Contemporary American Poetry

Contemporary American Poetry

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This highly respected anthology presents the works of 70 poets who have shaped the contours and direction of mainstream American poetry from 1960 to the present. Designed to provide a rich reading experience for both undergrad and graduate courses, more than 500 selections illustrate the variety and vitality of American poetry over the last few decades. For each poet, the...more
Published July 26th 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) (first published 1980)

Dayna
I own many books of poetry and a few poetry anthologies. It is rare that an anthology includes all of the poets whose work I admire, but this is one of those. As is the case for many anthologies, for those who are looking for samples of more experimental work, this is not for you. This includes the typical major players like Robert Hayden, Galway Kinnell, and Philip Levine, but it also offers work by culturally varied poets like Gary Soto, Kimiko Hahn, and Naomi Shihab Nye. There really wasn't a...more
Heather Moss
This was our textbook in the first poetry workshop I ever took. I had always liked poetry but my world of poets was very narrow before I owned this book, so I am grateful to have read it so thoroughly and learned about 20th century American poets in the mainstream. Although my poetic interests have largely moved away from this group of writers, I still have a nostalgic love for this book and find it comforting to return here when I've had a rough day and just want to revisit something that moved...more
Rose
My rating would have been higher but I'm not the biggest fan of poetry. This is an excellent collection of poets and their poems. I actually found this book in a pile that some of my college professors were giving away. I had just been in a Poetry class, and I felt the need to continue reading poetry even though it's not my favorite reading material. I am glad I read this collection of poetry, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a love for poetry.
Eric
It's very difficult for me to find a collection of poetry that I can read most of the way through. This had good work from authors I never knew, and am now a fan of. Besides that, there were good bios and acknowledgements section to find a lot of books from. A good mixture of some poets; others, I have no idea how they got into publication at all.
Vicki
I loved this book when I first got it (first poetry workshop), and I love returning to it. The more years that pass, the more I realize it's a fantastic introduction to some of the most important poets we have. A great compilation!
C
As others have said, I got this as a college textbook, but keep returning to it. At one point I lost my copy and had to find another. Hearing about the death of Adrienne Rich, I re-read her poems in this collection.
Auntjenny
I suppose this is the book that introduced me to contemporary American poetry. I still read it (it's on my nightstand!). So many poets to keep falling in love with.
Lisa
This was a textbook in college, but I still pick it up every once in awhile and read some poems. This is the best anthology I can think of for modern poems. Amen.
Cassa
Read it for class. Don't read it all in one day like I did, you'll explode.

Good collection of authors, interesting enough work, nothing I found "spoke" to me.
Jonathan
This was my textbook/my Bible to poetry.
I've been trying to get every poet I admire to sign it.
Alas, they keep dying.
Indy
Jul 11, 2008 Indy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Indy by: Dr. Taylor
Shelves: poetry
Just re-read for the twentieth time at least. I love this compilation. Thanks Dr. Taylor!
Mike
Wonderful. If you come across a copy, buy it.
John Nooney
John Nooney marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Jennifer Olson
Jennifer Olson marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Madeline Barton
Madeline Barton marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Sheldon
Sheldon marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
  • The Simple Truth
  • Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems
  • The Good Thief
  • Sweet Ruin
Contemporary American Poetry 7th Edition Plus Text Letter Contemporary American Poetry, Seventh Edition and Compact Dictionary A Momentary Order: Poems Contemporary American Poetry Eighth Edition Plus Barton Contemporary Handbook of Literary Terms Second Edition Cave Dwellers: Poems