Start by marking “Never Surrender” as Want to Read:
Never Surrender

Never Surrender (Winston Churchill #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  30 reviews
From Michael Dobbs, author of the book that inspired the smash hit Netflix series House of Cards, Never Surrender finds newly-elected Prime Minister Winston Churchill in a personal confrontation with Adolf Hitler.

The battle begins on Friday, May 10, 1940, when Hitler launches a devastating attack that within days will overrun France, Holland and Belgium and bring Britain t
Published September 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published June 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Never Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Surrender

Toni Osborne
Book #2 in the Winston Churchill series

This historical fiction is set the first month of Churchill’s premiership during the time when Britain was uncertain if the country had the will or the mean to stand up and fight. The story tells what turned out to be one of the most important three weeks of the twentieth century.

This suspenseful account based on historical events begins with Europe in turmoil. May 10, 1940, Germany had just completed its conquest of Denmark and Norway and has turned its
Barry Nabbs
second in the series and one of my favourites. My Grandad was in Dunkirk so I find the matter fascinating.
More so than the first book the story leaves a lump in your throat and the relationship of Henry and Don Chichester is patricularly memorable.
This is the third time I have read the series and I still enjoy it everytime.
Keith
Historical fiction is so much better when one knows something about the era. Of course, it is also often the easiest way to jump-start an interest in another time, an interest that can lead to reading histories of that time. This is the second book in Dobb's Churchill series and it portrays the beginning of the war, particularly the military disaster in France and the Dunkirk evacuation. I've read a fair number of books by and about Churchill and about the steady march from Munich to war. Even s ...more
Pam Brown
I have a new fascination for WWII. Historical fiction is my favorite genre, but I've preferred pre-democratic times when individuals could wield enormous power and influence via accidents of birth. I've read a lot of books about Tudor England and Imperial Rome. It's harder for one person to change history when constrained by 'the people'. 'Never Surrender' gave me a glimpse of Churchill and others as men who rose above the usual constraints by personality and character. Then there are King Georg ...more
Katie
This was a compelling, close look at the transition from the UK's monarchy-based strategizing to 'modern' international relations approach to being a world power - all while Hitler was at ramming speed on his way to the English Channel. The focus on ~3 critical weeks of this transition gave a great inside view of Churchill's key role in this time period. And while the political and front line maneuverings were very clearly presented, the book did not get bogged down in each parliamentary argumen ...more
Rob & Liz
Excellent blend of historial facts with events of people in the early days of WWII (1940) and what the British Government and its people were dealing with as the German Forces advanced across Europe.

It shows the strengths and courage of those charged with ensuring England would fight on against what seemed like great odds. One can read how it was for a military person to fight and try to survive or to die to ensure another person would continue the fight.
It paints a few weeks of WWII at the star
Jennie
Great stuff! The book centers around Churchill's assumption of power as Prime Minister on the eve of Dunkirk. Stirring, decisive times and historically critical to know for any one who loves Western Civilization and the English-speaking world.
Stephen F. Johnson
Great WWII epic

I love WWII historical novels and this is one of the best! A nice portrayal of Churchill at his best.
Mary Beth
Simply an amazing book which chronicles the three weeks after Churchill is made Prime Minister. Oh what a suitable setting was made for Winston's words and deeds, even if it is fiction! I think it quite good and can't wait to read the next book.
Chris
At first I was down on this book, with its occasional typos and scenes that seemed too forced (one in particular where Churchill talks to his dead father). I was turned off. But I'd bought the book, so felt compelled to finish it. And it grew on me. The characters grew on me, and the compelling events grabbed my interest. At the very least, I learned a little more about Churchill and some specific events of WWII. I probably won't go out and get his other Churchill book, but was glad I read (and ...more
Nancy
I have to admit I had a hard time getting into this book and staying focused on it. I read it on Kindle and kept wishing this book had X-Ray so I could look up all these people, because I kept forgetting who was who. it did make me want to read more about this incredible time in history.
Carla
It's a three story narrative around Churchill, a German refugee woman, and a young conscientious objector British man stationed in Calais and his reverend father just across the channel in Dover. I know this was used to show the complex story, but I feel like each of the characters deserve a whole book of their own, and I don't like the jumpiness. I would recommend it though for those interested in WWII or Churchill.
Malinda
I know the history, know the outcome, but that didn't stop this book from keeping me interested and even in suspense. The historical detail is great. I feel like I really know Churchill now (and Hitler too--I've read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and thought I knew Hitler fairly well, but this shed new light on him.) How did Churchill survive the first two weeks of his job as PM? A good question. Amazing.
Kevin Wheeler
He has a knack of describing the events and people of Britain during WWII that is very believable. He's a master at blending fact and fiction to create a story I find hard to put down even though we all know the outcome. It's really more about the people, the historical characters, and how they reacted to the events that were going on around them.
Nancy
This is the second in the series of four Churchill novels by Dobbs. This one covers 1939-40, from the time Churchill became Prime Minister through the evacuation at Dunkirk. Hitler is advancing across western Europe, Churchill is struggling to unite Great Britain towards the war effort and Joe Kennedy is still an uncouth ass,
Stefan
Never Surrender was an intelligent, perceptive novel which I thoroughly enjoyed. Dobbs really captured the atmosphere in London and France from Churchill’s appointment as Prime Minister to the fall of France. Dobbs also succeeded marvelously at capturing the complex, awesome personality of Churchill.
Julia
It was fascinating, I always knew Churchill as a great English political leader who gave the great quote "never, never, never surrender" But I feel like I really got to know him here with some of his shortcomings and quirks, a very interesting man, and a crazy time in history. I loved this book.
Omar
Very few historical texts, and this by no means a historical text but a great story woven out of a few historical truths, really capitalize on the effect Churchill's father had on Winston's character. This book does a great job of showing the complex father-issues Churchill struggled with
Matty Struski
Great way to tell the story of the struggles that Churchill was up against during his first days in office. Not only against the Nazi war machine, but about the members of his own governemnt that had serious doubts about whether he was the right person for the job.
Scott
Excellent paced and full of intrigue, classic speeches, and british grit. Follows the days leading up to and during the evacuation at Dunkirk as Hitler overwhelmed Holland and France, and how Churchill fought against his own cabinet to get the boys home.
Mike
I enjoyed this historical fiction. I found that most was well researched and that it gave a good feeling of what Churchill and better yet the UK was facing in those early years of uncertainty of WWII.
Jack
Good book. The conflicts among the characters was depressing (20-20 hindsight) as was the terrible situation into which England had put itself. Well written.
Matt
Poor editing job. Somewhat hokey, but that's to be expected of a historical novel. I keep reading it because I'm interested in Churchill, not because it's well-written.
Robert
Really enjoyed this book. Better than first. Was doubtful as only set over 3 weeks but never dull. Will read third now
William J. Shep
Excellent story, better than Winston's War. Fewer and better side stories.
Duncan
Great series. Well written and gripping at every turn.
Robert
Fantastic. I only wish there was more Churchill in it.
Nanci
Great book can't wait to read the next
  • Second Violin (Inspector Troy, #6)
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt #2)
  • Season of Darkness (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #1)
  • Early One Morning
  • The Collaborators
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Interrogations: The Nazi Elite in Allied Hands, 1945
  • The Rise of Robin Hood (Outlaw Chronicles)
  • The Longest Night: The Bombing of London on May 10, 1941
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • The Camp
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • The Young Hitler I Knew
Michael Dobbs was born on the same day, in the same hour as Prince Charles in 1948.

He is the son of nurseryman Eric and his wife Eileen Dobbs and was educated at Hertford Grammar School and Christ Church, Oxford University. After graduating in 1971 he moved to the United States.

In the USA he attended the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, which he
More about Michael Dobbs...

Winston Churchill (4 books)
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • Churchill's Hour (Winston Churchill #3)
  • Churchill's Triumph (Winston Churchill #4)
House of Cards (Francis Urquhart, #1) Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1) To Play the King (Francis Urquhart #2) Churchill's Triumph (Winston Churchill #4) The Final Cut (Francis Urquhart #3)