The Road To Home (South Africa Series, #1)

The Road To Home (South Africa Series #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  17 reviews
South African journalist Monica Brunetti had it all - promising career, loving family, marriage-minded boyfriend. Then a life-changing encounter landed her in a hospital bed next to gregarious Ella Nkhoma, whose wit and caring challenged Monica's worldview. Their remarkable friendship would lead Monica far from the gated white suburbs, and toward a parting that left both w...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Steeple Hill (first published 2005)

Evelyn
Once again, a first novel. Story takes place in South Africa, involving a young woman who befriends a black woman, much to everyone's dismay. Story was fine, but the writing was very simple. It was ok, and I did finish it!
Alison
This is mainly the story about the friendship of two women, one white(Monica, a Journalist) one black,( Ella, a former ANC activist and mother of 2 young boys) set in 1998 against the fascinating backdrop of post-apartheid South Africa (1998). They meet in a hospital where one has come after a carjacking and the other because of Aids. They both are trying to figure out what is important in their lives and become close friends. I got quite a feel for the situation taking place in South Africa at...more
Deb
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]enter the world of modern day south africa as seen through the eyes of two women. one is a white journalist named monica who becomes the victim of a brutal carjacking while returning from a routine assignment. the other is a black mother named ella struggling to raise her two kids while hiding the fact that she has aids. these two women never would have met if they hadn't been put in adjoining beds at the ho...more
Rebecca
White Journalist in South Africa Befriends Black Woman Dying of AIDS During the time of Apartheid.

SPOILER ALERT: After a carjacking, Monica meets Ella while recovering in the hospital. Confronted with truths of apartheid Monica never knew existed while growing up in a safe and gated white suburb, they become fast friends. Throughout their friendship, Monica discovers her true path in life and makes some difficult decisions about her future. Later, Monica is shocked to discover that Ella has AID...more
Beth Heggan
Good story about apartheid in South Africa. I really enjoyed the characters. They seemed very real. Shows how people from "different sides of the track" can become like family. Talks about the aids crisis in Africa and puts faces to the disease. We learn they are not just statistics. Just found out this is the first of a series. I will definitely be reading the others.
Angie
Interesting perspectivs on apartheid. Two narrators - one white, one black... one non-Christian (at first), one full of faith.. I was disappointed w the ending, but it left it open ended for the author to begin a series. I don't know that I liked it enough to read more though.
Lindy
A great look into South Africa during the upheaval of the 90s- a look into the lives of 2 women and how they cope with the crime and AIDS there. I was just looking into conditions in South Africa now, and it does not appear that much has changed- how disappointing.
Carolyn
This story takes place in Post Apartheid South Africa and the main characters are a white
woman and an african woman. They meet in the hospital and forge a friendship that transforms their lives in the new era. This book won a Christy award. I liked it.
Kathleen
Monica Brunetti and Ella Nkhoma, thrown together in a Soweto hospitl, don't seem to have much in common. But their friendship builds and gets better. Set shortly after apartheid ends, makes you think about your own views of race and friends.
Debra
Gotta admit, I'm not much of a reader of Christian fiction, but this was okay. I enjoyed the portrayal of various cultures within South Africa, but the faith aspect seemed forced.
Brianna
Despite the preachiness feel, the half-forced APPRECIATE YOUR LIFE! tone, of this book, I did manage to get something out of it.

And I enjoyed the relationship between the two women.
Katrina
I loved this book! Loved the topic, the two different points of view, and the overall positivity. I will definitely look for other books by this author.
Tracy
Interesting setting (South Africa), with strong female characters. I'm going to try another in the series to see if it keeps my attention.
Cathy
May 29, 2007 Cathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
another one I checked out today
Lori
This one was good but it made you think. It's an easy read for someone who is interested in the mission field. However it is a work of fiction.
Tammy
Loved this series.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Melody Phillips
Melody Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lindsay Eckert
Lindsay Eckert marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Sarah C
Sarah C marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Yolandi
Yolandi marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Family In Full (South Africa Series, #3) Fly Away Home (South Africa Series, #4) Sandpiper Drift (South Africa Series, #2) Coco goes to Rome (Adventures of Coco #2) Coco on Safari