Start by marking “The Road To Home (South Africa Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Road To Home (South Africa Series, #1)

The Road To Home (South Africa Series #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
South African journalist Monica Brunetti had it all - promising career, loving family, marriage-minded boyfriend. Then a life-changing encounter landed her in a hospital bed next to gregarious Ella Nkhoma, whose wit and caring challenged Monica's worldview. Their remarkable friendship would lead Monica far from the gated white suburbs, and toward a parting that left both w ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Steeple Hill (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Road To Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road To Home

Evelyn
Jun 16, 2011 Evelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Once again, a first novel. Story takes place in South Africa, involving a young woman who befriends a black woman, much to everyone's dismay. Story was fine, but the writing was very simple. It was ok, and I did finish it!
Deb
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]enter the world of modern day south africa as seen through the eyes of two women. one is a white journalist named monica who becomes the victim of a brutal carjacking while returning from a routine assignment. the other is a black mother named ella struggling to raise her two kids while hiding the fact that she has aids. these two women never would have met if they hadn't been put in adjoining beds at the ho ...more
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
White Journalist in South Africa Befriends Black Woman Dying of AIDS During the time of Apartheid.

SPOILER ALERT: After a carjacking, Monica meets Ella while recovering in the hospital. Confronted with truths of apartheid Monica never knew existed while growing up in a safe and gated white suburb, they become fast friends. Throughout their friendship, Monica discovers her true path in life and makes some difficult decisions about her future. Later, Monica is shocked to discover that Ella has AID
Alison
Sep 26, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, series
This is mainly the story about the friendship of two women, one white(Monica, a Journalist) one black,( Ella, a former ANC activist and mother of 2 young boys) set in 1998 against the fascinating backdrop of post-apartheid South Africa (1998). They meet in a hospital where one has come after a carjacking and the other because of Aids. They both are trying to figure out what is important in their lives and become close friends. I got quite a feel for the situation taking place in South Africa at ...more
Melissa
Interesting book about a black woman with AIDS and a white woman who had been shot, set in South Africa.
Beth Heggan
Feb 02, 2013 Beth Heggan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story about apartheid in South Africa. I really enjoyed the characters. They seemed very real. Shows how people from "different sides of the track" can become like family. Talks about the aids crisis in Africa and puts faces to the disease. We learn they are not just statistics. Just found out this is the first of a series. I will definitely be reading the others.
Angie
Sep 11, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspectivs on apartheid. Two narrators - one white, one black... one non-Christian (at first), one full of faith.. I was disappointed w the ending, but it left it open ended for the author to begin a series. I don't know that I liked it enough to read more though.
Lindy
Jan 10, 2009 Lindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great look into South Africa during the upheaval of the 90s- a look into the lives of 2 women and how they cope with the crime and AIDS there. I was just looking into conditions in South Africa now, and it does not appear that much has changed- how disappointing.
Carolyn
Feb 19, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in Post Apartheid South Africa and the main characters are a white
woman and an african woman. They meet in the hospital and forge a friendship that transforms their lives in the new era. This book won a Christy award. I liked it.
Kathleen
Jun 20, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monica Brunetti and Ella Nkhoma, thrown together in a Soweto hospitl, don't seem to have much in common. But their friendship builds and gets better. Set shortly after apartheid ends, makes you think about your own views of race and friends.
Debra
Aug 07, 2012 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta admit, I'm not much of a reader of Christian fiction, but this was okay. I enjoyed the portrayal of various cultures within South Africa, but the faith aspect seemed forced.
Brianna
Despite the preachiness feel, the half-forced APPRECIATE YOUR LIFE! tone, of this book, I did manage to get something out of it.

And I enjoyed the relationship between the two women.
Katrina
Oct 09, 2008 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Loved the topic, the two different points of view, and the overall positivity. I will definitely look for other books by this author.
Tracy
Sep 29, 2010 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting setting (South Africa), with strong female characters. I'm going to try another in the series to see if it keeps my attention.
Cathy
May 29, 2007 Cathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
another one I checked out today
Lori
Jul 22, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was good but it made you think. It's an easy read for someone who is interested in the mission field. However it is a work of fiction.
Dorothy Persch
Aug 25, 2008 Dorothy Persch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book
Tammy
May 01, 2009 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series.
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Sandra Myers
Sandra Myers marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Naz Ferniba
Naz Ferniba rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Kae
Kae marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Aprillivesbooks
Aprillivesbooks marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Linda Donohue
Linda Donohue marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
riki
riki rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
André Eerden
André Eerden marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

South Africa Series (4 books)
  • Sandpiper Drift (South Africa Series, #2)
  • A Family In Full (South Africa Series, #3)
  • Fly Away Home (South Africa Series, #4)