have a hunger for knowledge and informations, it is hard for me to understand and retain the historical facts. If you are like me, I am sure you will like this book immensely. Some books entertain us, a few enthrall us, but this book leaves you speechless. It made me so curious about all the books the author has written. He has narrated his experiences while researching for the books in such lucid and enthralling language that I ...more
Miguel Ángel
Jun 01, 2012 Miguel Ángel rated it really liked it
Simplemente quedé completamente conmovido por todas las aventuras que Dominique Lapierre ha vivido y todos los personajes con los que se ha codeado a lo largo de su carrera como periodista es realmente admirable.

También me hizo comprender de que al igual que hay personas mezquinas y crueles en este mundo que sólo les interesa el poder y el dinero, también hay personas nobles que luchan hasta el fin por una causa distinta y esa causa es, hacer al hombre más humano y consciente de su alrededor par
Kxv
Aug 09, 2011 Kxv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gracias, gran Dominique, por recordarme por qué me hice periodista. Ese gusto por las buenas historias, ese ingenio para lograr la exclusiva o conseguir la entrevista imposible, ese desmedido afán por conocerlo todo, por sumergirse, por contarlo... India, el Cordobés, la liberación de París, Calcuta... Junto a Larry Collins firmó algunas de las páginas más memorables de la historia moderna. Este libro es algo así como el "making of". Un auténico deleite.
Alison
Mar 02, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
Truly amazing that this journalist actually lived as much history as he did, meeting everyone from Golda Meir to the Dalai Lama. Really well written and interesting reading, even some of the stories I'd never heard about - the death row inmate interviews at the beginning of the book were pretty compelling.
Srinivas
Nov 09, 2009 Srinivas marked it as partially-read
Borrowed it from H12 Library, or from someone in H12 (KC? who in turn got it from H12 Library).
It's a collection of real stories of some extraordinary incidents. Don't remember if I read it completely.
Diana
Vi siete mai chiesti come sono nati, quali sono stati gli incipit dei romanzi di Dominique Lapierre? Questo libro vi risponde e vi svela i retroscena divertenti, surreali, forti, inaspettati di molti suoi capolavori.
Un libro indispensabile per chi ama questo scrittore.
Sneh
Dec 17, 2009 Sneh rated it it was amazing
What a life!His glory days i guess...just to play that role and record history firsthand...one life i envy!
Ilana Cohen
May 04, 2013 Ilana Cohen rated it it was amazing
What an incredible life Dominique Lapierre has had. So full of adventure, excitement and fulfilment. I couldn't stop reading. I had to know what he did next.
Malina
Apr 03, 2009 Malina rated it liked it
It was good, but leaned just a little on the side of self-aggrandizement. I really like him as an author, but don't really like to hear him list off his accomplishments.
arcobaleno
Letto sulla scia di Città della gioia, ha confermato la sensibilità dell'Autore nella descizione del mondo dei diseredati e dei dimenticati sulla Terra.
Ashish
Ashish rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Shunrei
Shunrei rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Ash
Ash rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Marica
Marica rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2014
Simona
Simona rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Rahul
Rahul rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Martina
an exquisite read. a beautiful account of an accomplished life. must to read again!
Ksvm Koundinya
Ksvm Koundinya rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Nandita Goswami
Nandita Goswami rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2010
Florecita
Florecita rated it liked it
May 16, 2011
Mayris Robles
Mayris Robles rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Isabel
Isabel rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Giuliana C ch
Giuliana C ch rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
  • This Quiet Dust: And Other Writings
  • War Journal: My Five Years In Iraq
  • Or I'll Dress You in Mourning: The Story of El Cordobes and the New Spain He Stands For
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • Italiani con valigia
  • Fantasmi: Dispacci dalla Cambogia
  • Confessions Of An Argentine Dirty Warrior: A Firsthand Account Of Atrocity
  • India: A Portrait
  • John, Son of Thunder
  • Undaunted: One Man's Real-Life Journey from Unspeakable Memories to Unbelievable Grace
  • Serial killer: storie di ossessione omicida
  • Life in the Balance: A Physician's Memoir of Life, Love, and Loss with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia
  • Aglio, menta e basilico: Marsiglia, il noir e il Mediterraneo
  • I Married Adventure
  • Hugging the Shore: Essays and Criticism
  • The Bottom Of The Harbor
  • Memoirs
  • The Secrets of Rome: Love and Death in the Eternal City
Dominique Lapierre was born in Châtelaillon-Plage, Charente-Maritime, France. At the age of thirteen, he travelled to America with his father who was a diplomat (Consul General of France). He attended the Jesuit school in New Orleans and became a paper boy for the New Orleans Item. He developed interests in travelling, writing and cars.

He was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civili
More about Dominique Lapierre...

“La destrucción voluntaria de una jirafa africana o de un kagú de Nueva Caledonia, en la medida en que compromete la supervivencia misma de tales especies, es el plano filosófico y científico, quizás tan grave como el asesinato de un hombre y tan irreparabale como la laceración de un cuadro de Rafael. Acaba para siempre con un fragmento del pasado. Roger Hein.” 1 likes