Start by marking “The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry

The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Dazzling in its range, exhilarating in its immediacy and grace, this collection gathers together, from every region of the country and from the past forty years, the poems that continue to shape our imaginations. From Robert Lowell and Elizabeth Bishop, John Ashbery and Adrienne Rich, to Robert Haas and Louise Gluck, this anthology takes the full measure of our poetry's da ...more
Published April 8th 2003 by Vintage Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry

Holly
While this collection does cover a wide swath of poets it seems to have been edited by someone who was going through a bitter divorce. All the poems about relationships are bitter or, at best, bittersweet. No complaints about those selections either, but sometimes I turn to poetry to find words for my happiness and couldn't find them here. Best for a bleaker mood, I guess.
Juanita Rice
So far I am appalled by this anthology and its selectivity: 161 men/ 22 women.(Maybe 23? Initials, even names, sometimes mislead.) 6 African-American authors of this 187 poets. Not Langston Hughes. Not June Jordan, not Lucille Clifton. Not Maya Angelou. And not Marge Piercy. Not Ted Kooser. Not Lyn Hejinian. One Asian-American. Not Jane Kenyon.
No Hispanic-Americans. And 27% of the women have 5 or fewer pages, while only 2% of the men are so slighted.

An excerpt from the "Introduction," Second Edi
M. M. Sana
Jan 12, 2008 M. M. Sana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poets
Recommended to M. M. Sana by: Creative Writing Professor and Poetry Professor: 2 classes!
This is an awesome book to keep in your library and read a little bit at a time, if you don't read poetry but write it. If you read and write poetry GET THE BOOK!!! It presents different styles of contemporary poetry and you could really learn a lot from it. Also, it has an introduction on each poet before their style is presented. It was a required text and I read parts of it Spring 07 in a creative writing class, then Fall 07 it was required in my poetry class and I read most of it... After th ...more
Will
Apr 07, 2008 Will rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets, pirates
Recommended to Will by: Professor Jennifer Atkinson
Shelves: poetry
We used this book in my first poetry class and despite my expanding collection of these authors' collected works, I still enjoy leafing through them here. I think this was my first introduction to a number of amazing poets: Elizabeth Bishop, John Berryman, Richard Wilbur, Denise Levertov, James Dickey, Frank O'Hara, James Merrill, A.R. Ammons, James Wright, Adrienne Rich, Mary Oliver, Louise Gluck...

I reckon I wouldn't know nothin' if'n I ain't a read this pack 'o pomes.
Aeisele
Nov 02, 2007 Aeisele rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Doesn't know a thing about Victorian poetry
Shelves: poetry
This is a pretty good collection, edited by J.D. McClatchy. There's a ton of good anthologies, but this one has a good smattering of the best American poets after the modern era (the "Pound Era," as it were). It starts with Lowell and Bishop, and goes through Jarrell, Berryman, Warren, Nemerov, Rich, up to a bunch of people I've never heard of. Good collection.
Izlinda
Because the book store ordered the wrong book most of us, myself included, got photocopies from our teacher's copy. In a way, that ruined my pleasure of using this book, even though we did save money in the end since we didn't read many poems to make it worth buying.

I found it an alright anthology.
This was my first poetry anthology, and it has traveled around the world with me. I have read it so many times that it is now in two distinct halves. This was my first introduction to Sharon Olds, and the poem "The Glass." I will keep it until it falls apart.
Brian
I didn't think I could get back into poetry after I graduated with a BA in English. I was wrong. This stuff is essential. Thank the Good Lord for poets and hip-hop artists for their artistry with the language.
Shelby Rollenhagen
This collection is worth reading and offers great examples of stylistic control and technique, but from a visceral standpoint, I don't like a lot of the poems in it. However, any aspiring poet should read this book.
Nathanimal
Sep 28, 2013 Nathanimal marked it as finish-later
Shelves: poems
I don't know crap about poetry. Really, it's all blah blah blah to me at this point. But I think I'd like to get to know it better, so if you have any recommendations of some book or poet I might dig, let me know.
Tricia McKean
As an anthology, it's not the strongest I've ever read (or own). But it's got some good favorites in it, worth hanging on to and not sending to half price books!
Kevin
This anthology introduced me to unfamiliar poets as well as to unfamiliar poems of well-established poets, thus expanding my knowledge of the "canon" of American poetry.
Jeremy Allan
Jun 09, 2009 Jeremy Allan added it
Shelves: poetry
This is an ongoing project, since I generally find reading from anthologies to be deeply dissatisfying, strangely unlike the satisfaction I receive from owning them...
Molly
This book changed my view of poetry and answered the age old question, "what makes a poem a poem?." Many of my new favorite pieces are from this book.
Michaela
Again, I'm no expert on anthology-esque books, but I did love the poems I read in this one. And, the font/typeface was very lovely, as a random remark.
Jen
Nov 27, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry Lovers
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! By far the best collection of contemporary poetry today. I read it over and over again. Aslo, a great intro to great poetry.
Takipsilim
Some of the most honest and practical verse one would come across, with all of the strengths and weaknesses that such a style brings.
Rory
Reading this book was one of those things I didn't enjoy doing but am glad to have done, like running and brushing my teeth.
Jenna
My absolute favorite anthology of American poetry. Everytime I open this book I find something beautiful and new.
Lauren
Elizabeth Bishop, Theodore Roethke, James Wright, Sylvia Plath...plenty of my favorites all in one collection.
BillyBlog
Feb 12, 2008 BillyBlog rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to BillyBlog by: Jack Grapes
An editor who rejected my poetry (Jack Grapes, ONTHEBUS) recommended I read this. I did. My poetry got better.
Adam
Excellent to use when teaching an Intro Workshop. Excellent survey of big-shots and priced right.
Irmak Ertuna-howison
a great collection to remind you why Anglo-American literature is superior!
Rodney
I should probably know all this since I'm an MFA now. But I don't.
Rachel
Typical adult poetry collection with a wide range represented.
Elise
We only read a little of this. I liked the Mark Strand stuff.
Holly
A wonderful collection of contemporary American poetry.
JASON CUPP
basically, i have become obsessed with charles simic.
Linn K Htin
Mar 08, 2011 Linn K Htin added it
Shelves: my-shelf
so many well-known poets were not on the list. :(
Amanda
Great to read, hard to use as a textbook.
  • Discovery of Poetry: A Field Guide to Reading and Writing Poems
  • Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 1: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Fin-de-Siècle to Negritude
  • The Top 500 Poems
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • Contemporary American Poetry
  • The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa
  • Life Studies and For the Union Dead
  • Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology
  • Risking Everything: 110 Poems of Love and Revelation
  • The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American American Stories Since 1970
  • No More Masks: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Women Poets
  • Poetic Meter and Poetic Form
119003
McClatchy is an adjunct professor at Yale University and editor of the Yale Review. He also edits the "Voice of the Poet" series for Random House AudioBooks.

His book Hazmat (Alfred A. Knopf, 2002) was nominated for the 2003 Pulitzer Prize. He has written texts for musical settings, including eight opera libretti, for such composers as Elliot Goldenthal, Daron Hagen, Lowell Liebermann, Lorin Maazel
More about J.D. McClatchy...
The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry Poems of the Sea Love Speaks Its Name: Gay and Lesbian Love Poems American Writers at Home Christmas Poems