Start by marking “Hartley Field” as Want to Read:
Hartley Field

Hartley Field

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The poems in Hartley Field are by turns witty and amusing, lyrical and moving. But always they are clear and -direct.

Wanek writes clever, closely observed poems on subjects as diverse as "Butter" and "The Hammer," work which is in the tradition of Francis Ponge and Pablo Neruda. These are often humorous and are enormous fun to read. Similarly, a number of poems focus upon
Published September 1st 2002 by Holy Cow! Press

To ask other readers questions about Hartley Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hartley Field

Lindsey
This is the second volume I've read by Connie Wanek, and it was just as wonderful as her more recent collection, "On Speaking Terms." While reading that book, I simply enjoyed getting a feel for her voice; this time, though, I found myself more aware of her ability to capture everyday images with such startling clarity.

Her similes, in particular, are astounding for their pitch-perfect language for whatever it is she's describing. For example, she compares an overripe raspberry to "a dress shoe,
MaryAnn F
Nov 18, 2007 MaryAnn F rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: poetry
No poet I've read is better at fully exploring the potential range of associations and images around the given subject. A lovely book, accessible and rich!
Theodora
Jan 23, 2008 Theodora marked it as to-read
Shelves: local
One of my favorite Duluth poets. Connie Wanek rocks!
Crystal
I wasn't sure about this at first, but Wanek won me over.
Ann M
Jan 27, 2010 Ann M marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry
I'm enjoying many of these poems.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Diane S.
Diane S. marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Mouse
Mouse marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2011
Rick Edwards
Rick Edwards marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2011
Tameca
Tameca marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2010
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2010
Connie Wanke was born in Madison, Wisconsin, and grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico. In 1989 she moved with her family to Duluth, Minnesota where she now lives.

Her work appeared in Poetry, The Atlantic Monthly, The Virginia Quarterly Review, Quarterly West, Poetry East, Prairie Schooner, Missouri Review.

Wanek has published three books of poetry, and served as co-editor of the comprehensive histori
More about Connie Wanek...
On Speaking Terms To Sing Along the Way: Minnesota Women Poets from Pre-Territorial Days to the Present Bonfire