Start by marking “Contemporary American Poetry: Behind the Scenes” as Want to Read:
Contemporary American Poetry: Behind the Scenes

Contemporary American Poetry: Behind the Scenes

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Contemporary American Poetry" is an anthology featuring generous poetry selections from highly-respected and up-and-coming writers, chosen and commented upon by the writers themselves. In straightforward, conversational language, each poet provides original commentary that reveals the aesthetic and artistic choices they made in their creation. Along with advice and exerci ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Longman Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Contemporary American Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contemporary American Poetry

29 teachers of poetry present examples of their work which allowed them to talk constructively about it. Each master offers a lesson and some writing suggestions, followed by a quotation from other poems.
Kim Addonizio on Duende and Desire
Dick Allen on Form and Natural Speech pattern
David Baker on Double-Exposed Narrative
Robert Bly on Assertions and Associations
Michael J. Bugeja on the Sonnet Crown
Wanda Coleman on the Poet-in-Progress
Billy Collins on Metaphor and Movement
Stephen Dunn on Drift an
We used this text in an advanced poetry class I took in college. My only complaint is that we spent too much time reading each others poems and not enough reading this text. I found the selections brilliant and the interviews with the poets insightful. My favorites from the collections were Kim Addonizio, Billy Collins and the beautiful work of Elaine Duhamel. I haven't read all the sections yet.
I use this book when teaching poetry workshops. I especially like the David Baker poems and explanation as well as the Kay Ryan selections. It's an intriguing look behind the scenes of crafting a poem, if you believe in that stuff. It's a decent perspective on "craft," if nothing else.
Jun 21, 2007 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, poets
This is an amazing book for teaching poetry, with poems, essays, writing exercises, and a cd. I highly recommend it to any poet or creative writing teacher!
I will admit that I am not a fan of poetry but I enjoyed the poems from this book. There is a good amount of diversity throughout the poems selected.
This collection allowed me to visit with old friends, discover new ones, and peek inside the minds of these eclectic and talented poets.
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
D added it
Feb 26, 2015
Jessica Berrios
Jessica Berrios marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Brandon Hutchinson
Brandon Hutchinson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Roman marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Carrielou72 marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Olivia Felix
Olivia Felix marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Delabe marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Ryan added it
Feb 09, 2014
Kiea Honaker
Kiea Honaker marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Shavawn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Rory added it
Jun 23, 2013
Lori Trindade
Lori Trindade marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Unlocked Unplugged: My Journey Into the Dark World of Video Game Addiction City of the Big Shoulders: An Anthology of Chicago Poetry MAGICAL BREASTS OF BRITNEY SPEARS, THE Breathe: 101 Contemporary Odes