Poor Man's Orange

Poor Man's Orange (Harp in the South #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  18 reviews
First published in 1949 as the sequel to the award-winning "The Harp in the South", this novel continues the story of the Darcy family of Sydney. The author also wrote "Swords and Crowns and Rings", which won the Miles Franklin Award.
Published January 1st 1987 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1949)

Sean Kennedy
The Harp in the South trilogy can be called a bittersweet one, but PMO takes it even further. There is a lot of tragedy in this final volume, but Park's writing is a testimony to the hard knocks that life gives us, but how we struggle on regardless, even though we wonder why we do so. The poor man's orange has been tasted by everyone, and I think this book would resonate with all readers.
Nia Simone
This book was recommended to me and I read it without having read its predecessor, in the trilogy.

In Poor Man's Orange, we start off right in the middle of the family. The style has a slice-of-life feel. And it's subtle. I didn't immediately know who the hero and heroine were for a long time.

Charlie's transformation is so fantastic. I hate these lazily written books where the hero just has a sudden thought that he loves her and so he’ll be totally different now and become the man we want the he...more
Sharmayne
I fell head over heels in love with the Darcy family and with Ruth Park's use of language. Beautifully written.
Jenny Horvath
loved these books..
Carofish
Will review later
Amy
Well its a classic for a reason. Real, in a way that few books are, but keeping its sense of humour, and with a transporting sense of time and place. The characters are big without being too much larger than life, and the ending is as good as we're going to get. You will cry, and you will get angry but Ruth Park should be read by everyone because she is fantastic.
Brendan Brooks
Australia's John Steinbeck, writing intimately about the forlorn lives of Post-Depression Surry Hills slum Sydney. Heartbreaking desolation, drudge and despair, intense characters and narrative, the third of a the Darcy trilogy, perhaps slightly less strong that Harp in the South, an essential read for all Australians.
Brenda Kittelty
Beautiful writing but just so awfully grim and hopeless. Harp in the South had some hope and happiness, but Poor Man's Orange was much, much darker. These three novels are such a wonderful documentation of a facet of Australian life that is often ignored and swept under the carpet.
Karren
I think I enjoyed this last one of the Harp in the South trilogy the best
Colleen Stone
Somewhat melodramatic ... But historically accurate and very moving. I love the Darcy family. Reading this series as a young woman helped me to understand my parents and my grand parents generation.
Jill
Third of the Harp in the South series. Just loved it
Jane
There's an awful lot of heartbreak in here. Sometimes so much it makes it hard to keep reading.
Rod Hunt
A great continuation of the story - a soapie really with some good social commentary.
Anita Waclawik
I had to read this book in high school. Most depressing read ever.
Elizabeth Borden
A bit soggy, probably because I dropped it in the bath.
Victoria
Brilliant! I love Ruth Park's writing. Just read it.
Jan Q
Brilliant sequel to Harp in the South.
Sharon
a good follow up to harp in the south.
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Caspar Daw
Caspar Daw marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jan O'C
Jan O'C marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
  • A Fortunate Life
  • My Place
  • The Merry-Go-Round in the Sea
  • All The Rivers Run
Ruth Park was a New Zealand-born author, who spent most of her life in Australia. She was born in Auckland, and her family later moved to Te Kuiti further south in the North Island of New Zealand, where they lived in isolated areas.

During the Great Depression her working class father worked on bush roads, as a driver, on relief work, as a sawmill hand, and finally shifted back to Auckland as counc...more
More about Ruth Park...
Playing Beatie Bow The Harp In The South The Muddle-Headed Wombat My Sister Sif Missus