Start by marking “The Essential Mystics: Selections From The World's Great Wisdom Traditions” as Want to Read:
The Essential Mystics: Selections From The World's Great Wisdom Traditions

The Essential Mystics: Selections From The World's Great Wisdom Traditions

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the celebrated scholar and lecturer Andrew Harvey, a fascinating and inspiring introduction to the essential texts and themes of the great mystics.

Not merely a feast of the greatest and wisest mystical revelations, 'The Essential Mystics' i
Published March 21st 1997 by HarperOne (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Mystics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Mystics

David Palmacci
Mar 08, 2007 David Palmacci rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an open mind
Shelves: nonfiction
Amazingly full of meaning and connection to the truth our lives are more than what we see, that instead we are apart of something beyond what we can imagine in our present consciousness.
The best way to describe this book in my own words is the following; consider the fact there are many religions around the world. Each religion is a sort of path. This book states the principles of those "paths", and when you know the different paths you start to see a map of all of them leading to the same plac
Ron Krumpos
Andrew Harvey has edited this book which is essential to any study of comparative mysticism.

"The Essential Mystics / The Soul’s Journey into Truth" is one of the books in the primary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism" at http://suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf which includes many of its quotations of mystics.

Elizabeth Olson
Andrew Harvey has collected important mystical writings from major faith traditions, with each tradition given its own chapter. For each chapter he's written introductions highlighting particular themes. The collection is impressive in scope and depth, but would be more useful as a resource if an index were included.
Ivan Granger
An excellent anthology from Andrew Harvey. Poetry and brief excerpts from sacred writings among many world traditions: primal cultures, Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Ancient Greece, Christianity, and Islam. Open to any random page and you’ll find an uplifting verse, saying, explanation, or wisdom story.
Sharon Neufer
I am using this book as a daily devotional, reading just one small section each day and reflecting on that. It's pretty dense to read straight through, and I am finding this a better approach for me.
Ron
Meh...Reader's Digest guide to World Religions. Nothing new here, except marketing such a book to our feminine side.
As one reviewer stated, would make a good reference book, if it provided an index...
Steve Wilson
This collection contains some great writings from such a wide range of traditions. I will definitely re-visit this book from time to time.
Carisa
I could not get into this book.
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Scott Wannan-Johnston
Scott Wannan-Johnston marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Sampann Arora
Sampann Arora marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Anne Twine
Anne Twine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Brad
Brad added it
Dec 27, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Radwa Zidane
Radwa Zidane marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Anant
Anant marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Robert
Robert is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Catherine Ghosh
Catherine Ghosh marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Celtic Prayers from Iona: The Heart of Celtic Spirituality
  • The Chakras
  • Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • Wellsprings
  • Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • The Essential Tao
  • The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • The Celtic Way of Prayer: The Recovery of the Religious Imagination
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
  • Visions and Longings: Medieval Women Mystics
  • The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton
  • Jesus in Blue Jeans: A Practical Guide to Everyday Spirituality
Andrew Harvey is an author, religious scholar and teacher of mystic traditions, known primarily for his popular nonfiction books on spiritual or mystical themes, beginning with his 1983 A Journey in Ladakh.

From Wikipeadia
More about Andrew Harvey...
A Journey in Ladakh: Encounters with Buddhism The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism Son of Man Hidden Journey: A Spiritual Awakening The Direct Path: Creating a Personal Journey to the Divine Using the World's Spirtual Traditions