Start by marking “A Child's Anthology of Poetry” as Want to Read:
A Child's Anthology of Poetry

A Child's Anthology of Poetry

This tenth-anniversary reissue of a timeless collection celebrates the joys of poetry for children of all ages. Bringing together essential classic children's poems with the best of modern and contemporary international poetry, A Child's Anthology of Poetry is an indispensable introduction to literature and life for the young reader.

The simple pleasures of reading and

Published October 28th 1995 by Ecco (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Anthology of Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Anthology of Poetry

Jessica Blevins
Jun 09, 2011 Jessica Blevins rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book with my daughter. The best part...after reading poems by Poe, Blake, Bishop, Plath, Frost, Brooks, Hughes, Dickinson, cummings, Wordsworth, Keats, Angelou, Paz and many more...my daughter was inspired to write some poetry of her very own :)
Emrys
Apr 08, 2013 Emrys rated it liked it
I have never been a fan of poetry, and have never read more than the occasional poem of personal choice. I have these past few months though been thrown into it as poetry caretaker in my bookstore, and decided to attack it like a ripe pineapple in honor of April being poetry month. I am more proud than I have any to right to be, to have finished an anthology of hundreds of poems. Now with that out of the way:
This is clearly an anthology for older children. Ten and up I would say, if I was averag
Camille
Jul 24, 2008 Camille rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite poetry anthology. I pretty much like every poem in the book.
Kelly
Jun 14, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
It's difficult to denounce a book that contains poems by Poe and Dickinson (as well as countless others such as Carrol and Longfellow). That being said, the poem selections for this anthology may be just out of reach in terms of vocabulary and subject matter for younger readers.

There are many high quality inclusions here, including Frost's 'The Road Not Taken' and 'The Highwayman' by Noyes. It is difficult to mention all the quality poetry in this anthology, so it is almost easier not to highlig
Brianna Harmon
Feb 13, 2017 Brianna Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spent the last two days sort of gently pawing thru these - and discovered both classics I could read over and over and a few new favorites. Even if you don't intend to share with a child, a quick browse felt good to my 25 year old heart. Some of the pages I marked: The Village Blacksmith by Longfellow, Hold Fast Your Dreams by Driscoll, Swift Things Are Beautiful by Coatsworth and many more.
Jeana
Sep 22, 2008 Jeana rated it it was amazing
Some of my favorite poems in here are Maggie and Millie and Molly and May by E. E. Cummings, The Pit Ponies by Leslie Norris, The Bed Book by Sylvia Plath (and I know this is a children's book but it's so dang expensive because they haven't released a new version of it in a while that I can't afford to buy it), among others. It even has the Highway Man (I think) and other poems that maybe aren't exactly geared toward children, but I think they could appreciate anyway. I like this compilation of ...more
Marisa Bennett
Mar 04, 2011 Marisa Bennett rated it it was amazing
This is the best book of Children's poems I have ever owned. I not only purchased a copy for myself to read (and to read to my grandchildren), but bought copies for three of my best friends. It has the delightful assumption that children are intelligent creatures and so can understand poets like: Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, and Carl Sandburg (Fog: The fog comes in on little cat feet. It sits looking over harbor and city on silent haunches and then moves on.)
"Fog" was the first poem read to me
Beckabooks
Apr 02, 2013 Beckabooks rated it really liked it

Many children might not fully appreciate this volume. It is not what one has come to expect a child’s book of poems to be: miniaturized and colorful and playful in tone. There are only a very few simple pen and ink illustrations in this anthology, which fits comfortably in an adult’s hands and bookshelves.

Nor are the contents the standard fare for a book of this nature. Some of the often-anthologized-favorites-for-children are here, to be sure: ‘Be kind and tender to the Frog’ and ‘Hope is the
Rebekah Choat
Apr 02, 2013 Rebekah Choat rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned

Anne-Marie
Aug 29, 2015 Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
Recommended to Anne-Marie by: my dear mother
Enchanting! I can't believe I didn't used to like poetry. I think it's because for awhile the only poetry I was exposed to was the pretentious stuff you find in the New Yorker. But this book made me an unabashed lover of poetry, and now I've found a number of poets whose work I plan to read more of. (Isn't that horrible? I just ended a sentence with a preposition. I don't feel like going through some sort of grammatical mental jujitsu right now to figure out the proper way to phrase that last se ...more
Cathleen Ash
"Do you carrot all for me?" an anonymous poem early in the book, set the delightful tone: food and love, and continues later with animal crackers by Chris Morley. Many great poets are represented in this often ludicrous, alphabetical by author, poetry anthology. These poems are geared specifically toward children. While it may not be a book young adults read through (311 pages!), it is a wondeful addition to the shelf for thumbing through and enjoying.
Sarah Welton-Lair
Sep 09, 2013 Sarah Welton-Lair rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 8+
Recommended to Sarah by: Sonlight
While this isn't the most beautiful poetry book I've ever read, it does provide a comprehensive list of some really great poetry, from famous ones to the more obscure. Some of the poems were funny, some poignant - I actually used two of them in a poetry explication essay. But there are no extra tidbits such as illustrations or backgrounds on the authors to go along with the poems, and so at times it can feel a little boring.
Noah
Dec 15, 2009 Noah rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This book is about a bunch of diffrent stories that are not really funny but they do ryme and aslong as they ryme thats what makes them poems.

This book was good but not that good the poems werent funny but they were still good but if your like me and you read poems because they are funny well then DONT READ THIS BOOK.

I would reccomend this book to people who like poems and to people who like to find the meaning of poems.
Joanna M.
Apr 24, 2012 Joanna M. rated it liked it

It really is difficult to rate a collaboration of works, considering they are filled with individual works that deserve their own individual reviews. But, in regard to the editor of the book, there was a pleasant collection of poems that I found, for the most part, rather enjoyable. Some, not as much. But, overall, this was a nice collection.
Owen Banner
Aug 30, 2016 Owen Banner rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to find a good poetry book to introduce to my kids that's got a healthy mix of voices and styles, but isn't too heavy or abstract. This one is perfect. From Blake to Angelou, silly to serious, Ravens to Little Red Wheelbarrow and even a Pachycephalosaurus, this is a great starter book to learn to love the sound, look, and feeling of words.
Emily
May 07, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This says its a poetry anthology for children, but really it should say for the An Anthology of Poetry for the Child in Everyone. It's a well chosen collection of popular and not-as-well-known pieces. You will find old favourites and new favourites alike within these covers. It is a highly recommended read, and it is even better when read aloud.
Anissa Utami
Feb 11, 2010 Anissa Utami rated it it was amazing
i don't get poems or anything to do with poetry, but the more i read it, the more i can't deny that i like it, even sometimes i get lost in the vocabularies things, but so far, i still enjoy it (as long as it makes sense to me).
Mia Israelsen Blackwelder
Sep 23, 2011 Mia Israelsen Blackwelder rated it it was amazing
I don't often give five stars, but this is a great book of poetry. I just finished reading it aloud to Taicy. I love the variety of it. It has all kinds of poems: goofy, classic, sad, patriotic, and so on. It's good because it exposes kids to so many different kinds of poetry. Love it!
Susie
Jul 15, 2009 Susie rated it really liked it
some of it's for kids, but most of it is universal. example: "Dust of Snow" by Robert Frost
The way a crow
Of a day I had rued.
Sydney
Feb 26, 2012 Sydney rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, poetry
I enjoyed this collection of poetry. It has a few poems from many different poets. A lot of children's poems are funny or nonsense. This collection is serious but still remains developmentally appropriate for children. Would be more appropriate for upper primary like 3rd-5th grades.
Traci
Mar 18, 2008 Traci rated it liked it
We have several poetry books we read to the kids, especially Julia. This one is my favorite. It has poems by many poets...a few are Maya Angelou, Shel Silverstein, Robert Frost and Emily DIckinson. My favorite is Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field.
Kevin Hughes
I've been reading to my kids from this book for ... probably years now. They have memorized several of the poems from it.

I was disappointed that one of the poems dealt quite explicitly with suicide, and of course I never read that one aloud to my children. But overall it is a great anthology.
Krista
Jun 09, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing
I love this anthology! I read this book as a part of my sophomore year in high school. Out of the whole book, I think there were only a few poems I didn't like. Some were funny, sweet or interesting while others were more serious. Several of the poems were inspiring and gave me great ideas!
Danielle
Aug 30, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
This is the best of all the poetry books we've read over the years. It is truly a gem and should be in every home library.
Jenny
Mar 02, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a great collection of poems. Not only for children. Our whole family has enjoyed this. Don't miss the homework poem.
Dani
Sep 14, 2008 Dani rated it it was ok
Um...a lot of the poems are interesting....oh did I say interesting? I meant boring.
Shawna
Sep 12, 2011 Shawna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, poetry
One of my college textbooks. Some of the poems are probably not meant for young children.
Jamie
Dec 14, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
A classic for any poetry lover including a wide range of poems. My favorite is Macavity: The Mystery Cat by T.S. Eliot.
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
  • All the Small Poems and Fourteen More
  • A Parcel of Patterns
  • What Hearts
  • Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson
  • A Child's Introduction to Poetry: Listen While You Learn about the Magic Words That Have Moved Mountains, Won Battles and Made Us Laugh and Cry
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • Heart to Heart : New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • The Shining Company
  • Poetry for Young People: Robert Frost
  • Poetry for Young People: Walt Whitman
  • The Best Poems Ever: A Collection of Poetry's Greatest Voices
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • Poetry for Young People: Lewis Carroll
  • Pontius Pilate
Elizabeth Hauge Sword was raised in New York City. A graduate of Dartmouth College, she previously worked for ABC Sports and was a field producer for ABC Radio. She teaches elementary-school children and runs a computer consulting business. Sword lives in Princeton, New Jersey, with her husband and three children.
More about Elizabeth Hauge Sword...