The Year the Dream Died: Revisiting 1968 in America

The Year the Dream Died: Revisiting 1968 in America

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The assassination of Kennedy & Luther King, the Tet offensive in Vietnam, campus riots & the election of Nixon. The year is 1968 & for millions of Americans the dream of a nation facing up to basic problems at home & abroad were shattered.
Published June 1st 1998 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1997)

Scott
This book, which dedicates a chapter to each month of 1968, really gets into the weeds of all that happened socially and politically in that turbulent year. However, if you're willing to devote the effort, the book is remarkably insightful, providing striking parallels between that year and the one at hand. From the early primary battles involving a New York Senator, a Texan President overseeing an unpopular war, and even a Republican candidate named Romney, to the tragedies of that Spring and t...more
Kristen
Since I didn't grow up during this time period, I can't reflect on my own perspective, but I must say I really enjoyed this book. It provided a month-by-month recap of everything politics, culture, lifestyle for 1968. If you like history, Jules Witcover does a great job of making this more than just a textbook.
Bap
I was 18 in 1968, the year I graduated from high school and went to college. It was the year that I met my wife to be. It was also the year the Robert Kennedy was shot and Martin Luther King assasinated. It was a watershed year but this book does not capture it.
Rachel Blom
Fascinating account of 1968, the year the dream died. I love this way of telling history, where the bigger narrative and the personal are mixed. A lot of useful and interesting background on RFK and MLK. Loved this book!
Nick Black
Richly detailed -- an excellent retelling of events, but not insightful enough to really be a magnificent history.
JRB
Though not all encompassing, an easy introduction to 1968.
Nancy Chappell
Nancy Chappell marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Abbey Brennan
Abbey Brennan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Scott Smith
Scott Smith is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2014
Thomas Gerhardy
Thomas Gerhardy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Nora MacLean
Nora MacLean marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2013
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Csomay
Csomay marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Richard Larsen
Richard Larsen is currently reading it
May 01, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Sheridan
Sheridan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Party of the People: A History of the Democrats 85 Days: The Last Campaign of Robert Kennedy Marathon Very Strange Bedfellows: The Short and Unhappy Marriage of Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew Joe Biden: A Life of Trial and Redemption