Start by marking “The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  394 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The complexity and range of Robert Louis Stevenson’s short fiction reveals his genius perhaps more than any other medium. Here, leading Stevenson scholar Barry Menikoff arranges and introduces the complete selection of Stevenson’s brilliant stories, including the famed masterpiece Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, as well as “The Beach of Falesá” and Stevenson’s pre ...more
Published October 8th 2002 by Modern Library (first published December 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
249th out of 2,127 books — 1,585 voters
The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeSewing Can Be Dangerous and Other Small Threads by S.R. MalleryCuriosity kills the KatHA by Ashok  KallarakkalLove, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.Papap's Teeth by Danielle DeVor
Best Fiction Short Stories
45th out of 508 books — 368 voters

More lists with this book...

Drucilla
Feb 05, 2012 Drucilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: s
This collection includes Stevenson's better known works and the lesser ones. In my opinion, these lesser known short stories are just as good as Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and maybe even better just because they haven't been as widespread. His stories have a little bit of everything: Sci-Fi, detectives, princes, mysteries and they're not too long if you just want a short read.
lindsay
Apr 23, 2008 lindsay rated it really liked it
I couldn't find the exact publication that I read, which was "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and other Short Stories". The 'other short stories' were The Suicide Club, Markheim, the Body Snatcher, and one other story I can't recall but which was written like Scottish brogue and awfully difficult to read. For the most part they're about the struggle between good and evil. I enjoyed them all, although the endings weren't terribly imaginative. I think the Suicide Club was my favorite.
Hyeon Jeong
Nov 22, 2010 Hyeon Jeong rated it liked it
This book really make me dizzy..I don't really understand the story until I read it over and over again..The book shows the good and bad side of a human can be..I really drown into the story when I read it as I try to imagine it..The cruel Mr. Hyde can be a nice guy,, Dr. Jekyll..But I hate the end of the story when they both died..I just one Dr. Jekyll still alive..
Joseph Grinton
May 22, 2010 Joseph Grinton rated it it was amazing
This is a writer I admire enormously. His stories are full of surprises. He can be intellectually quite challenging, but what an imagination! I love the way he plays with the form of the short story. He is not self-indulgent with it. He always respects the reader, which means he never disappoints.
Mike
Jun 26, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
I read this during my Gothic Blitz. Very good. As usual, much better than movies, or the summary of the plot as shared verbally.
Cynthia
Aug 16, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Anything this man wrote is worth reading even if the subject is awful. Amazing writer!!
Tanvi ganu
Aug 06, 2009 Tanvi ganu rated it liked it
Its a nice mystery book!!!
Jessica
Jan 16, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Delicious! I like this a lot.
Mollie
Nov 12, 2012 Mollie rated it liked it
Y
Faisalna Faisalna
Faisalna Faisalna marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Taylor Chorley
Taylor Chorley marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
A. Dawes
A. Dawes marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Krzysztof
Krzysztof rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Antoinette
Antoinette marked it as to-read
chayidianx
chayidianx rated it liked it
Baque Wiggin
Baque Wiggin marked it as to-read
Louise Watt
Louise Watt rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Greg Jolley
Greg Jolley rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Marimar González
Marimar González marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Nicola Palmer
Nicola Palmer marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Grace Ventura
Grace Ventura marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Verity Salter
Verity Salter rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Raoul Veken
Raoul Veken marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Zehra
Zehra marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Jayita Patra
Jayita Patra marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Marty Moore
Marty Moore rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Mary Daniels
Mary Daniels rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
  • The Arden Shakespeare Complete Works
  • Heart of Darkness: and Selections from The Congo Diary
  • Abba Abba
  • Historical Romances
  • The Collected Stories
  • Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren
  • Rumpole and the younger generation
  • The New York Stories of Henry James
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella
  • Too Far Afield
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • Temná hlídka (Hlídka)
  • Don Carlos and Mary Stuart
  • The Old Man and the Sea/The Sun Also Rises/A Farewell to Arms/For Whom the Bell Tolls
  • The Distracted Preacher
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • Mr. Fortune's Maggot; and, The Salutation
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...

“Old and young, we are all on our last cruise.” 0 likes