Start by marking “We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History” as Want to Read:
We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History

We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
"This may be the most exhilarating and revelatory history of our country. It is must reading for today's youth-as well as their elders." --Studs Terkel

From the boys who sailed with Columbus to today's young activists, this unique book brings to life the contributions of young people throughout American history. Based on primary sources and including 160 authentic images, t
Published August 8th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about We Were There, Too!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were There, Too!

The Luxe by Anna GodbersenRumors by Anna GodbersenSplendor by Anna GodbersenEnvy by Anna GodbersenBelle Epoque by Elizabeth  Ross
YA Gilded Age
22nd out of 27 books — 8 voters
Broken Point by Donna K. ChildreeOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountSCHOOL SPIRIT by XKissing Frogs by Lauren GalleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Teen Empowerment
9th out of 28 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Breanne Sergenti
Feb 16, 2014 Breanne Sergenti rated it it was amazing
Genre: Non-Fiction/Multicultural
Grade Level: 4-7
Awards: National Book Award Finalist

This book provides a glimpse at how children and young adults played a role in history, both large and small, yet most were overlooked by history. This is a powerful book to present students by helping them relate to a time in history while reading first hand accounts from children around their own age. The book is highly informational with almost every page displaying a real photograph. Some photographs are port
Missmath144
An excellent look at young people who played roles (large and small) in history, and most of whom were overlooked by history. For example, months before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus, a teenage girl named Claudette Colvin did the same thing in the same city. At the time, Martin Luther King Jr. and other activists in Montgomery felt that they weren't quite ready to put the issue to the test, particularly for a young girl who had resisted arrest. The book covers events ...more
Lucy
Short biographies of dozens of young people who made a mark in American history, including explorers, planters, spies, cowpunchers, sweatshop workers, and civil rights workers.
Chapters are: ¡Tierra!: when two worlds meet; Strangers in paradise: the British colonies; Breaking Away: the American Revolution; Learning to be a Nation; One Nation or Two?: the Civil War; Elbow Room: the West; Shifting Gears in a New Century; Hard Times: wars, depression, and dust; Times That Kept a-Changin’; Linking Up
Apr 20, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Hoose, P. M. (2001). We were there, too!: young people in U. S. history. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux.

Citation by: Sarah Tyler

Type of Reference: Biographical Reference

Call Number: 920 Hoo

Content/Scope: Hoose’s collective biography shares the voices of over seventy young people and covers their participation in United States history from 1492 to the 1990s. It features the lives of children and young adults from pivotal eras of history. Each historical period has an introductory summation of eve
Kimber Tate
Biography

Ways to Use in the Classroom-This book provides multiple biographies from young soldiers and explorers to civil rights heroes. These stories are ways to connect students with important historical events by helping them to "see" people who made the history.
Bree Bosse
Nov 25, 2010 Bree Bosse rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! This has amazing photographs and tells the stories of children during times in history. I think this is a phenomenal book to help students be able to relate to a time in history that they may be learning about because it is specific stories from children.
Bethany Griffin
Hoose, Phillip M.. We were there, too!: young people in U.S. history. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 2001.

Reference Type- Biographic Reference

Content/Scope- Records achievements of young people throughout American history. Relates story of more than 70 children from diverse backgrounds. 512 pages. Places young people in the midst of every event that shaped America.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias- author is an award winning author (Boston Globe-Horn Book Award, Christopher Award, and a National Book A
Christie Jones
Book: Hoose, P. M. (2001). We were there too!: Young people in u.s. history. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

Reviewed by : Christie Jones

Type of Reference : Biographical Reference

Call Number : 900 H7891w 2001

Content/Scope: This book brings to life the contributions of young people to American History. It is 276 pages about stories of American History and young people.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Hoose is an award winning author that turned his attention toward children. He places young people at the cente
Fenixbird SandS
**Added to "My Secret Santa wishlist"... An exciting range of true stories of brave youth ranging from Pocahontas to Cesar Chavez. Okay, sure, Mark Twain comes to mind. Hoose's fantastic compilation of stories set in an almost encyclopedic-like formate spans several centuries...Appropriate for Age Group: 10 years old and up.
Evaluation: When I found this book on the teacher’s choice list, it interested me right away. I was surprised by just how amazing a resource I later discovered it to be. Did
Madison
Sep 19, 2014 Madison rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, the events we read about in our history books seem so far off and distant that it's hard to imagine that normal people like you and me lived through those times. Starting with a story about a young boy who sailed with Christopher Columbus on the Santa Maria in 1492 and ending with a story about a young girl who began fighting for a safer environment in the late 1990s, this book is full of stories about young people in U.S. history. Reading these young people's accounts of their lives ...more
Stven
Dec 19, 2008 Stven rated it liked it
Recommended to Stven by: Studs Turkel
An excellent resource for teachers of all kinds. Good historical sketches with young people as the central characters -- and good solid reasons for having them at the center.

My only criticism is that this long series of episodes has been put in order from oldest to newest. I contend it would have been much easier to hook the modern reader -- and in particular the modern young reader -- if we had begun at the beginning of the book with the most contemporary stories, giving the reader a nice sense
Dave
Aug 12, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
RuthAnn and I read the book together, one chapter each night at bedtime. We really enjoyed reading about famous historical events via the accounts of young people who personally lived through the event. Very clever and interesting way to read about history. It would be a good choice for both young people who are living long after these events and for older folks who were alive at the time and may have gained a different perspective on the events described because their only source was the nation ...more
Lexish
Mar 27, 2012 Lexish rated it really liked it
This book highlights (albeit briefly) the lives and contributions of one or two children in each of the major historical periods of U.S. history. The writing is straightforward and clear, and I found myself constantly turning the page to read about "just one more" kid. Teachers especially might enjoy using/sharing this book as it gives a different and welcome perspective in addition to the standard history textbooks, which admittedly feature legions of grown-ups.
Laura Cushing
Jul 28, 2011 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing
An excellent accounting of children and young adults through history. A lot of personal stories of the important roles youth played in America's history. I was familiar with some of the stories, but there were quite a few people I didn't know. Personal words from the historical figure from their diaries, letters, and later recounts made it a very personable and intriguing read.
Rosie
Apr 21, 2009 Rosie rated it it was amazing
Great book! Tells the stories of teens throughout history starting with the teens who accompanied Columbus on his voyage to America and ending with a girl in the 1990’s who starts an Environmental Group when she is only nine years old. Each story is only a few pages, so it is easy to pick up and point down. Not only educational, but a very fun read.
Kip
May 31, 2007 Kip rated it really liked it
I like books that approach a topic from a fresh perspective. We Were There, Too! explores some of the important roles children have played during key events in U.S. history. The book is written for a young audience, but I found it to be engaging and informative. And it made me want to know more about how children have shaped our history.
Timna
Dec 17, 2012 Timna rated it it was amazing
Read several sections of this for 4th grade book club. Hoose does an amazing job pitching US history for elementary students - never too intense, but importantly, never too "cleaned up". I worried that having to make all stories about kids would end up feeling forced, but it never did. This is a valuable and readable resource!
Rachelle
Jan 15, 2009 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to incorporate into the classroom. This book tells stories from history, but not just any stories. This book has found how young people have had and impact on in history. A great way for students to connect with what has happened in the past and a way to make boring history come to life!
Sara
Excellent nonfiction for middle (or maybe high) school; meaty enough writing for older grades but picture-filled and short enough to keep your attention. Almost has a textbook feel, without being dry and boring.
Karen
Dec 08, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
A great resource for American history. I am using it to discuss values such as dedication, courage, perseverance, commitment, volunteerism...etc. My class is going to met him this February.
Rachel Burt
Mar 04, 2010 Rachel Burt rated it it was amazing
Really interesting book about young people that shaped American history in large and small ways. Read about remarkable people I'd never never knew about before, a must read!
Candace
I would recommend this for older elementary. The pictures and stories are non-fiction and I think it puts history into terms children can understand. Heavy reading though.
Jessie
This book shows what young people in history did to make a difference. Most books tell about adults, but this is all about youth. It's very user friendly.
Rae Hittinger
Jun 20, 2011 Rae Hittinger rated it liked it
I've perused this book while writing curriculum and while teaching. It has pretty interesting info, and is probably ideal for tweens, plus.
MrsCRobertson
Great compilation of stories that children will be able to relate to- People their own age experiencing history through a child’s eyes!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This outstanding book outlines the contributions that children and teens have made to history and culture. Very, very interesting!
Jalair
Mar 17, 2013 Jalair rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I enjoy reading stories from history from the view of young people. It adds a new side to the story
Marcus
This a source that every educator should know about or have.
Samantha
  • From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World
  • The Skin You Live In
  • Flesh & Blood So Cheap: The Triangle Fire and Its Legacy
  • The Duel: The Parallel Lives of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr
  • Denied, Detained, Deported: Stories from the Dark Side of American Immigration
  • The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler
  • Smoke and Ashes: The Story of the Holocaust
  • Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
  • "The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
  • Kids On Strike!
  • The State of Jones
  • The Great and Only Barnum: The Tremendous, Stupendous Life of Showman P. T. Barnum
  • When Thunder Comes: Poems for Civil Rights Leaders
  • World War I
  • Lee The Last Years
  • Sir Charlie: Chaplin, the Funniest Man in the World
Phillip Hoose is the widely-acclaimed author of books, essays, stories, songs, and articles, including the National Book Award winning book, Claudette Colvin: Twice Towards Justice.

He is also the author of the multi-award winning title, The Race to Save the Lord God Bird, the National Book Award Finalist We Were There Too!: Young People in U.S. History, and the Christopher Award-winning manual for
More about Phillip M. Hoose...