Start by marking “The Essential Mystics: Selections From The World's Great Wisdom Traditions” as Want to Read:
The Essential Mystics: Selections From The World's Great Wisdom Traditions

The Essential Mystics: Selections From The World's Great Wisdom Traditions

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
From the celebrated scholar and lecturer Andrew Harvey, a fascinating and inspiring introduction to the essential texts and themes of the great mystics.

Not merely a feast of the greatest and wisest mystical revelations, 'The Essential Mystics' i
Published March 21st 1997 by HarperOne (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Mystics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Mystics

David Palmacci
Mar 08, 2007 David Palmacci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an open mind
Shelves: nonfiction
Amazingly full of meaning and connection to the truth our lives are more than what we see, that instead we are apart of something beyond what we can imagine in our present consciousness.
The best way to describe this book in my own words is the following; consider the fact there are many religions around the world. Each religion is a sort of path. This book states the principles of those "paths", and when you know the different paths you start to see a map of all of them leading to the same plac
Ron Krumpos
Jul 04, 2014 Ron Krumpos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Harvey has edited this book which is essential to any study of comparative mysticism.

"The Essential Mystics / The Soul’s Journey into Truth" is one of the books in the primary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism" at http://suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf which includes many of its quotations of mystics.

Elizabeth Olson
Andrew Harvey has collected important mystical writings from major faith traditions, with each tradition given its own chapter. For each chapter he's written introductions highlighting particular themes. The collection is impressive in scope and depth, but would be more useful as a resource if an index were included.
Ivan Granger
Jun 02, 2012 Ivan Granger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
An excellent anthology from Andrew Harvey. Poetry and brief excerpts from sacred writings among many world traditions: primal cultures, Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Ancient Greece, Christianity, and Islam. Open to any random page and you’ll find an uplifting verse, saying, explanation, or wisdom story.
Sharon Neufer
I am using this book as a daily devotional, reading just one small section each day and reflecting on that. It's pretty dense to read straight through, and I am finding this a better approach for me.
Ron
Nov 24, 2012 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Meh...Reader's Digest guide to World Religions. Nothing new here, except marketing such a book to our feminine side.
As one reviewer stated, would make a good reference book, if it provided an index...
Steve Wilson
This collection contains some great writings from such a wide range of traditions. I will definitely re-visit this book from time to time.
Carisa
Jan 20, 2009 Carisa rated it did not like it
I could not get into this book.
Michael Chrobak
Michael Chrobak marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Kay Roussel
Kay Roussel marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Isobelle Fox
Isobelle Fox rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Robby
Robby marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Manuel Lopez
Manuel Lopez marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Sea Chapman
Sea Chapman marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Sattva
Sattva rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
isabell  stack
isabell stack marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Amy's Inkwell
Amy's Inkwell marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Beram Slaven
Beram Slaven marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
MichelleMarie
MichelleMarie marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Kelvin
Kelvin added it
Dec 17, 2015
Lily Gordon
Lily Gordon marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Marcus Dixon
Marcus Dixon marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Page Dickey
Page Dickey marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
  • Celtic Prayers from Iona: The Heart of Celtic Spirituality
  • The Chakras
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • The Essential Tao
  • Wellsprings
  • Jesus in Blue Jeans: A Practical Guide to Everyday Spirituality
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • Visions and Longings: Medieval Women Mystics
  • The Celtic Way of Prayer: The Recovery of the Religious Imagination
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • The Essential Writings
  • Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness
  • The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth
Andrew Harvey is an author, religious scholar and teacher of mystic traditions, known primarily for his popular nonfiction books on spiritual or mystical themes, beginning with his 1983 A Journey in Ladakh.

From Wikipeadia
More about Andrew Harvey...