Start by marking “Body Image Breakthrough: Learning to See Your Body and Your Beauty In a Whole New Light” as Want to Read:

Stop sacrificing to the idol of the perfect woman. "Body Image Breakthrough" breaks down body image issues so you can live each day as Heavenly Father intended.
Published June 10th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media (first published May 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Body Image Breakthrough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Image Breakthrough

Emily
Jun 16, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Body Image Breakthrough is a short but powerful exploration of the concept and real-life implications of good and bad body image, communicated in the language of LDS Church doctrine and faith.

Wightman uses scriptural stories from Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego's refusal to bow down to Nebuchadnezzer's statue to the Fall of Adam and Eve to illustrate how our modern culture sets us all up, though women and girls in particular, to worship the idol of outward appearance and to feel destructive sham
Julie
Jun 12, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
This was everything I hoped it would be. I loved it so much. It's written Elder Bednar-style, where you read a chapter then look up scriptures, ponder, journal.... which really helps you to internalize it. It's all about body image, but really my favorite part of it is how it teaches you to go to the Savior for help with ANYTHING.

Other things I loved about it: it really made me aware of how much time during the day I spend thinking about/taking care of my body compared to learning, serving....
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
There are times in life when a book gives the message that you need to know. For me, at this time, this book has given me a lot to think about and see the need for change. I like that the book doesn't take the stance of being the mirror image of someone else. You must be a certain dress size to be fit, you must look a certain way.. This book is about becoming a better me, but doing it in a Christ centered way.

One of the thoughts from the beginning of the book caught my attention. "Since only 4%
Katie W
Jun 09, 2014 Katie W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I thought I had a pretty good image of myself, but after reading this book, I realize that I have a lot to work on, as most of us do. It's so easy in today's day and age to get caught up in what the world deems beautiful and perfect and in doing so, it's easy to neglect the truly important things in life--family, spirituality, and happiness.

Ms. Wightman made several very interesting points--how much time a day do you spend either thinking about your body (what's wrong with it, how to improve, e
Shauna
Jun 09, 2014 Shauna rated it it was amazing
This book was SO MUCH MORE than I imagined it could be!
Not only did it dispel some myths, but it brought HOPE to my search for understanding.

I, like most women, have a poor image of my body.

I look in the mirror and say with much sadness, 'this is as good as it gets' just like Mia from the movie Princess Diaries.

This book explains why we as women feel that way and gives clear guidance in how to overcome those feelings.

Using AMAZING scripture references and PERSONAL examples Jaci Wightman writes a
Nicole Handy
I ran across this book as I've been thinking about ways to help my girls have good body "self-esteem" as they grow up. It was okay. She had some great thoughts that I took away from it, but for me it was a little too "churchy." which is awful to say because I am "churchy." I liked the way she talks about fasting from those things that make us feel bad about ourselves (i.e. magazines, billboards). A few of her scripture references seem like a stretch to me and I had a hard time when she wrote ...more
Sandra
Aug 29, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book about the importance of appreciating our bodies for the gift that they are instead of always trying to change them into something the world thinks we should be. I loved the way she used the scriptures through out her book to help us see more clearly through God's eyes.
Jenny
May 19, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I read it too quickly--I'm going to read it slower now, take notes, and do the activities at the end of the chapters. I learned so much!
Emily S.
Emily S. rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Meag
Meag rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Ileah
Ileah rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Koryn
Koryn rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Camille Young
Camille Young rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Trinna
Trinna marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Natalie Carroll
Natalie Carroll marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Lindsey Lewis
Lindsey Lewis marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Laken Jacobs
Laken Jacobs marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Ileah
Ileah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Nicole Neff
Nicole Neff marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Brookann
Brookann is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Julie Bennett
Julie Bennett marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Stacey Ontiveros
Stacey Ontiveros marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Lindsey Mecham
Lindsey Mecham marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Katra
Katra marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Elizabeth Rose
Elizabeth Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Jennifer Schrock
Jennifer Schrock marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Suzie
Suzie added it
Sep 03, 2016
Jaci Green Wightman (pronounced JAY-see) was raised in five different states before meeting her husband, Greg, during her freshman year of college. Together, they’re enjoying the daunting task of raising seven children born in just eight years. In 2012, Jaci finally graduated from BYU-Idaho with a degree in University Studies, 21 years after postponing her schooling to start a family. Underneath ...more
More about Jaci Wightman...