Start by marking “Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)” as Want to Read:
Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)

Innocent in Death (In Death #24)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  16,287 ratings  ·  557 reviews
The death of history teacher Craig Foster devastated his young wife, who’d sent him off to work that morning with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the Upper West Side private school. And as for the ten-year-old girls who found him in his classroom in a pool of bodily fluids, they may have been traumatized for life.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, of course, is m
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 20th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent in Death

Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
Although I'm an absolute fan of this series, I'll be the first to admit the majority of the "whodunnits" in the books are relatively easy to figure out before the halfway point. However, Innocent In Death was a nice change. There were so many possible suspects going in so many different directions I was never quite sure who could have killed the innocent Craig Foster. The fact that throughout the story Eve herself couldn't even pinpoint a motive only added to the mystery's mystery!! When I final ...more
Samantha
Innocent in Death is number 24 of J.D. Robb’s “In Death” series and my introduction to the books.

It’s the year 2060 and lieutenant Eve Dallas has taken a case involving a young teacher’s murder. The case seems like a standard poisoning, but Eve is having trouble building a good list of possible suspects. The young teacher seemed honestly well liked in the community with no real enemies. On the home front, Eve is battling her own insecurities as an old flame from her husband’s, path has suddenly
Holly
I decided to re-read this book after a discussion about it on Twitter. This was the last In Death book I really loved. Though I've enjoyed some of her other latest releases, none have touched me as much as this one.

I figured out early in who the killer was the first time I read it, but it was still chilling. While the case was interesting and the direction Robb took us for the killer unique, it was the relationship aspects that really grabbed me.

It's no secret that my favorite books in the serie
It probably means there's something wrong with me but it was good to see a bit of a shake-up in Eve and Roarke's relationship. The introduction of Magdelena, Roarke's reaction, then Eve's reaction to his, and most of all, Summerset's, somehow...it was just all really, really good. There was some really genuine emotion going on, as usual for her books with these characters. But deeper, sadder, more difficult. For the first half of the book at least, the murder seemed almost a distraction from the ...more
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Roarke vs. Magdalena:"Listen carefully. I'd crush you like a bug for causing my wife one single moment of pain. Believe it. Fear it." ....

Any threat to Eve, whether it be emotional or physical, sure brings out Scary Roarke with a vengenance. Yeah, Roarke was a blind fool at first when it came to Magdalena, but he came to his senses and when he finally saw through Maggie's farce he didn't hold back one bit on his wrath.

Eve vs. Magdalena: I had no doubt Eve would come out swinging, literally. In
Jen
Eve and Roarke

One of my favorite books in the series. Magdelana was huge pain in the rear and it was painful yet compelling to watch Eve and Roarke stumble their way through her.

I had an idea who the killer was pretty early on but it was still quite chilling to hear the confession at the end. Very sick.
Jennifer Wardrip
I've said before that the "...IN DEATH" series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) is my all-time favorite series, and after 24 books, that still holds true.

With INNOCENT IN DEATH, I spent as much time crying over the emotional disturbance between my favorite couple, Eve Dallas and Roarke, as I did trying to find out who committed the crimes.

When a likeable, all-around good guy teacher at a private school ends up dead, poisoned by ricin in his hot chocolate, the school is in shock. Eve immediately
Kristen
This series by Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb are great if you like an action/murder/suspense story with just a little hot romance thrown in for good measure.

Eve Dallas is a complex, interesting, but flawed character. A hard as nails homicide cop who is excellent at solving murders, but has a past filled with the ghosts of an abusive childhood.

With Roarke - her sexy as anything, former crook, turned legitimate billionaire husband - helping her out when needed with his "unique" knowledge of cr
Amy

Probably the best and most gut-wrenching book in the series that I have read to date. The murder plot was fantastic and the personal struggles that Roarke and Eve faced really brought their relationship to a new level. "The look" literally killed me as much as it did Eve. I admit my stomach was in knots and this story brought me to tears more than once. I've never seen Eve so vulnerable and Roarke such a bloody oblivious ass! This story is some of J.D. Robb's best work and there is no better way
Polluxa
Dec 09, 2008 Polluxa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. I don't really read romance and the murder mysteries in this series are nothing compared to Doyle's or Christie's. But, damn it, I'm hooked.
Alexis
Dec 04, 2008 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of JD Robb or other homicide mystery series
If you've read any book in this series before, you know Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a homicide cop in New York City about fifty years in the future. This time around, Eve has caught a case that seems to have no motive and no suspect. Who would kill a much-loved grade school history teacher? But someone has killed him, and Eve will find out who and why. And while all this is going on, she's dealing with a woman from her husband, Roarke's, past - a woman who actually mattered.

As usual, J.D. Robb/Nor
rivka
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
While the case in this book is a good one with a shocker ending, it's the character relationships that shoot this one to the top of my list of In Death books. When a past love of Roarke's returns to claim the love she left behind 12 years ago, Eve's world is severely rattled. Roarke is blinded by the manipulation of his past girlfriend, & Eve is nearly destroyed after witnessing the look on Roarke's face when he first saw Maggie again...it's the look that he usually only gives to Eve. The he ...more
Bakudis

OWW Roarke you make Eve so sad, i feel her heart broke and hurt so much and little bit suprised that Roarke got serious relationship with OW the evil Magdalena (first love) before Eve.

“First, it’s not your concern, and don’t even think about raising that fist to me. This is my doing, her coming here, her causing troubl
Penni
I loved this installment of the In Death series. The murder was wicked scary and heartbreaking. As was Roarke's blast from the past ex and the strain that put on Roarke and Eve's relationship.

Roarke was pretty blind in this one to his ex - not like his usual canny self. Eve was undone by this situation, which was unusual for her. As usual, it is great to see their relationship weather any storm.

The crime was one that will stick with me. One of those that no matter what justice is served, it will
Bigd_041555
How do you spell evil? I spell it "Raylene Straffo"!

I love this book for many different reasons - a horrible psychopathic child and a woman who strives to be the number one home wrecker - both of whom are extremely spoiled!

Two very good story lines with interconnecting or would that be parallel meanings/morals.

Once again we see how human our main characters are - 2 thumbs up and 5 stars!

Now a break from the series, first with Bones of the Lost by Kathy Reichs, then Never Go Back by Lee Child.

Onc
Sabrina
This is, to date, the best book of the series. Whereas Born in Death is sort of light-hearted, this book has challenging subject matter. It is a credit to Roberts' writing that her characters are so realistic to me that I cried through a good bit of the middle of the book. Skip some of the other books in the series, but this is one you just do not want to miss.
Patricia
Craig Foster, a history teacher at a posh private school in NYC, is at his desk eating his home-prepared lunch and constructing a pop quiz for his next class. He’s young, dedicated and enthusiastic about his job. He is a newlywed, happy in his marriage to a woman who is lovely in both face and personality.

And Craig Foster is now dead at his desk. Actually, he only started dying at his desk. His actual last few minutes alive were spent trying to crawl, against agonizing abdominal pain, to the doo
Angela James
This has always been one of my favorite In Death books, because the appearance of Magdalena and the interpersonal tension between Eve and Roarke is totally delicious and full of awesome. The only problem with this book is that Roarke doesn't do NEARLY enough groveling.
Mike
Let me say this; I've read over 10 of these Eve Dallas books so far and several have given me chills with how cold, calculating and just plain sick some of the killers were but this book's killer takes the biggest cake you'll ever find.

The story starts off with you thinking, maybe just maybe the teacher who's seemingly got zero enemies and zero skeletons in his closet might have hidden something well enough that no one but the killer found it but it goes so much deeper than that. You start thin
MostlyDelores
I found this to be the most disturbing of all the Eve Dallas books. It stuck with me for a long time.
Caz Malpas
5 SUPER DUPER STARS

As usual an amazing read/listen, sometimes there is just that little something that makes this great series greater, this is one of the books that does that to this series for me, the evil perpetrater of the crime is just EVIL, so much so it gave me the eebie jeebies!

There's trouble in the Roarke household as an old flame of his royal irish gorgeousness himself returns, which causes Eve's heckles to rise, and you just know that's a bad thing.

Love all the usual characters and e
Adriana
This was one hard to put down book. Loved it!

Despite the fact that I figured out who the killer was within the first third of the book, I thoroughly enjoyed the entirety of this book.

Being the first volume I’ve read of the “In Death” series did not at all take away from my enjoyment. Certain past events are mentioned that made me scratch my head a little, but didn’t detract from the story. I’m pretty sure they are little nuggets that long time readers would love. Same thing happens with characte
Anyone who reads my blog or follows me on Goodreads knows that I have been steadily working my way through the In Death series this year. While I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every single one and given them either 4 or 4.5 star reviews for the most part, I hadn't yet found one that ranked 5 stars for me. Well, that finally happened when I got deep into the twenty-fourth installment, Innocent in Death. It had everything that I wanted from this series and I am still thinking about it almost two ...more
Kris
On a whim, I decided to check out a book for the Kindle from the library. I've tried checking out ebooks from the library before but had so much trouble with the whole PDF thing on my ereaders. I figured I'd give it one more shot. Choosing a book that is 24th in a series could have been disastrous, I know, but I think it turned out pretty good.

I really, really enjoyed this book. So much so that I literally stayed up until 4:30 in the morning reading it! Yes, I turned uber book geek for a day rea
Sharal Hunter
I'm not sure if WOW sums up effectively the reactions and feelings this book brought out of me. This installment so far has to be the most shocking out of the entire series. Eve has seen her share of the evil in the world. She has lived through it and survived it and brought so many of the perpetrators of evil to justice. The identity of this villain comes as a major shock and surprise to everyone around Eve, but not Eve. Nothing shocks or surprises her when it comes to the evil in people. But s ...more
Gina
Another excellent book in the series!

The plot was well written, and I found it just as difficult to swallow as the characters in the book. I really liked that.

The side plot was excellent as well. A couple needs a fight every now and again, and I'm glad it turned out the way it did, I think, for both, Eve and Roarke.

Peabody and McNabb are their usual selves, and the, um, 'struggles' I guess you could say, between Eve and Summerset - in this book, Fantastic!

This is definitely a series you need to
Maria
Definitely a hard-to-put-down book. Eve catches a case and is put off her stride from the beginning by the reappearance in Roarke's life of an old flame, Magdalena. Hurting, while the reader hurts right along with her, Eve tries to concentrate on the case but finds it difficult to impossible. The solution to the case and the way Roarke deals with Magdalena are great moments, but Eve must feel like Cassandra, trying to get people to listen to her with no one paying attention. Once she does get th ...more
Büşra Bal
Bitirmeyeceğime söz verdim ama yemedi. Eve Dallas'tan 14 kitap okudum sanırım,en iyisi buydu. En en en iyisiydi. Hem romantik yönüyle hem de polisiye kısmıyla.

Craig isminde bir öğretmen zehirlenerek öldürülüyor ve Eve davayı alıyor, adamın sicili kusursuz,düşmanı yok,kimsenin zarar vermek istemeyeceği türden biri o yüzden katilini bulmak,hatta şüpheli bile bulmak hayli zor oluyor.

Eve davayla uğraşırken bir yandan da kocasının ex-s.rtüğüyle uğraşmak zorunda. Tabirimi hoş görün kadından nefret e
Michael
Being the good librarian that I am, I thought it would behoove me to read an author I'm constantly cataloging, Nora Roberts. I sort of copped out, though, since I chose her futuristic crime series over her straight romances. And you know what, this book was kind of fun to read, even if it is a formula police procedural.

I knock off a star for the seemingly arbitrary time setting of this series. There's really no look into the implications of living in 2060, other than adding some slang terms and
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Innocent In Death (Jan. 2015) Spoiler Zone 103 28 Jan 13, 2015 09:41PM
persistence 3 73 May 05, 2014 05:58AM
J.D. Robb : Innocent in Death (Spoiler Zone) 35 120 Jan 23, 2014 10:19AM
CASTING CALL: CHA...: August 2012 8 18 Aug 05, 2012 03:37AM
  • Twice the Temptation (Samantha Jellicoe, #4)
  • High Noon
  • The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.” 768 likes
“She stepped forward as if to pick up the fur she'd tossed over a chair. Smoothly, she turned to hand it to him. And with perfect timing, flung herself into his arms.

The sable fell as he took her shoulders to shove her back.

Eve stepped to the doorway to see Magdelana with her arms locked around Roarke's neck, his hands on her bare shoulders--one of the ivory straps sliding to her elbow.

"Son of a bitch," she said.

On cue, Magdelana spun around, her face full of passion and shock. "Oh, God. Oh...it's not what it looks like."

"Bet." Eve strode in.

Actually, Roarke thought, it was more of a swagger. He had a moment to admire it, before Eve rammed her fist in his face.

"Fuck me." His head snapped back, and he tasted blood.

Magdelana cried out, but even the deaf would have caught the suppressed laughter in the sound. "Roarke! Oh, my God, you're bleeding. Please, let me just--"

"Don't look now," Eve said cheerfully. "But he's not the only one." She decked Magdelana with a straight-armed jab. "Bitch," Eve added as Magdelana's eyes rolled back and she fell, unconscious, to the floor.

Roarke looked down. "Well, now, fuck us all.”
48 likes