Start by marking “Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde, #1-3)

Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde #1-3)

Long before Buffy showed the world how tough girls could be and Laurell K Hamilton shows us that you could have a vampire (or werewolf) for a boyfriend, Mercedes Lackey created Diana Tregarde. Diana is a Guardian charged with saving innocents and destroying evil wherever she finds it. Because if she doesn't, evil will find her—and kill her first.

In Children of the Night, D
Published 2006 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Diana Tregarde Investigates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diana Tregarde Investigates

Mike
Oct 31, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
What a surprise! I am a huge Lackey fan - I've read everything ever printed set in Valdemar, and most of her other books too, including the collaborations - and for whatever reason, I had never heard of Diana Tregarde. Recently, though, while wasting time on the internet, I found a reference to something Lackey wrote called "The Last Straw."

My interest piqued, I hunted it down and was a little surprised to see what could only be termed an online temper tantrum. (Not saying I blamed her, exactly,
Susan
Apr 13, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club, 2003
Anyone else out there sure that Misty is kicking herself over her blatant refusal to write any more Tregarde considering the recent paranormal popularity? Of course, Andre would have had to be a more central character....

re-read trilogy (again) in March 2011... the original covers were God-Awe-ful! the Hugh Syme covers were gorgeous and why do we have the Chris McGrath rip-offs everywyere?
Lebora
Feb 12, 2015 Lebora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally discovered the Diana Tregarde stories when I was in high school. Years later I was excited when I found this particular addition that included all three books in the series. While I am a HUGE Mercedes Lackey fan, these books are among my absolute favorites.

Diana Tregarde is a great, down to earth, heroine who deals with bills, magic, and personal tragedy with an air of competence and determination that makes her character likable. Children of the Night, the first story in the trilog
Aaron Meyer
Feb 17, 2013 Aaron Meyer marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
So far I have only read one novel in this collection of three so this review will be updated in due time...
Children of the night
The book is set during the early-mid seventies in New York City. You have a vampire, psychic vampires, a Japanese monster, witches and gypsy's, go figure eh? The story of decent and could of been better if the lead character Diana wasn't so weepy and always breaking down. Sure I know she had to work through things from a previous incident, which must I would hope come i
Lauren
Oct 03, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok
I started to read this and then found myself lose interest half the way through. I found the first book rather enjoyable and started to get hung up on the second. It just seemed to draw on for no particular reason. The characters were more shallow and fluffy than most of Lackey's books. She is one of those authors who has books that range from almost too intence to seemingly novice - this was definitely the latter. I also found it odd that her website had them in the wrong chronological order ...more
Frank
Jul 21, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
Diana Tregarde Investigates comprises the three volumes of Mercedes Lackey's 1989-1991 Diana Tregarde trilogy - Children of the Night, Burning River, and Jinx High. The compilation presents the books in a logical order rather than in print release order.

Diana Tregarde is a witch/sorcerer, Guardian whose has the job of protecting a sction of the world from malevolent spirits, witches/sorcerers, and demons. Each of thesewell-written and entertaining stories cover one of these cases. The stories ha
Aaron Fk
Jul 27, 2011 Aaron Fk rated it liked it
These stories were pretty good, but not great. They are essentially detective novels with a fantasy twist. Diana Tregarde is witch (in the movie sense of witchcraft) who consults for a police department on a series of murders and associated mayhem. She has the typical attraction to the lead detective, even if he can't possibly understand what being a witch is.
This are a different direction for Mercedes Lackey as she typically writes fantasy novels-knights, goblins, and the like. She is a remark
Mark Isaak
Fairly good characters and background. I am not totally convinced Lackey does not make up the rules for magic as she goes along, but at least she is not blatant about it. One of the novels within this collection of three does get resolved by a literal deus ex machina, but in a way that works for the story. And the action leading up to the end is at least as important as the end itself.

I found Lackey's style of expressing her character's thoughts essentially as lines of dialog to be off-putting,
Michelle
Jun 03, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
I quite liked the first book of this 3 book compilation, but the second and third were disappointing.
The main difference was that the first book was told primarily from Diana's perspective, while the other 2 were told by the perspective of not terribly interesting secondary characters. The result was to make the title character 2-dimentional.
Cat
Jan 06, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing
I love them, but Jynx high is not for the weak of stomach. Not that any of them really are, but I definitely had to wonder about her inspiration a bit during a few scenes.
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2011
Pernin
Pernin rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2009
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2012
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2014
Panya Bomouse
Panya Bomouse rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Tamara Catlin
Tamara Catlin rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2011
Devon
Devon rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Evin Carvill-ziemer
Evin Carvill-ziemer rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Bookfaster
Bookfaster rated it it was ok
May 11, 2014
Aurora Reynolds
Aurora Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Dale Donovan
Dale Donovan rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Joyce Yang
Joyce Yang rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Jamilah
Jamilah rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Chrysann
Chrysann rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Pepper
Pepper rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
lizzie
lizzie rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Chip Brazell
Chip Brazell rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2013
  • Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files Omnibus #2)
  • PartnerShip/The Ship Who Searched/The City Who Fought
  • Sword and Sorceress III
  • Dead Witches Tell No Tales (The Hollows, #3-4)
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • The Unexpected Dragon (Pigs Don't Fly, #2-4)
  • Horse Fantastic
  • Bulls Rush In (Pax Arcana #0.06)
  • Never Burn a Witch (A Rowan Gant Investigation #2)
  • Death of an Adept (Adept, #5)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 1 (Vampire Files, #1-3)
  • Tales of the Witch World 1
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Diana Tregarde (5 books)
  • Arcanum 101
  • Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation)
  • Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1)
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
  • Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3)