Start by marking “Promises, Promises” as Want to Read:
Promises, Promises

Promises, Promises

The village of Glenree is home to the Munroe women, including from the glamorous new in-law, Emma; the homely Miriam; and airs-and-graces Sheila, who is forced to watch her own daughter Ellen become the talk of the county. The saying "love is blind" could have been invented for the wayward Ellen, whose life changes for ever when she leaves the ebony darkness and winding co ...more
Published April 2nd 2007 by Transworld Publishers (first published July 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises, Promises

Julie Haigh
Sep 08, 2013 Julie Haigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!

This is a two part story so it's really a must to read Mirror,Mirror also. I had not heard of Patricia Scanlan before and really bought the set of two books because they were on special offer but this author should be at the top of the bestseller lists because I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of her writing. It's a family story where a girl falls for a rotter and, for a time, things seem to go his way and he comes up smelling of roses
Weaverannie
Sep 07, 2013 Weaverannie rated it liked it
Shelves: family, dutch
De familie Munroe telt drie vrouwen: moeder Sheila, die zich belangrijk voelt door in het bestuur van de vrouwenorganisatie van Glenree te zitten, daar vooral veel voor de bakken en te braden en zich vooral 'goed gedraagt'.
Haar schoondochter Miriam. Slecht behandeld door haar eigen familie, omdat ze nooit nee zei en door haar vader en broers als voetveeg werd gebruikt. Nu is ze gelukkig met haar man en kinderen en is de beste vriendin van haar schoonzusje.
Haar dochter Ellen. Ze woont nog thuis,
Nicki
Jul 23, 2015 Nicki rated it it was amazing
I love Patricia Scanlan's books. She and Sheila O'flanagan are the only two women's writers who are consistently good and never seem to write duds.
This is more of the same. Perfect comfort reading about relatable women and situations.
This one is mainly about Ellen who falls for the vile Chris. But also her sister in laws Miriam and Emma. And interfering mother in law Sheila.
Sheila really annoyed the hell out of me, but I think that's the idea.
I purchased the next book in the series and have
Jillean Whyte
Feb 15, 2014 Jillean Whyte rated it it was amazing
After reading and loving the City series by Patricia Scanlan, it was my mission to find more books by this lady fast becoming my fav author. This book has surpassed my expectations, you can totally imagine you or someone you know being the characters. It is so well written, not a page is weary or added without reason. Fantastic book, bought its sequel half way through this book. Love, love, loved it.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
wow, if I could have given this book more than 5 stars, I would have; i loved loved loved this book.
It was so full of drama but it all turned out right in the end which is how I like books to end, because I'm a softy, like Ellen, (not saying I'd let men treat me like she did though. I felt very very sorry for her throughout the novel.)
And, how the 'upper class" people were in this book made me so angry.
Anyway, I found it very hard to put this book down to get on with life. I had no problems wha
Daisy Mbugua
Mar 01, 2015 Daisy Mbugua rated it really liked it
great writing, I feel like I am one of the characters in the book too bad I didn't specifically identify with any of them just a few similarities with both Ellen and Emma but otherwise great story wish I can find more like this.
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Marina Howe
Marina Howe rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Heather Murphy
Heather Murphy rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Shiney
Shiney rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Alison Mclean
Alison Mclean rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Courtney McLaurin
Courtney McLaurin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Bahati Baseme
Bahati Baseme rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Simar
Simar marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Adele
Adele rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Trisha McAnerney
Trisha McAnerney rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
mary magee
mary magee is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2016
Paulet Ratner
Paulet Ratner rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Catherine Morris
Catherine Morris rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Mical
Mical marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Bernie Dunne
Bernie Dunne rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Amanda Whitby
Amanda Whitby rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Michelle Symes
Michelle Symes rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Jane Carson
Jane Carson rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
  • Time for a Change
  • Anything for Amelia
  • The Fraud
  • With Angel's Wings
  • Tuna on Toast, Sister Clotildis, UFOs and Other Things I Survived: Growing Up in the '70s in Portland
  • Paw Prints In Oman: Dogs, Mogs and Me
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • Love & Justice: A Compelling True Story Of Triumph Over Tragedy
  • Walking over Eggshells by Lucinda Clarke
  • Jade: Fighting to the End: My Autobiography 1981–2009
  • One Summer In France
  • Just One More Day: A Memoir
  • All Of Me
Patricia Scanlan was born in Dublin, where she still lives. While working as a librarian she started to write, and now has a full-time career as a bestselling author.
More about Patricia Scanlan...