Start by marking “Sweet Relief: The Marla Ruzicka Story” as Want to Read:
Sweet Relief: The Marla Ruzicka Story

Sweet Relief: The Marla Ruzicka Story

Marla Ruzicka was a free spirit, a savvy political operator, a wartime Erin Brockovich. Fiercely determined to improve the lives of the less fortunate, the twenty-something blonde was instrumental in convincing the U.S. government to pass historic legislation aiding civilian victims of war.

Sweet Relief recounts Marla's journey from an idyllic childhood in a small Californ
Published October 1st 2006 by Gallery Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Relief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Relief

Janel Chapman
Jan 10, 2013 Janel Chapman rated it it was amazing
I knew Marla from the time she was a baby. She was so spirited. Reading this book brought back good memories of an incredible young woman.
Chris
Aug 27, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing
I picked this up ages ago, and after reading Babylon by Bus, where Marla is mentioned, it reminded me of this book and it seemed an appropriate time to finally start reading this. Got through the first couple chapters and I can't put it down. What a charismatic woman!
I've finished it now and WOW! What an amazing woman. She did so much to aid civilian casualties of war in Afganistan and Iraq. She was absolutely manic in her energy and charm and managed to do things no one else ever could simply
Hannah
Aug 31, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This is a heartbreaking and inspiring story of a brave young woman who against all odds and numerous obstacles, made a significant impact on the lives of Iraqi and Afghan civilian victims of war and urged the US military to take responsibility for the inadvertent damage caused by war. Despite the fact that she was battling her own demons, she put her own problems, and frequently her health, aside to fight for justice for others. Her charismatic personality and relentless determination led to leg ...more
Cherie
Aug 13, 2007 Cherie added it
Recommends it for: activitists
Rating: A
Jen told me this book changed her life, and it definitely is inspiration. It brought tears to my eyes; the story of a dedicated and manic young activist who died at age 28 (a year older than me) in Iraq. She did so much and was so unappreciated…Sad but a great book.
Carryl
Apr 26, 2007 Carryl rated it liked it
Shelves: book_club
I read this book over the holidays and couldn't put it down. For such a young life, Marla sure did live a full life. She took risks and only wanted to help those in need. If we could all help those in need....

Book 9
Hosted by Lisa in the cool Funky Art House!
Bilingual Librarian
Sep 20, 2007 Bilingual Librarian rated it really liked it
This girl's story is absolutely amazing and inspiring. Her mania comes across each page, in an unnerving, yet truly inspiring way. I admire her work, but was also reminded me that we can't keep helping once we're dead.
Amy Perl
Apr 09, 2016 Amy Perl rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about an amazingly strong woman!
Melissa
Nov 25, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A must read...REALLY!
Deborah
Jul 15, 2009 Deborah rated it really liked it
I knew Marla, so maybe I'm biased, but read this book and you'll understand how one person can and does change the world.

Andrea
Jan 03, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. I think that anyone who like inspiring people should read this.
Linda
Apr 30, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Another great woman, as Rachel Corrie, that stood up for Palestinains having rights. Also dying for the cause and will not be forgotten.
Tritia
Tritia rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2012
Milissa
Milissa rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
James
James rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2010
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Lida
Lida rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
May 07, 2010
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Delmer
Delmer rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2008
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2007
Nadine
Nadine rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Carlo
Carlo rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2008
Peggy
Peggy rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2012
Amber Wheeler windmueller
Amber Wheeler windmueller rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Johan Maurer
Johan Maurer rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014