Start by marking “Hilary Knight's the Owl and the Pussy-Cat: Based on the Poem by Edward Lear” as Want to Read:
Hilary Knight's the Owl and the Pussy-Cat: Based on the Poem by Edward Lear

Hilary Knight's the Owl and the Pussy-Cat: Based on the Poem by Edward Lear

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews

The irresistible blend of romance and nonsense in Edward Lear's "The Owl and the Pussy-cat" has made it a classic enjoyed by generations of young listeners. Now celebrated artist Hilary Knight wraps Lear's beloved verse in a richly imagined fantasy where two young listeners find themselves magically transformed and transported to the land where the Bong-tree grows.

Come

Hardcover
Published by MacMillan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Hilary Knight's the Owl and the Pussy-Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hilary Knight's the Owl and the Pussy-Cat

Kathryn
Jun 25, 2010 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra, thank you!
Oh, gosh, I LOVE the illustrations in this book! The poem itself is definitely a bit...unusual... in that nonsensical way that reminds me a bit of Lewis Carroll and can either be delightful or just plain weird depending on my mood. I think as a child I would have loved the poem better than I do as an adult. But, still, this book is pure magic! Hilary Knight does such a marvelous, marvelous job with the illustrations! I love how the little boy and girl go from listening to the story to becoming c...more
Ann
Jul 19, 2010 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Chandra and Kathryn
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Chandra!!! :D

The illustrations really won me over! The book is a 'retelling' of the classic song. The lyrics haven't changed, but the illustrations tell a wonderful dual story!
Look closely, and you can see how the characters mimic each other visually! Fantastic!

Also, sheet music and lyrics for the song are included.

Definitely stellar for what it's meant to be!! :D
Lisa Vegan
Jun 14, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
I remember this poem from my childhood, but it was not one of my favorites. However, this edition makes it shine. The story within the story really makes it work. There’s also sheet music included in the front of the book, composed by Douglas Colby.

Turning this poem into a part of a story about two children and their imaginative play, or fantasy land, however the reader wants to interpret it, makes it so much fun, and less weird. Frankly, it is a bit of a strange poem when it’s put out there on...more
Samantha Penrose
This was my first experience with The Owl and the Pussy-Cat, and it will be my last. I did not enjoy reading it at all.
The illustrations were nice, but didn't come close to the level of those in Hillary Knight's Cinderella.
The best part of this book were all of the signs for the "Land of Bong," and the idea of drinking the "bong nectar" with all of the animals on the beachfront property in the land of bong. ;)
Kimatron
This book has the best illustrations! My dream house is in this book... Hillary Knight also did a version of Cinderella that was my very, very, very favorite-est book as a kid. So much detail--you can find something new in the pictures every time you read it!
Becky
What Hilary Knight has done with this poem By Edward Lear is a real joy! I've poured over the pictures, and how the words of the poem are enhanced by the pictures, time and time again.
Amy
Very interesting take. Bea was not taken with it though - I hope my little niece will like it more.
Jen
Beutifully illustrated.
Kayli
Kayli marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Al Emperado
Al Emperado marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Pat Reyes
Pat Reyes marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Keisha
Keisha marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2012
Carolann Hill
Carolann Hill marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2011
12059
Hilary Knight writes, "I attribute any abilities I possess to the fact that both my parents are artists and writers. My father, Clayton Knight, is well-known for his aviation paintings and books. My mother, Katharine Sturges, has done fashion drawings, fabric designs as well as many children's books" (The Horn Book, 1968).

Born in Hempstead, Long Island, New York, in 1926. Childhood spent on Long I...more
More about Hilary Knight...
Hilary Knight's Cinderella Where's Wallace? Nina in That Makes Me Mad The Circus is Coming (A Golden Classic) Hilary Knight's The Twelve Days of Christmas