Start by marking “Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)” as Want to Read:
Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,611 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
He's been on the scene in your stores and selling in big numbers for almost twenty-five years: Arthur, the bestselling aardvark. Now his Emmy award-winning, number-one rated children's TV show, Arthur, has catapulted his book sales to new heights. Arthur has sold in the past, continues to sell in record numbers in the present, and Now Little, Brown offers a fantastic ...more
Published April 2nd 1990 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's Baby

Mandi Murphy
Aug 31, 2010 Mandi Murphy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, ross, picture-books
Don't love reading these books, but my kids sure seem to.
Paiton Larson
Nov 16, 2016 Paiton Larson rated it liked it
Arthur’s mother tell him that him and his sister D.W. will be getting a baby sister. D.W. is very happy, but Arthur is worried. Arthur's friends tell him all the horrible things that will happen once Kate, the baby, arrives. Arthur is left in charge of Kate, and when she won’t stop crying D.W. panics. Arthur listens to Kate and thinks about her needs before burping her.

This story was enjoyable. I could see myself having this book in my classroom for students with siblings to read, and even stud
Jamie Bye
Oct 22, 2016 Jamie Bye rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Arthur’s mom announces that they will be getting a baby sister! D.W. is ecstatic, but Arthur is worried. His friends tell him all the horrible things that will happen once Kate, the baby, arrives, and when she finally does, Arthur doesn’t believe he can handle her. Arthur is left in charge of Kate, and when she won’t stop crying D.W. panics. Arthur listens to Kate and thinks about her needs before burping her. I thought that this was such a cute story about a big brother being worried about ...more
Laura Gibbs
Oct 11, 2009 Laura Gibbs rated it liked it
This was a sweet Arthur story as well-I liked what it can teach kids whose parents are about to have a baby! Arthur’s mom comes to them and tells them that she’s having a baby; Arthur seems to be nervous about it! All of his friends start telling him all of these bad things, such as having to get ear plugs because it’ll be so loud or that he won’t be able to do anything ever because he’ll have to babysit all the time. Arthur’s mom starts to get ready for the baby, and he sees babies all the ...more
Ting Zhang
Nov 13, 2015 Ting Zhang rated it really liked it
This book “Arthur’s baby” is suitable to use for ages 3 to 6. It was written by Marc Brown. It tells a story of Arthur's parents tell him and his sister that they are waiting for a new baby come in about six months. The next day Arthur talks about it to his friends at school. His friend have a lot of advices for him. Therefore, Arthur begins to learn how to take care of the little baby. Arthur’s mother show her children photo album. For example, the pictures of Arthur and his sister at age of ...more
Bsrusse1
Sep 02, 2015 Bsrusse1 rated it really liked it
As a person who grew up watching Arthur, reading his books helped me get a familiar feel for learning how to read while already having a voice to match the words and pictures. Basically, this book is about how Arthur's mother having another baby and he's not too keen on the idea since he has enough trouble putting up with his sister D.W.'s antics. Another sister in his mind would be catastrophic! Through the story, the reader follows Arthur as he goes through his thoughts and words on how he ...more
Allison
Feb 16, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about Arthur and his family welcoming home a new baby sister. At first, Arthur is unsure about having a baby sister because his friends talk about how he will have to babysit and change dirty diapers so he will have less time for himself and his friends. D.W. is much more excited to have a new little sibling. After the baby comes home Arthur's mom has to leave the room and asks Arthur to watch the baby and D.W. says she'll do all the work until she can't get the baby to ...more
Madeline Voight
Feb 13, 2012 Madeline Voight rated it liked it
In this Arthur Adventure, a new baby comes into the picture and Arthur is unsure how to react. Arthur's younger sister, DJ is excited and enthusiastic about the new edition to their family while Arthur is unfamiliar with the baby concept. Basically, Arthur is not ready for an infant around the house; he likes his life the way it is. I found this book to be very realistic. The way his parents got the children prepared for the new baby was similar to the way I was prepared when I was five and my ...more
Kristen
Feb 23, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
ok - one more new baby and older sibling book. This has all the greatness of an Arthur story, with the anticipation and nervousness of having a new baby in the house, that all resolves in the end. I always loved reading the first lines (over and over) to my kids when were expecting a new baby:
"we're going to have a new baby!"
"what, a baby??"
"yes, in about 6 months!!"
(with the picture of the mom eating ice cream with pickles)

I thought these books were great for prepping the kids for what lay in s
Liliana Escamilla
This book depicts the life of Arthur as his parents tell him that they are expecting another baby. It shows the reactions of his friends and his younger sister, D.W. It also reveals Arthur’s reaction and how he deals with another baby joining the family.

Having another baby join the family is a big deal, so this was a great stories to introduce to children who are going through big changed in their life.

With this book we should allow children to write their own story about a time a big change h
Cortney Perkins
Nov 25, 2015 Cortney Perkins rated it it was amazing
Arthur was one of my favorites books to reads in elementary school. I still enjoy reading them. This is about Arthur getting a new baby sister in his family and what all being a big brother means. This would be great to share for a read aloud if you knew that one of your students just had a new sibling arrive. This could be a great way to incorporate a writing lesson about responsibilities that students have at home too.
Tori
Feb 04, 2015 Tori rated it really liked it
Even though it is an older book and was around when I was little I thought it was a great book. I think it is a good book to have in the younger Elementary classrooms because you might have students who are worried about having a new baby in the family. I thought the pictures were great for small children. This would be a book I would keep in my classroom library and use for a read aloud as a fun book or if I knew there was a student in my class worried about a new baby in the house.
Katie Nanney
Mar 12, 2015 Katie Nanney rated it really liked it
I loved Arthur as a kid, so I'm a little biased about "Arthur's Baby". "Arthur's Baby" had a good story about adjusting to life before and after having a new sibling. I really liked the illustrations and the story. I think I read it the first time sometime after my little brother was born, so I can see how the book can be used to help a child adjust to having a new sibling. I would recommend the book for anyone 1st grade and up, but especially for children expecting a new brother or sister.
Megan Zimmerman
A fun way to look at new family members and to discuss how your students may have felt when they added a new baby brother or sister to their family. Or if they want a brother or sister. Great for opening up discussions about what different families look like. Arthur has a new baby sister, and he's not so sure how he feels about this new addition. This was one of my favorite Arthur books growing up.
Janet Chen
Feb 18, 2011 Janet Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book to read to students if they are about to have a new baby brother or sister, it helps teach them about responsibility and to be honest with their parents about how they feel. It's always an enjoyable book also to read for fun. I would choose this book mainly for one student especially if they are expecting a new family member, rather than a large group maybe.
Megan Rowland
Mar 18, 2012 Megan Rowland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arthur
Arthur's parents tell Arthur and DW that they are having a baby. Arthur is not happy about it and a little scared. He doesn't want anything to do with the baby until when a situation arose and Arthur heelped out with the baby. If your class is discussing family, read this book about a family and a younger siblings.
Cindy
Jul 30, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
During elementary school I was on a mission to read every Arthur book I could get my hands on.

I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Teresa
Oct 31, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
Arthur was not very excited to get another baby sibling. His friends all had advice for him and his sister D.W. was extremely excited to take care of a new baby. When the baby does come D.W. tries to take care of it but Arthur comes to the rescue and of course ends up loving the baby. Great book for a student that is expecting a new sibling.
Holly Chapman
Dec 01, 2012 Holly Chapman rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read for all elementary aged children. Many of them have have parents who a going to have babies and they should be excited about having a new brother or sister. It's a great book to use when talking about families because all families are different and unique. Students could write a book about their families and share them with the class.
Katie Green
Mar 10, 2012 Katie Green rated it really liked it
My students got a kick out of this book. We all predicted what the story was going to be about (who was the baby). It was fun to talk about what are appropriate predictions and what are not. For example, it would not make sense to predict the baby will be a dragon, however it would make sense to predict its D.W.
Ali Jo
Mar 08, 2014 Ali Jo rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Arthur books. I grew up watching Arthur on PBS Kids and I loved reading the books. It has been a long time since I have read this book, but it was great to read this book once again; it brought back memories of my childhood, reading almost all of the Arthur books. Great read for children who love watching Arthur and love new siblings!
Patty
Jan 01, 2012 Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
May 05, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
The addition of a new sibling is often a mixed blessing for youngsters. Reading is a great way to help alleviate some anxiety and there is certainly no shortage of books on the subject. Brown has written yet another one to add to the collection and a cute one to boot.
Megan Coloutti
Mar 01, 2010 Megan Coloutti rated it it was amazing
What happens when Arthur and D.W. have a new little sister? Things do not go as planned for D.W., but all is well when Arthur saves the day to make baby Kate stop crying.
I love Marc Brown, we have most of his books and this is one of my girls favorites!
Marisela Foster
Jun 18, 2012 Marisela Foster rated it really liked it
Shelves: emotions
Review
Great book for parents and teachers to prepare children that are expecting a new baby. This story is nice for children to learn how they can help with a baby.

Learning Experience
Have dolls for children to practice how to feed, burp the baby and change diapers.
Annie
May 04, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
I always watched the TV show Arthur in Elementary school and so I started reading the books then, too. I think making books based on TV shows is a great way to get kids interested in reading. I particularly liked this Arthur book because I always wanted a younger sibling.
Emily Brown
Nov 18, 2012 Emily Brown rated it it was amazing
PB43 - I haven't read an Arthur book in SO long so it was reliving my childhood. I loved it and it would be a great book for a child that is experiencing the same thing, bringing a new sibling into the world.
Rosa Cline
Oct 17, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, baby-siblings
This tells the story of when Baby Kate was born and how DW and Arthur managed it. How DW was super excited but Arthur wasn't quite sure about a new baby and was almost a little scared. But then soon finds out that a baby sister is a wonderful thing.
Abby Chappell
Feb 25, 2015 Abby Chappell rated it it was amazing
I grew up watching Arthur as a kid as well as reading the books. I love Marc Brown as an author and an illustrator. The thing I like about Arthur is that every problem in his life is relatable and each and every character is lovable. The Arthur series will always withhold the test of time.
  • Fox and His Friends
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Teasing
  • Franklin Has a Sleepover
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • George and Martha One Fine Day
  • Just a Bad Day (Little Golden Book)
  • No Jumping on the Bed
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur Meets The President