Start by marking “The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty, #6)

The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty #6)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  11 reviews
1670 - Charles II and James II

Morland Place has flourished under Ralph's stewardship, while Annunciata is a great lady of the Court. Splendid futures seem to be promised for her children; but the religious rift opened by Henry VIII has never been fully healed, and conflict resurfaces at the accession of the Catholic James II. Frightening times ensue, when it is impossible
Published June 1st 1994 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published July 14th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Shadow

The Vizard Mask by Diana NormanThe Long Shadow by Cynthia Harrod-EaglesThe Black Pearl by Cynthia Harrod-EaglesThe Winter Prince by Cheryl SawyerPrince Rupert by Charles Spencer
Prince Rupert of the Rhine
2nd out of 19 books — 3 voters
The Wandering Prince (Stuart Saga, #4) by Jean PlaidyThe King's Favorite by Susan Holloway ScottMary Queen of Scotland and The Isles by Margaret GeorgeThe Royal Road to Fotheringhay (Stuart Saga, #1) by Jean PlaidyThe Captive Queen of Scots (Stuart Saga, #2) by Jean Plaidy
House of Stuart
39th out of 41 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth Martel
This is the 6th book in the Morland Dynasty, and my favourite since the first. The political intrigue was simple enough for me to understand, and it is now moving into a period I've never previously studied. Keeps an interesting balance between the lives and loves of the Morlands themselves, the social history of the period, and the historical and political events of the time.
Edith Clayton
Nov 14, 2009 Edith Clayton rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of British historical fiction
#6 in the Moreland Dynasty series. This one, like the last (and apparently the next), revolves around Annunciata, a beautiful & selfish bitch. I guess one of the things I like about this series is that the characters are realistically flawed, but still I wish there was not so much focus on such an unlikeable character! ...I'm still looking forward to the next in the series.
Heidi

The blurb for The Long Shadow is rather misleading. It talks about the reign of James II as though that forms the bulk of the book, when it's probably less than the final hundred pages. Which in a way is nice, as life for all the Morlands and their connections is better under Charles II than under his brother's four-year reign.

I will say this book killed any liking I had left for Annunciata. Yet again there are few really likeable characters in this series: Hugo got on my nerves, and even Elizab
N
SPOILER ALERT ********

I love the history in the Morland Dynasty series . This book disappoints simply because of the way Annunciata is drawn. She's depicted as being extremely self centred ,masterful & ambitious even by the standards of that particularly difficult period .And a truly atrocious mother! Every time she thinks she's found true love & every time finds some ridiculous reason to fall out of love (in this book).How does one fall in love with a man you helped raise as a child? O
Frances Fuller
So glad there are 29 to go.
Olimpia
Terrible typos!!!!

how dare Amazon sell this book for over $10.00 it has typos on every page!!! !! I'm going to try the next in the series and if it's as bad I will stop buying them from you!
Lian Tanner
Not one of my favourites of this series - though in a way it's hard to separate out the individual books. This is the second book in which Annunciata plays a major role, and it's hard to sympathise with her when she treats her children so appallingly and appears to think only of her own pleasure. But at least she is interesting, and the series continues to intrigue me, and teach me a considerable amount about English history.
Mimi
I enjoy this series, although like all series some books are stronger than other. This one, detailing Annunciata Moreland and her involvement in the courts of Charles II and James II is a weak entry, mostly due to the fact that Annunciata is petty, vain, and highly annoying. Also, the marriage and dating pool of the Morelands is insular, reaaaaaalllly insular.
Marg
If you don't like Annunciata you might struggle with this book, and there is a lot not to like about her!

Onto the next book in the series.
Luci
Entertaining. I am beginning to really like the interplay between family members. This is really a historical fiction soap opera.
Boorrito
Tired of reading about Annunciata. Looks like the next book isn't focused so much on her though, thank god.
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Hklute
Hklute marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 08, 2015
Jaimee Deato
Jaimee Deato marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sherry Lopez
Sherry Lopez marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Heather McGuire
Heather McGuire marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Swagmaster
Swagmaster marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
  • Foxfire
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • The Wicked Earl  (Harlequin Historical Series, #843)
  • The Wandering Prince (Stuart Saga, #4) (Charles II, #1)
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • Marry Me: With Scandals Bride And A Rogue's Proposal
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • The Smuggler and the Society Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #3)
  • Gabriella
  • Rogue's Salute (Masters at Arms, #3)
  • Lady Pamela
  • Lady Robyn (Knight Errant #2)
  • Dynasty Of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The School for Brides (School for Brides, #1)
  • Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #4)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...

The Morland Dynasty (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1)
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3)
  • The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4)
  • The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)
  • The Chevalier (The Morland Dynasty, #7)
  • The Maiden (Morland Dynasty, #8)
  • The Flood-Tide (Morland Dynasty, #9)
  • The Tangled Thread (Morland Dynasty, #10)
  • The Emperor (The Morland Dynasty, #11)
The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1) The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2) The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3) The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4) The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)