The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales (Modern Library Classics)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The complexity and range of Robert Louis Stevenson�s short fiction reveals his genius perhaps more than any other medium. Here, leading Stevenson scholar Barry Menikoff arranges and introduces the complete selection of Stevenson�s brilliant stories, including the famed masterpiece Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, as well as �The Beach of Falesá� and Steven...more
Published October 8th 2002 by Modern Library (first published December 1st 1961)

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
215th out of 1,590 books — 1,234 voters
Spilt Milk by D.K.CassidyNGLND XPX by Ian HutsonOrchid by Shane K.P. O'NeillPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorLove, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.
Best Fiction Short Stories
22nd out of 338 books — 262 voters

More lists with this book...

Drucilla
Feb 05, 2012 Drucilla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: s
This collection includes Stevenson's better known works and the lesser ones. In my opinion, these lesser known short stories are just as good as Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and maybe even better just because they haven't been as widespread. His stories have a little bit of everything: Sci-Fi, detectives, princes, mysteries and they're not too long if you just want a short read.
Ginny
Now,This book is a real scary and horror one.in my opinion,even Dracula wasn't this scary!!but it's not the events of the story that make it frightening.it's the fear of losing one's good nature to its devil self,that makes you tremble in the end.
This book is full of,full of morality.so that one can't get it all at once and has to think it over and over again.
Celeste
This is not a very uplifting book. We struggled with a desire to read it/finish it because life is already hard enough. We don't need to add in more sad and scary things. But, it does show some interesting characteristics of mankind. The idea that one can somehow indulge in every sinful behavior they desire without detection is very real. This book was written long before the technological advances of television, cell phones, YouTube, and Facebook where individuals can disguise who they are and...more
MacK
The way that classic horror novels are portrayed in movies is remarkably unlike the way that they are in the actual books.

I found that out the hardway when Frankenstien contained exactly zero bolts in his neck. But I found it didn't bother me because the doctors madness was so much more compelling than the monster's mania ever was.

The opposite is true of this book. I knew how it turned out, and was stuck reading it not turn out for page after page after page, and then when it was finally reveale...more
Dayna Smith
The classic science fiction tale of a man who leads the life of a respectable doctor by day and a violent killer at night. This version also includes the following short stories: The Bottle Imp, Markheim, and The Body Snatcher. A must read classic novel for all ages.
lindsay
I couldn't find the exact publication that I read, which was "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and other Short Stories". The 'other short stories' were The Suicide Club, Markheim, the Body Snatcher, and one other story I can't recall but which was written like Scottish brogue and awfully difficult to read. For the most part they're about the struggle between good and evil. I enjoyed them all, although the endings weren't terribly imaginative. I think the Suicide Club was my favorite.
Hyeon Jeong
This book really make me dizzy..I don't really understand the story until I read it over and over again..The book shows the good and bad side of a human can be..I really drown into the story when I read it as I try to imagine it..The cruel Mr. Hyde can be a nice guy,, Dr. Jekyll..But I hate the end of the story when they both died..I just one Dr. Jekyll still alive..
Joseph Grinton
This is a writer I admire enormously. His stories are full of surprises. He can be intellectually quite challenging, but what an imagination! I love the way he plays with the form of the short story. He is not self-indulgent with it. He always respects the reader, which means he never disappoints.
JJ
Finally read this classic. It was good but I struggled with the language. Couple of other stories added in that were hit or miss.
Mike
I read this during my Gothic Blitz. Very good. As usual, much better than movies, or the summary of the plot as shared verbally.
Becca
Creepy and creepily realistic. Good v. evil, instinct v. correct societal reactions--a lot in a short number of pages.
Heather
At less than 100 pages, this can be read in one sitting. Great classic, suspensefully spooky story.
Cynthia
Anything this man wrote is worth reading even if the subject is awful. Amazing writer!!
Sharon
I loved a lot of quotes in this book- definitely worthy of being a classic.
Johanna
Strange and depressing but ultimately an exposure of our sin nature.
Kiky Kartini
Jul 19, 2012 Kiky Kartini is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know. I'm not already finish it yet.
Tanvi ganu
Its a nice mystery book!!!
Kelly
Quick read and worth it.
Jessica
Delicious! I like this a lot.
Starlight Farron
Starlight Farron marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Caroleequinton
Caroleequinton marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
  • The Collected Stories
  • Heart Of Darkness And Selections From The Congo Diary
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • The Old Man and the Sea/The Sun Also Rises/A Farewell to Arms/For Whom the Bell Tolls
  • Hamlet: An Authoritative Text, Intellectual Backgrounds, Extracts from the Sources, Essays in Criticism (Norton Critical Edition)
  • Too Far Afield
  • The Distracted Preacher and Other Tales
  • Mr. Fortune's Maggot
  • Heaven's Command: An Imperial Progress (The Pax Britannica Trilogy, #1)
  • Collected Stories of Guy De Maupassant
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory
  • Mark Twain: The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It (Library of America #21)
  • The Riverside Milton
  • Find Me, Keep Me
  • Hal Spacejock
  • Stories by O. Henry (Walmart)
  • The Collected Stories
  • The Stechlin
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of Neo-romanticism in English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of...more
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...
Treasure Island The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1) A Child's Garden of Verses