Start by marking “Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon

Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon (Doctor Who: Quick Reads #3)

The TARDIS brings the Doctor and Martha to Balmoral in 1902. Here they meet Captain Harry Carruthers - friend of the new king, Edward VII. Together they head for the castle to see the king - only to find that Balmoral Castle is gone, leaving just a hole in the ground. The Doctor realises it is the work of the Judoon - a race of ruthless intergalactic mercenary space police ...more
Published 2008 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Riina Y.T.
Jul 26, 2015 Riina Y.T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Wonderful story! We're in 1902, there's the king, Edward VII, Arthur Conan Doyle AND nasty shapeshifting aliens!

Oh and the Doctor, of course.

How much better can it get, really? <3
Jamie
Sep 21, 2008 Jamie rated it did not like it
Doctor Who tie in fiction released as part of the Quick Reads initiative, this is an extremely bog standard aliens-want-to-take-over-the-Earth plot set in 1902. Don't be fooled by the title, the Judoon barely feature and when they do its almost as though budget limitations have carried over to print form, its only right at the very end that one of them takes his helmet off.

The plot, scant as it is sees the Doctor trying to track down Balmoral castle which has vanished in a cloud of upwards rain
Yvensong
A very quick and easy read. This was more a short story than a novel and the title is a bit misleading. The Judoon are background characters in the thin plot of an alien race bent on taking over the world. Despite that, this is a fun, fast read for anyone who wants a Doctor Who fix.
Chris
Feb 21, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
The book was good for a short story. The title is a bit of a misnomer because the Judoon are secondary characters at best. The writing was ok, the dialog at some points was pretty bad though and honestly I expected better from Terrance Dicks. While I was somewhat entertained while I read it, it's definitely not a book that would go down as "One to remember". Luckily there are plenty of other Doctor Who books that are.
Ann-lee
Dec 02, 2013 Ann-lee rated it really liked it
Leidsin kaltukast Doctor Who jutukese ja oli päris nauditav pooletunnilugemine, lõbus meelelahutus - ja minu arust oli Doctori juttu paremini tabatud, kui selles teises, mis ma lugesin.
Bab
Jun 03, 2016 Bab rated it liked it
Nice little thing. More like 3.5* I'd say!
Brooklyn Tayla
Read more of my reviews here https://brooklynthebookworm.wordpress...

I loved this! What with Ten, Martha, 1900's London and Arthur Conan Doyle, what's not to love?!
Joe Santoro
Jun 13, 2014 Joe Santoro rated it liked it
Shelves: hard_sf
This is a 'BBC Books quick read', which is a neat concept... not-quite book length novels that I can imagine are sold at train stations and the like for the price of a magazine... I got this one as part of one of those box sets (from Hamilton Books, in fact) from the UK. It's (slightly) notable as the author was one of the more prolific of the Who authors back in the day.. this one is the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) with Martha Jones.

Cover: Not too exciting, and typical of the series... top half
Eric Troup
Aug 10, 2014 Eric Troup rated it it was amazing
Weird as this may sound, I didn't get most of my enjoyment of Doctor Who back in the 1980s through the TV series, although I did watch it on my local PBS station. I got much of my enjoyment of Doctor Who through the Target novelizations. In my head, I wasn't limited by budget; my skull-cinema made those stories come alive --so much so that when I actually saw some of the episodes whose novelizations I'd read, I actually found myself a bit disappointed. What does this have to do with Revenge of t ...more
Melyssa
Dec 17, 2011 Melyssa rated it liked it
Shelves: whoniverse
Aujourd'hui j'ai lu mon premier quick reads, qui, comme son nom l'indique, se reads effectivement très quickly. Évidemment, avec 100 pages écrites en police 40 et des marges de la taille d'une autoroute, ça laisse pas beaucoup de place pour développer une bonne histoire bien tarabiscotée, mais du coup, on suit le mouvement, on réfléchit pas trop, ça se lit facilement.

Alors bien sûr, le Docteur nous résout notre problème du jour en 2 coups de tournevis et 3 grandes phrases doctoresques, vu qu'il
Amy Mckee
This look an embarrassingly long time to read considering how short it was BUT I WAS BUSY OKAY

I really love the idea of this book, getting younger people who maybe don't read that often into reading shorter books about something that they'll already be interested in, and I get a super short doctor who story, win-win!

I really enjoyed this story and it felt like a classic Tennant tale (even though he was a little out of character at times) and Martha was perfect, I read all her lines in her voic
Anu
Oct 25, 2013 Anu rated it really liked it
Terrance Dicks is most definitely one of the better writers of Doctor Who books. "Made of Steel" was quite excellent and so is the "Revenge of the Judoon". The plot is neat and tight but not obvious at all. You will be guessing till the last page. Also, Martha as usual is completely kick-ass and the Doctor is his usual quirky genius self. The fact that sets Terrance Dicks apart from other authors of Doctor Who books is that he gets the characters spot on. His books are a very smooth transition f ...more
Siskoid Albert
Jan 17, 2012 Siskoid Albert rated it did not like it
Since Quick Reads are essentially short novellas, I also made small work of Revenge of the Judoon by Terrance Dicks. Dicks did pretty well with the shorter format back when he was writing all those Target novelizations, and pleased me with his Quick Reads Cyberman story, Made of Steel. But wow, is this a failure! The simple plot has the Judoon descend on the Edwardian era and grab Balmoral castle with the King inside it, and though it has a cute explanation of why the teleport a hospital all the ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 14, 2014 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
It's a book that actually struggles against its Quick Reads format for one simple reason: it's a really fun story begging to be a LONGER, really fun story. It's full of the same historical enthusiasm that you can find in much more developed Terrance Dicks novels, such as "Players" and "World Game"...and I would love to read a version of "Revenge of the Judoon" that is just as rich as those previous novels. All that said, it's still a testament to Mr. Dicks' decades of skill and talent that this ...more
Nick Cox
Considering he isn't actively involved in the production of the current TV series, veteran Doctor Who script editor and screenwriter Terrance Dicks shows with this novel that he has a perfect grasp of the 10th Doctor's personality, the style of his stories and at least one of the monsters he has already encountered. Having seen Dicks in so many special features on classic Who DVDs, it was difficult at first not to imagine his voice narrating: "Captain Cawuthers pwotested with Mawtha...", but aft ...more
Megan
This was such a fun read! I have recently discovered the Doctor Who quick reads, and this is only the second one I've read, but I really enjoy them. They're so easy to read in one sitting, almost like watching an episode. :)

Historical people are brought in a characters in the story and they really play no real point in it - their "parts" could have been filled by anyone and it would have served the same purpose.

I liked that Martha actually dressing in a period outfit, she normally doesn't and I
Travis
Jan 30, 2011 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
A fun, very lightweight read, geared towards the younger Doctor Who fans. Reads like a really good TV episode, with all the sub-plot and emotional soul searching scraped off.

I love the Judoon. They are my favorite new Doctor Who alien, those literal-minded rhino beat cops. They are not evil, just dedicated to the point of fanaticism and pretty knucle headed.

When a castle in Scotland goes missing, the Doctor and Martha, immediately suspect the Judoon, then with a little help from Arthur Conan-Doy
Taksya
Dec 29, 2015 Taksya rated it liked it
Nuova lettura veloce a tema Doctor Who, questa volta per il Decimo Dottore e Martha.
Ambientazione inizio XX secolo, non troppo accurata. Comparsate per Sir Arthur Conan Doyle e per Edoardo VII e successione sincopata degli eventi a causa della brevità richiesta dal tipo di prodotto.
Il Dottore e Martha sono abbastanza in parte e riconoscibili. I Judoon sono poco più che comparse e fanno solo quello che abbiamo già visto fare loro in Smith and Jones nella serie tv. I cattivi di turno, i Cosmic Pe
Noah Soudrette
Apr 26, 2008 Noah Soudrette rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
While this is a harmless and fun little story, it does suffer from a few problems. While I like the Judoon, they are terribly underutilized. This can be attributed to the ultra-basic/non-existent plot. I realize this is supposed to be a "quick read" (spiritual successor to a target paperback), but this is just too basic a story for me. I expected more from uncle Terrance. However, the book is set in one of my favorite English periods, the Edwardian period. This leads to some fun but ultimately g ...more
Gordon
Aug 21, 2011 Gordon rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Nice and short and straight to the point. The Dialogue was exactly how I imagined David and Freema to deliver it if it was a story onscreen. Loved the Scottish setting! Balmoral Castle no less (well Balmoral Castle in the desert... What's it doing there? You'll have to read to find out). I knew this book wouldn't take me long, and I'm glad I've read it because I really enjoyed it!
Paul
Apr 07, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Review written: sometime before April 20, 2015

Revenge of the Judoon by Terrance Dicks

Why I read it: More Doctor Who

Rating: 4/5

What I thought: It was great - very efficient, very successful at mixing its disjoint parts into one cohesive whole. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get more Arthur Conan Doyle, but (view spoiler) more than made up for that.
Britney
Aug 18, 2014 Britney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
A fantastic short story. Filled with all the action, adventure, and humor you'd expect from a Doctor Who episode. The 10th Doctor and Martha Jones were very well written - I could instantly hear David Tennant and Freema Agyeman's voices reciting the dialogue (and Nicholas Briggs, of course, as the Judoon ^_^). A great quick read - perfect for long car or plane trips; easily finished in a week or less.
Nathan
Feb 28, 2012 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction

Well, this was disappointing. I wasn't holding out much hope for it, considering it's a Martha Jones book and she's my least favorite companion. These "quick reads" are not very well thought out, I'm finding. The plots don't have enough book to fully form. But I love the characters, so I'll keep trying Doctor Who books. Maybe I'll take them out of the library from now on though!
Ryan Atwood
Oct 10, 2012 Ryan Atwood rated it really liked it
This was the third of these quickreads Doctor Who books I read. It was pretty good, but its important to remember that these were writen with kids in mind. This is not prose that will change the world but if your looking for a fun fast read, or if you're a Who fan who misses Martha and/or Ten, its worth a couple hours reading time.
AnnaM
Jan 22, 2011 AnnaM rated it really liked it
The Doctor takes Martha to Balmoral Castle in 1902 for a quiet, relaxing vacation. Of course, it never works out that way.

I thought it was okay. The characters did sound correct and there was quite a bit of historical detail in it. It is a kid's book. Thus the reason my 4th grader loved it. I gave it four stars because he liked it so much.

Nicholas Whyte
Dec 23, 2009 Nicholas Whyte rated it it was ok

A BBC Quick Read book, which has the Tenth Doctor and Martha rescuing King Edward VII from kidnapping by the Judoon, who themselves are ensnared in someone else's evil plan. Does what it says on the tin, in standard Terrance Dicks mode, with random added Arthur Conan Doyle for extra colour.
Jacquelyn
Jun 04, 2015 Jacquelyn rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
This Ten has more substance than a lot of the other novels out there; it might be the inclusion of Martha Jones, who was true to character, and I love her having a bit of her own adventure while the Doctor is busy. It had potential to be a really good longer story, but it felt cut down in its prime to be made a "Quick Reads".
René
Apr 15, 2016 René rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a plausible enough story for the Doctor Who universe. Like a few other reviewers said, the 'bad guys' were weak. I actually felt like the Judoon got the raw end of the deal here. The book is named after them and they aren't even used to their full potential.
Matt D
Feb 20, 2014 Matt D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It delivered exactly what it promised: a quick read. It was an interesting story, though clearly without much wiggle room for depth, given the page limit. I'm not entirely sure this wasn't just a glorified kids novel using the characters of Doctor Who, given the simplicity of the writing.
Terri
Nov 02, 2008 Terri rated it really liked it
This was a quick fun Dr. Who fix. The Doctor and Martha go to visit Balmoral Castle only to find it is missing. Theym along with Captain Harry Caruthers investigate to find that the Judoon have taken the castle under lies from another race who want to rule the world.

Typical Dr. Who fun!
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
Terrance Dicks is an English writer, best known for his work in television and for writing a large number of popular children's books during the 1970s and 80s.

His break in television came when his friend Malcolm Hulke asked for his help with the writing of an episode of the popular ABC (ITV) action-adventure series The Avengers, on which Dicks received a co-writer's credit on the broadcast. He als
More about Terrance Dicks...

Doctor Who: Quick Reads (7 books)
  • Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek