Start by marking “The Year the Dream Died: Revisiting 1968 in America” as Want to Read:
The Year the Dream Died: Revisiting 1968 in America

The Year the Dream Died: Revisiting 1968 in America

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The assassination of Kennedy & Luther King, the Tet offensive in Vietnam, campus riots & the election of Nixon. The year is 1968 & for millions of Americans the dream of a nation facing up to basic problems at home & abroad were shattered.
Published June 1st 1998 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Year the Dream Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year the Dream Died

Scott
This book, which dedicates a chapter to each month of 1968, really gets into the weeds of all that happened socially and politically in that turbulent year. However, if you're willing to devote the effort, the book is remarkably insightful, providing striking parallels between that year and the one at hand. From the early primary battles involving a New York Senator, a Texan President overseeing an unpopular war, and even a Republican candidate named Romney, to the tragedies of that Spring and t ...more
Kristen
Since I didn't grow up during this time period, I can't reflect on my own perspective, but I must say I really enjoyed this book. It provided a month-by-month recap of everything politics, culture, lifestyle for 1968. If you like history, Jules Witcover does a great job of making this more than just a textbook.
Bap
I was 18 in 1968, the year I graduated from high school and went to college. It was the year that I met my wife to be. It was also the year the Robert Kennedy was shot and Martin Luther King assasinated. It was a watershed year but this book does not capture it.
Rachel Blom
Fascinating account of 1968, the year the dream died. I love this way of telling history, where the bigger narrative and the personal are mixed. A lot of useful and interesting background on RFK and MLK. Loved this book!
Nick Black
Richly detailed -- an excellent retelling of events, but not insightful enough to really be a magnificent history.
JRB
Though not all encompassing, an easy introduction to 1968.
Micki Stewart
Micki Stewart marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Christopher Wallace
Christopher Wallace marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Prolitar
Prolitar marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Jeff
Jeff added it
Dec 08, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Alex Birnel
Alex Birnel marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Pete Kelly
Pete Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Ralphz
Ralphz marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Christopher Nieman
Christopher Nieman marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Nancy Chappell
Nancy Chappell marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Party of the People: A History of the Democrats 85 Days: The Last Campaign of Robert Kennedy Marathon: The Pursuit of the Presidency 1972-1976 Joe Biden: A Life of Trial and Redemption Very Strange Bedfellows: The Short and Unhappy Marriage of Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew